Proposal: EDM-COL

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
To COL: Nuge, Bouchard, Chiasson

To EDM: Kerfoot, Makar

While it’s highly unlikely the Avs would want to part with Makar, I’m hoping this is the type of overpayment that gets it done. I feel the gap between Nuge and Kerfoot is greater than Makar and Bouchard. With that said, Makar is closer to being NHL ready and more dynamic than Bouchard which the Oil need desperately (ie: not playing Russell in the top 4 and send Benning to the moon). The move forces Drai to play 2C permanently (where he should be to truly earn his contract). Kerfoot could be a good 3C.

The Avs already have Barrie and EJ on the right side, so they could afford to give Bouchard the necessary year in the AHL. Nuge gives them a high end 2C with good 2 way play and versatility - could also play LW with Mackinnon should they continue to experiment Soderberg in between Rantanen and Landeskog. Chiasson is a cheap impending UFA who has proven a capable middle 6er, a modest sweetener if the Avs are playoff bound.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
i think mcdavid would take a vacation if edmonton traded 2 of the 3 other players on the team who have done anything this year

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Barrie for RNH has always been the most fair trade possible IMO and I would assume most Oilers fans would agree. The problem at this point is that the Oilers really can’t afford to lose another good forward as there’s not much left on the roster or in the pipeline that look to be legitimate top 6 kinds of players

Reactions: Mac Attack

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Oh hellllll no

Makar is damn good, but Bouchard is a stud himself. The upgrade from Bouch to Makar isn't worth the downgrade from Nuge to Kerfoot. Our forward group in its current state is pitiful, we can't afford to bleed even more talent at the forward positions.

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
The Oilers don't have the assets to overpay for anyone at this point. Some smart trades are in order and not losing value with each move.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Barrie for RNH has always been the most fair trade possible IMO and I would assume most Oilers fans would agree. The problem at this point is that the Oilers really can’t afford to lose another good forward as there’s not much left on the roster or in the pipeline that look to be legitimate top 6 kinds of players

Agreed.

Neither team would want to move Makar or Bouchard.

Reactions: 780il

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Roof Daddy what are you doing

Staaaaahp.

I admit it’s a significant overpay currently, but we aren’t doing shit this year and sadly are forced to look forward to next year. It depends greatly on how you view the difference between Bouchard and Makar. I think Makar is a decent bet to be EK65 v2.0. It wouldn’t shock me if a lot of Avs fans hate this despite the overpay,

If Bouchard hits his ceiling, he’s John Carlson. If Makar hits his, he’s EK. Take both those players in their primes and there’s not enough add ons in a trade you could make to turn JC to EK. It’s a gamble I’m willing to make. And it makes us better next year - Makar can play top 4 next year, Bouchard needs a season in the AHL (and gain cap space to add a winger due to differenc in salary between Nuge and Kerfoot).

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Agreed.

Neither team would want to move Makar or Bouchard.
Personally I would like Barrie for RNH since I’ve always liked the Nuge but the Oilers probably have more faith in Bouchard as a good righty PMD in 2-3 years than they do Puljujarvi/Yamamoto/2019 1st as top 6 forwards.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012

Plus an expansion draft is coming up soon.

No interest in that from an Edmonton perspective.

If the Oilers trade Nuge to the Avs I want Makar plus not Barrie.

I'm sure some Avs fan are going to say no way they'd ever do that but that's the only type of Nuge deal that makes sense to me.

Why trade him in a 1 for 1 deal for a now player that doesn't actually make the team any better?

Reactions: 780il

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017

I'm sure some Avs fan are going to say no way they'd ever do that but that's the only type of Nuge deal that makes sense to me.

Why trade him in a 1 for 1 deal for a now player that doesn't actually make the team any better?
You hit the nail on the head with the last paragraph which is what I was referring to in my original post. The value is fair I think most would agree with that, but the Oilers have already bled too many top 6 forwards to trade another away. RNH and Barrie affect the game around the same, and the Oilers obviously desperately need a right handed puck moving D, but they need forwards just as bad so it’s just robbing Peter to pay Paul.

It’s actually kind of tough to make “now” trades from an Oilers perspective, the players are either too valuable to lose or not valuable enough to return anything. The cap situation obviously also makes things very diffficult. Waiting on Bouchard to fill that puck moving d slot may take multiple years but it’s probably the best course of action at this point.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton

Makar is going nowhere let alone add to him. I predict Makar will have way more value than RNH 10 games into his NHL career. He's going to be a player.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Makar is NHL ready and looking like he'll be an impact player. Can't see Avs trading him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad