Proposal: EDM - DET Unsexy trade

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I agree with what you are saying on hits and misses. On the comparisons by age you list above, it is obvious that his North American development stalled but he dealt with the situation by going to Europe. This player was dealt a bad hand with the coaching and management zoo the oilers had going on. He left to Finland and had a productive year in a much lower tier of hockey. If he had those numbers in that league 3 years ago we would be jumping for joy, but now it’s tainted?

I feel Drouin And Both Stromes are good comparable sales for Puljujarvi”s situation. They are not the players they were projected to be but they are still nhl players.
I agree that Pulju can still be an NHL player, but what is his value is the question. People have said a 2nd and a 3rd or 4th and Oilers fans are not interested - which I totally understand. The issue with Pulju is that he seemed to regress in his development whereas the players you have mentioned all progressed through their first 4 years post draft. In fact I think every player you mentioned but Schenn had 40 or more point seasons in the NHL by the time they were JP's age (exception Kadri who was well on his way but the lockout shortened season prevented them from getting 50 but was on pace for well over that mark). I was one of the people that thought JP was a no miss prospect after watching him at the WJC, and for the right price I would take him on my team, but that's the rub - whats the right price?

brenden

Jul 17, 2010
:wings

Jesse Puljujarvi

:edmonton

Edmonton's 2020 2nd round pick
Edmonton's 2020 4th round pick

Not super exciting but makes sense value-wise.
That is a very unsexy trade for the Oilers. It would be an easy, easy, eeeaaasssyyy no I would think.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I agree that Pulju can still be an NHL player, but what is his value is the question. People have said a 2nd and a 3rd or 4th and Oilers fans are not interested - which I totally understand. The issue with Pulju is that he seemed to regress in his development whereas the players you have mentioned all progressed through their first 4 years post draft. In fact I think every player you mentioned but Schenn had 40 or more point seasons in the NHL by the time they were JP's age (exception Kadri who was well on his way but the lockout shortened season prevented them from getting 50 but was on pace for well over that mark). I was one of the people that thought JP was a no miss prospect after watching him at the WJC, and for the right price I would take him on my team, but that's the rub - whats the right price?

It makes more sense to bring him back and try to see if you can tap into that potential.

Why trade him for a 2nd if that's all he's worth when if he comes back next year and plays like garbage you can still trade him for a 3rd.

There's no upside to trading him at this point unless the return is something of value.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Sens gave up a 3rd for Filatov. Blues gave up a 3rd for Yakupov. Those would be the more accurate comparables imo.

Sens got a 2nd for Lazar, but lets not joke around unproductive young players generally don't get even marginal assets. They get reclamation project types that currently have lower than 2nd round pick value.
I don't think he is in Yakupov or Filatov territory yet.

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
I don't think he is in Yakupov or Filatov territory yet.
He's a split between the relative ages of when those two were traded. I get Oilers fans wanting to give him another go next year, but if the Oilers plan is to put him on a 3rd line with AA and a plug center his value is going to be lower than both by the end.

Reactions: TSA0402

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
He's a split between the relative ages of when those two were traded. I get Oilers fans wanting to give him another go next year, but if the Oilers plan is to put him on a 3rd line with AA and a plug center his value is going to be lower than both by the end.
Depends on what he shows and who he clicks with. Kassian is in the top 6 because no one else has shown to be better.
Right side of Pulju Yama Kassian Archibald would be very good if Pulju can click with RNH-McD as linemates

Its really up to him and not Oilers.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Ok... better question what has he done to distinguish himself in a different class? Complete player only goes so far, if you cannot produce on the offensive end of the ice.

Well if you watch him play you can tell right off he has a better understanding of the game of hockey than Yak did. It's not about looking at box scores.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Ok... better question what has he done to distinguish himself in a different class? Complete player only goes so far, if you cannot produce on the offensive end of the ice.
Part of the reason those others had so little value is that all they were good for was scoring but they were bad at that too. Pulujarvi can and likely will still end up a middle six winger. AMD his recent interview suggests we don't need to trade him anyway. Those other two were moved because they had no place on their teams. Edmonton has holes for Pulujarvi to come fill.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Part of the reason those others had so little value is that all they were good for was scoring but they were bad at that too. Pulujarvi can and likely will still end up a middle six winger. AMD his recent interview suggests we don't need to trade him anyway. Those other two were moved because they had no place on their teams. Edmonton has holes for Pulujarvi to come fill.

This is entirely the point. Not meant on bashing the Oilers, but if Puljujarvi was as being advertised on this thread, he likely shouldn't have made it to Bakersfield. He surely shouldn't be playing in Finland. That is the entire disconnect.

When Oilers need to trade with Ottawa Sens to find depth wingers and he is playing in Europe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad