Proposal: EDM / BOS / CGY

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Main idea is to give Calgary futures, Edmonton to call up Broberg for full time nhl ice time, and Boston to lock up their top 4 long term with a guy that would no doubt sign an 8 year deal at 7-7.5m.

To EDM
Forbort - 3m
DeBrusk - 1.5m (25% (1m) retained by BOS, 50% (1.5m) by CGY)

To BOS
Hanifin (1 x 4.95m)
Duehr (2 x 800k)
2026 4th (EDM)

To CGY:
2025 1st (BOS)
Lysell
*Conditional 2024 1st* (EDM makes Conf. Finals, if not, 2024 2nd and 2025 3rd to CGY)
Holloway
Kulak/Ceci

Why Edmonton: Forbort and DeBrusk expire this season. Could probably sign DeBrusk at the same if not lower cap hit of 4m long term, Kulak/Ceci cap is cleared for future seasons with Forbort replacing them and expiring. Clears the path for Broberg to grab a top 4 spot with Nurse / Bouchard / Ekholm.

Why Boston: Hanifin is locked up long term, and I’m a firm believer he could take over H. Lindholm as the top pairing LD with McAvoy. If not, arguably the best #3 D in the league with a reliable D partner in Carlo.

Why Calgary: Getting younger prospects and picks. Hanifin is a great player and a bad loss, but Kulak/Ceci is a better stopgap while we let our D in the minors continue to grow. Holloway is a good prospect to grab, has some C time and hopefully can play C. If not, another great winger prospect for the Flames with a lot of promise.

Am I off in the valuations? I tried to put an emphasis on cap as the main driving factor in the valuations.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Don’t see why Boston would retain when they’re trying to contend. I think Boston gets sort of shafted here too. It’s not egregious but feel like they’re giving up too much

Edit: it is kind of egregious

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I don’t think this does much for Edmonton. We need to upgrade our top 4 d, broberg is not going to be that and neither is forbort. Cap space is nice but we can do that other ways.

Holloway is just starting to figure it out and is far more valuable than an expiring debrusk. And we lose a first?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I don’t think this does much for Edmonton. We need to upgrade our top 4 d, broberg is not going to be that and neither is forbort. Cap space is nice but we can do that other ways.

Holloway is just starting to figure it out and is far more valuable than an expiring debrusk. And we lose a first?
Clearing 3.25m in cap for next season (assuming you opt for Ceci) and DeBrusk is a clear upgrade on Holloway right now. If you’d rather retain Holloway then yes, perhaps the deal isn’t for Edmonton.

Don’t see why Boston would retain when they’re trying to contend. I think Boston gets sort of shafted here too. It’s not egregious but feel like they’re giving up too much

Hanifin for a 1st, Lysell, and 1m retention and ridding Forbort for a clear upgrade isn’t egregious but we all value differently.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012

Holloway isn’t a real NHL player at 22. DeBrusk has scored 27 goals twice, Holloway might not score 27 in his career.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Main idea is to give Calgary futures, Edmonton to call up Broberg for full time nhl ice time, and Boston to lock up their top 4 long term with a guy that would no doubt sign an 8 year deal at 7-7.5m.

To EDM
Forbort - 3m

To BOS
Hanifin (1 x 4.95m)
Duehr (2 x 800k)
2026 4th (EDM)

To CGY:
2025 1st (BOS)
Lysell
*Conditional 2024 1st* (EDM makes Conf. Finals, if not, 2024 2nd and 2025 3rd to CGY)
Holloway
Kulak/Ceci

Why Edmonton: Forbort and DeBrusk expire this season. Could probably sign DeBrusk at the same if not lower cap hit of 4m long term, Kulak/Ceci cap is cleared for future seasons with Forbort replacing them and expiring. Clears the path for Broberg to grab a top 4 spot with Nurse / Bouchard / Ekholm.

Why Boston: Hanifin is locked up long term, and I’m a firm believer he could take over H. Lindholm as the top pairing LD with McAvoy. If not, arguably the best #3 D in the league with a reliable D partner in Carlo.

Why Calgary: Getting younger prospects and picks. Hanifin is a great player and a bad loss, but Kulak/Ceci is a better stopgap while we let our D in the minors continue to grow. Holloway is a good prospect to grab, has some C time and hopefully can play C. If not, another great winger prospect for the Flames with a lot of promise.

Am I off in the valuations? I tried to put an emphasis on cap as the main driving factor in the valuations.
Boston hangs up before OP is done ranting. Awful for them.

Oilers add.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Clearing 3.25m in cap for next season (assuming you opt for Ceci) and DeBrusk is a clear upgrade on Holloway right now. If you’d rather retain Holloway then yes, perhaps the deal isn’t for Edmonton.

Hanifin for a 1st, Lysell, and 1m retention and ridding Forbort for a clear upgrade isn’t egregious but we all value differently.

Debrusk out with retention
Forbort out
1st out
Lysell out (not a blue chipper by any definition but arguably their best prospect)

For Hanifin is too steep imo

Reactions: TooMuchMan

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

Agreed. I don't see the Oilers moving Holloway at all at this point. Still on his ELC and looks good with the big club. Debrusk isn't an upgrade when you factor in his contract.

Boston hangs up before OP is done ranting. Awful for them.

Oilers add.

Huh? For what? Getting cap space?

Reactions: Czechboy

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

The Bruins don't view Forbort as a dump. He is their #1PKer and him being out and injured has sunk their PK from 1st or 2nd overall when he was in the lineup to middle of the pack.

You also are leaving out that the Bruins are giving up DeBrusk, too.

DeBrusk OR Lysell is something that can be discussed, but they ain't giving up both. They are already painfully short up front.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
The Bruins don't view Forbort as a dump. He is their #1PKer and him being out and injured has sunk their PK from 1st or 2nd overall when he was in the lineup to middle of the pack.

You also are leaving out that the Bruins are giving up DeBrusk, too.

DeBrusk OR Lysell is something that can be discussed, but they ain't giving up both. They are already painfully short up front.
Good points, Bruins should not give all that up for a player they can get in July, for the cost of a pen and paper................sign here son and welcome home.

Reactions: northeastern

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

D

To EDM
Forbort - 3m

To BOS
Hanifin (1 x 4.95m)
Duehr (2 x 800k)
2026 4th (EDM)

To CGY:
2025 1st (BOS)
Lysell
Holloway
Kulak/Ceci

debrusk (retained)
Forbert
1st
Lysell

For

Hanafin

Is just way too much for a guy who very well may just sign with them next season anyways.

bigbadbruins1

Dec 12, 2008
No thanks. Hanafin is nice but not at the cost you are posing. a top 6 winger, a bottom pairing d, a first, and one of our few blue chip prospects.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Feel like this is a tough one for Boston and doesn’t make sense for the Oilers for a multitude of reasons.

They aren’t playing Broberg as a top 4 D on the right side and if they are spending a potential first and Holloway they are probably aiming a little higher then Debrusk as wing options seem like they could be plentiful at the deadline. Forbort is not needed.

Reactions: TFHockey

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
How does this make the Oiler's closer to a cup this season?

We lost Kulak and Ceci and picked up Forbert and put Bro in the Top 4? This is going to make LV/Avs/Nucks worried?

We already have Bro, if that Cup plan is him in the top 4 we could just put him there tonight against Detroit. Not sure how Forbert is better than Kulak and Ceci combined?

Losing Hollo for a few months of Debrusk? Then we can sign Debrusk for 3x more than Hollo in offseason as a UFA?

So basically this trade cost us 3 players and we can promote an AHL player (which we could do today) and the inside edge on landing Debrusk as a UFA?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Agreed. I don't see the Oilers moving Holloway at all at this point. Still on his ELC and looks good with the big club. Debrusk isn't an upgrade when you factor in his contract.

Huh? For what? Getting cap space?
On the surface, sure, Debrusk is a better NHLer than Hollo today. That seems fair and reasonable to say.

BUT

He makes 925K and is cost controlled RFA who won't make much more next season
Debrusk is a UFA who makes 4 million who can sign wherever he wants in July

I don't mind trading Hollo for a rental but that rental would need to be Tanev, Walker or someone like that who can bump our D up.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I think some posters are under the impression Holloway isn't working out in Edmonton.

I think Edmonton fans would disagree. So there is a disconnect there that doesn't translate well when he is involved in trade proposals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad