Confirmed Trade: [EDM/CHI] Duncan Keith and Tim Soderlund for Caleb Jones and Conditional 2nd/3rd round pick | Part 2

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
I think you’re overestimating Jones a bit here. He’s not that good and the Oilers have plenty of good young d-men coming up that could replace him ! o_O
I can care less about Jones.

Getting that cap hit gone was worth more then the return.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I just don't understand making such a massive gamble on a 38 year old defenseman coming off 2 horrid seasons rebounding. Even if Keith plays well and is top 4ish quality there is limited upside to this deal. And a lot of downside if he struggles. Would be about a 1/4 of their cap going to useless players. That's cap space that could have gone to getting McDavid and Draisaitl some legitimate top 6 help.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
This seems bad but then again everyone was clowning the caps for getting Brooks Orpik and that turned out great for them so who knows

Yes but common sense is that Washington had the pieces in place already. Signing Orpik was one of those, "bring in the odd veteran" because you can never have too many when a team is deep and can make a run. EDM is...well. EDM is EDM. lol

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Is Soderlund basically just a contract moving out from Chicago or does he have any potential 'Hawks fans?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I just don't understand making such a massive gamble on a 38 year old defenseman coming off 2 horrid seasons rebounding. Even if Keith plays well and is top 4ish quality there is limited upside to this deal. And a lot of downside if he struggles. Would be about a 1/4 of their cap going to useless players. That's cap space that could have gone to getting McDavid and Draisaitl some legitimate top 6 help.

f9442f55-9460-4762-af2d-6932cefb667e-AP_Oilers_Holland_Hockey_EDM1.jpg

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
This is the worst trade in a long time. 5.5 million for a declining 38 year old. There are now over 20 GMs who are cursing their luck that they didn't get hold of Holland....
Oh, and doing the trade just before the exp draft means Larsson is gone

Reactions: DarksideGhost

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
This is the worst trade in a long time. 5.5 million for a declining 38 year old. There are now over 20 GMs who are cursing their luck that they didn't get hold of Holland....
Oh, and doing the trade just before the exp draft means Larsson is gone
Have to agree. Nothing against DK but with no retention, the Oilers got hosed....yes also means Larsson is gone . Hearing several east coast teams have interest in Larsson including Philly and Pittsburgh.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Sad to see Duncs go but it was for the best. He wanted to be near his kid and after over 1,000 games of service, he earned that right. While he was outstanding in all 3 cup runs, watching him in 2015 was truly a treat.

Happy with the return. Jones is someone I liked a lot before the trade and the fact that we didn't have to retain made it only that much better.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Thats a steep price to pay for leadership and experience.
It's not that far off. He'd be getting a 2x 4.0 as UFA. Paying that extra 1.5 won't kill a franchise.

Oilers need to do something and that was the right move. Winning Cups and being a future HoF will cost money, not assets.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I'm surprised Oiler fans are upset. Duncan Keith is one of the best defenseman pretty much ever. All the Oilers D-men are going to learn a ton from this move, plus Keith is still a usable top 4 dman. The cap hit is probably a bit too much, but the Oilers have to routinely overspend in free agency to get guys anyway, so chances are bang for buck the Oilers won't lose much on this deal. This is a hockey culture trade, and I think it'll be a home run for the Oilers.

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
Keith will help the Oilers. He's still a solid #4 D, but the value will come with leadership and experience. Something the Oilers really needed to bring in from outside.

Is he though? The eye test and especially the analytical test say otherwise. The Oilers didn't necessarily didn't give up a lot, but given the situation, they paid quite the price for a huge risk just to get some leadership.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
In the end how he performs and his impact on the team is what is going to matter. At worst he is still an upgrade on what they currently have on there left side defense. The cap hit is not ideal and too high but they still have cap space and there is still no excuses for Holland to not make moves to fill other areas of the team, including signing Larsson. I am still more concerned with the other moves the team makes this off-season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad