Confirmed Trade: [EDM/CHI] Duncan Keith and Tim Soderlund for Caleb Jones and Conditional 2nd/3rd round pick | Part 2

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Is he though? The eye test and especially the analytical test say otherwise. The Oilers didn't necessarily didn't give up a lot, but given the situation, they paid quite the price for a huge risk just to get some leadership.
The eye test is saying he is. He was played in a role he shouldn't have been in with changing rookie partners.
yep... Keith is still a 2nd pairing guy that will play good in a 2nd pairing role.

I'm calling it one of the better moves EDM has pulled off in the last 1-2-3 years. They needed to break the losing culture and only can do it paying for some players coming from winning cultures/teams.

BeersHockey

Jun 15, 2011
Chicago, IL
What a win-win for Holland. If DK stinks, HFBoards told him so already; if he play above expectations and helps Oilers win, genius.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
The eye test is saying he is. He was played in a role he shouldn't have been in with changing rookie partners.
yep... Keith is still a 2nd pairing guy that will play good in a 2nd pairing role.

I'm calling it one of the better moves EDM has pulled off in the last 1-2-3 years. They needed to break the losing culture and only can do it paying for some players coming from winning cultures/teams.
Well he will be on a better team at a lesser role. The Oilers have had worse guys than him in the second pairing so he will upgrade that. Just the cap hit is too high. He was good against the Oilers during the play-in series the previous season so hopefully he still has some gas in the tank.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Odd that Holland would spend that $5.5m on Keith before spending some or all of it on Larsson. Why the rush?
Lets get a 38 year old who really wants to play here #4 dman at best, before I sign my 28 year old UFA #2 dman... odd.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Not a fan of either team but I don't think it's that bad a deal for Edmonton. Keith can still play and with Nurse eating the big minutes he won't be relied on so much so you can trim his minutes and keep him fresh. It's only for 2 years on the only important contract you need to sign in that time is Nurse who you'll have money for still. Maybe they could have gotten Chicago to take Turris to free up some cap, he probably is demoted again so you have a 600k dead cap that could've been moved out. Then you're looking at Keith at 4.9M for this season. I think it'll work out for both teams.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Wow the Leafs missed out. They had zero interest in Keith?

Looks like Larsson will not be back. Huge upgraded none the less.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
At the end of the day I think Keith is probably our third best d-man, that's with Larsson re-signing.

We have been waiting for d-men to finally step up and take a spot for years and they just haven't. At some point you have to add proven NHLers and let the kids steal the jobs. Not have a couple NHLers and hope that the d take a step forward.

I don't like the cap hit on Keith, but he makes our team better today.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Wow the Leafs missed out. They had zero interest in Keith?

Looks like Larsson will not be back. Huge upgraded none the less.
Keith didn't want to go to Toronto. He wanted West coast and Edmonton was his #1 choice.

I also don't think this is tied to Larsson. One is LD one is RD. It does at least bring in a 2nd pairing guy just in case Larsson does leave, but if he does leave I suspect we are targeting another d-man to replace him.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
No matter how you look at the stats, Keith has been pretty bad the last few years. Lowering his minutes below 20 per game should help, but how much, who knows? His real value at this point is in his leadership. I'm not sure that's worth $5+ million a year though.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
This seems like a luxury trade the Oilers didn't really need. Would have better off allocating $$$ for supplemental scoring to take some pressure off of McDrai.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
No matter how you look at the stats, Keith has been pretty bad the last few years. Lowering his minutes below 20 per game should help, but how much, who knows? His real value at this point is in his leadership. I'm not sure that's worth $5+ million a year though.

Did Boqvist & Mitchell take huge strides forward because of Keith or something?

I haven't watched a single Hawks game this season, but analytics are showing Keith dragged THEM down.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The Oilers finally get out from under some of Chia’s bad deals and get some cap space to help McDavid and Drai and then spend $5.5 million of it on a declining 38 year old D and then throw in a pick as the cherry on top. I was optimistic that Holland was going to turn things around but he looks as bad as Chia’s predecessors. What a waste of an opportunity to improve the depth up front and support his two work horses.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
I think keith will impress next year as 2nd paring guy, do not put him on the PP just the PK. I still think Ed overpaid and hawks got more of what they wanted, but keith seemed to deal with personal issues. new Def system ETC and was more about focus and effort then physical ability. he still moves pretty well and has a great stick on D.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
So Klefbom is never going to play again, or is going to Seattle? Is that Kenny's strategy, he only really added the difference between Keith and Klefbom?

hawksfan1979

Oct 7, 2017
Chicago, IL
So I've been reading a few people here say that "If Keith retires after one year, then look out recapture penalty...". Do people think that really will happen? Seriously? I mean, I suppose anything can be possible, but especially after the Blackhawks actually gave Keith his wishes to be nearer his kid, it would seem kind of crappy to retire and screw the franchise he won multiple Cups with. I"m trying to figure out why this is an actual talking point....

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

there isn't a losing culture on the Oilers. They were 4th in the west last year, and 2nd in the North division this season. Having some disappointing playoffs doesn't make them a losing team. They need to fill the holes on the roster.

The only way the trade makes sense is if Keith can actually be a great 2nd pair LHD. I don't see much value in the leadership. I'm not writing off his ability though. We'll see.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Should have acquired Keith Yandle, he's never won a cup, creating a "win it for Bourqie" type scenario

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
Did Boqvist & Mitchell take huge strides forward because of Keith or something?

I haven't watched a single Hawks game this season, but analytics are showing Keith dragged THEM down.

Boqvist showed signs but Mitchell should have been in the AHL

He was essentially babysitting D partners on a team with a non existent system and a ton of rookies all over the lineup. We had up to 8 rookies in a game at times last year

Guy isn’t what he once was but he’s a capable second pair D in a real defensive system with a partner who is competent and also a second pair caliber player

He can’t carry around guys like TVR or Rundblad anymore like once upon a time but the advanced stats only tell part of the story here

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
So I've been reading a few people here say that "If Keith retires after one year, then look out recapture penalty...". Do people think that really will happen? Seriously? I mean, I suppose anything can be possible, but especially after the Blackhawks actually gave Keith his wishes to be nearer his kid, it would seem kind of crappy to retire and screw the franchise he won multiple Cups with. I"m trying to figure out why this is an actual talking point....

Keith just signed on with a new agent (Gerry Johanson who is a big time agent) who will not get paid a cent for the next 2 years. The agent clearly thinks that Keith is playing beyond this contract. Given his physical conditioning, a return to 2nd pairing form might mean a number of years in Edmonton.

IMO, there is zero chance he retires after this year

Superlative Soup

Treasured and Marveled
Apr 8, 2013
Saskatchewan
Keith isnt the defenseman he was 5 years ago, but he is still a very useful top 4 dman by the eye test. He is excellent defending through the neutral zone still. His stick is still sharp. He wont score many goals or knock a bunch of guys off the puck but he'll be effective if he plays ~18 minutes a night.

Edit - im not sure whether this was bad value wise because i havent seen Edmonton play much, but people are seriously been underselling keith. Oilers fans claim Jones isnt much of anything, a 3rd isnt all that much in the long run either. This could be a good deal for the oilers if they make the right moves with cap space they have left.
Lasik is a very routine procedure these days.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
This whole arguement about a team retaining a leaving players salary is absurd. Keith is still an amazing player whom has the knowledge, winning attitude and work ethic along with many trophies and experiences that a young edmonton team lacks in order to go on a deep playoff run or even make the playoffs.

Your not going to find a solid defenseman in free agency with Keith's pedigree or price . Going younger or bringing in some big name free agent at a ridiculous price doesn't equate to winning. Look at Toronto lots of talent but no chemistry or crystal clear voice leading them past the 1st round.

Keith gives Edmonton's backend stability. Especially knowing your top d man is out for the season and Nurse while he is solid , he doesn't possess the leadership needed or experience neither does McDavid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad