Proposal: EDM / BOS / CGY

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
When Boston traded for Hampus Lindholm they gave up:

1st + 2nd + Vaakeninen for Hampus Lindholm (with 50% retention)

They sent along John Moore as a multiyear year cap dump for an additional 2nd.

From a Boston POV, the equivalent value would be:

2025 1st + 2026 2nd + Georgi Merkulov for Hanifin (with 50% retention)

There are obviously many variations on this value, and I think it's fair that the Bruins should have to pay an extra penalty for the 2nd not being until 2026.

But, 2025 1st + Lysell + DeBrusk (with retention) + Frobort for Hanfin is value in a different stratosphere.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I think some posters are under the impression Holloway isn't working out in Edmonton.

I think Edmonton fans would disagree. So there is a disconnect there that doesn't translate well when he is involved in trade proposals.
This is like the start of the season when we lost 20 games or more and there were all these trade proposals for McD, Drai and Bouch. Posters kind enough to offer us busted prospects and picks.lol

Hollo is not where he should be and I am disapointed but he's not a bust yet. Needs a healthy run and consistency. Trading him today would be bad because he is at his lowest point. Same with Bro, we aren't getting back what we want for them today. So keep them.

Ironically, I said this about McLeod earlier in the season when people were offering 4th round picks for him out of kindness.lol

Reactions: TFHockey

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
Can’t speak for other teams but this is pretty awful for Edmonton. Edmonton loses a 1st, Holloway and a good nhl d man for a lateral move at best on D and Debrusk who honestly doesn’t fit a need.

If rumors are true that Savard, Walker, etc are commanding 2nd or 1st round picks. To me Kulak and Ceci are similar players to Savard and Walker, so they are positive value assets at the very least.

Last edited:

stungun54

Apr 15, 2018
HFBoards since 2000
no from boston forbort is one of the best pk in the league. no trading draft picks from boston for a few years. why trade debrusk when you are leading the league. hannifin can be had for free this summer. this trade sucks.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I think some posters are under the impression Holloway isn't working out in Edmonton.

I think Edmonton fans would disagree. So there is a disconnect there that doesn't translate well when he is involved in trade proposals.
Holloway isn't putting up big numbers, so the thought here will be that he isn't doing well. He's doing fine, and there's no reason for the Oilers to move him now if we aren't getting the value that he brings to the team. We need cost controlled players moving forward too.

As per the OP, I think this is stacked pretty heavily in Calgary's favor. I don't think Edmonton would be interested in trading that full package for two rentals.

If this comes down to Hanafin to Boston for futures and salary to balance, I think there could be something done there, but including Edmonton just makes it too messy and convoluted.

Calgary makes out like bandits and the other two teams say no. If the Oilers are giving up a 1st and Holloway for a rental they better be aiming higher than a guy on pace for 40 points this season.
Exactly. We could probably get a Debrusk level player from a non-playoff team for one of the pick or Holloway, if we wanted to. If we're trading both of them, we'd better be aiming for Guentzel or someone along those lines.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Main idea is to give Calgary futures, Edmonton to call up Broberg for full time nhl ice time, and Boston to lock up their top 4 long term with a guy that would no doubt sign an 8 year deal at 7-7.5m.

To EDM
Forbort - 3m
DeBrusk - 1.5m (25% (1m) retained by BOS, 50% (1.5m) by CGY)

To BOS
Hanifin (1 x 4.95m)
Duehr (2 x 800k)
2026 4th (EDM)

To CGY:
2025 1st (BOS)
Lysell
*Conditional 2024 1st* (EDM makes Conf. Finals, if not, 2024 2nd and 2025 3rd to CGY)
Holloway
Kulak/Ceci

Why Edmonton: Forbort and DeBrusk expire this season. Could probably sign DeBrusk at the same if not lower cap hit of 4m long term, Kulak/Ceci cap is cleared for future seasons with Forbort replacing them and expiring. Clears the path for Broberg to grab a top 4 spot with Nurse / Bouchard / Ekholm.

Why Boston: Hanifin is locked up long term, and I’m a firm believer he could take over H. Lindholm as the top pairing LD with McAvoy. If not, arguably the best #3 D in the league with a reliable D partner in Carlo.

Why Calgary: Getting younger prospects and picks. Hanifin is a great player and a bad loss, but Kulak/Ceci is a better stopgap while we let our D in the minors continue to grow. Holloway is a good prospect to grab, has some C time and hopefully can play C. If not, another great winger prospect for the Flames with a lot of promise.

Am I off in the valuations? I tried to put an emphasis on cap as the main driving factor in the valuations.
Pass by Bruins

D

debrusk (retained)
Forbert
1st
Lysell

For

Hanafin

Is just way too much for a guy who very well may just sign with them next season anyways.
Boston should just wait a few more months and give up no assets to Calgary

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Main idea is to give Calgary futures, Edmonton to call up Broberg for full time nhl ice time, and Boston to lock up their top 4 long term with a guy that would no doubt sign an 8 year deal at 7-7.5m.

To EDM
Forbort - 3m
DeBrusk - 1.5m (25% (1m) retained by BOS, 50% (1.5m) by CGY)

To BOS
Hanifin (1 x 4.95m)
Duehr (2 x 800k)
2026 4th (EDM)

To CGY:
2025 1st (BOS)
Lysell
*Conditional 2024 1st* (EDM makes Conf. Finals, if not, 2024 2nd and 2025 3rd to CGY)
Holloway
Kulak/Ceci

Why Edmonton: Forbort and DeBrusk expire this season. Could probably sign DeBrusk at the same if not lower cap hit of 4m long term, Kulak/Ceci cap is cleared for future seasons with Forbort replacing them and expiring. Clears the path for Broberg to grab a top 4 spot with Nurse / Bouchard / Ekholm.

Why Boston: Hanifin is locked up long term, and I’m a firm believer he could take over H. Lindholm as the top pairing LD with McAvoy. If not, arguably the best #3 D in the league with a reliable D partner in Carlo.

Why Calgary: Getting younger prospects and picks. Hanifin is a great player and a bad loss, but Kulak/Ceci is a better stopgap while we let our D in the minors continue to grow. Holloway is a good prospect to grab, has some C time and hopefully can play C. If not, another great winger prospect for the Flames with a lot of promise.

Am I off in the valuations? I tried to put an emphasis on cap as the main driving factor in the valuations.
When did Hanifin sign a new contract? You are assuming a lot in this scenario and that’s a gross overpay for him

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Pass by Bruins

Boston should just wait a few more months and give up no assets to Calgary

I get that this particular trade is not good for Boston but I hate this take so much when it comes to pending UFAs

The “oh we’ll just get him for free”. Yeah maybe, along with 31 other teams. The team that trades for him gets him for a playoff run this year and probably has the best chance of signing him long term

Last edited:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I get that this particularly trade is not good for Boston but I hate this take so much when it comes to pending UFAs

The “oh we’ll just get him for free”. Yeah maybe, along with 31 other teams. The team that trades for him gets him for a playoff run this year and probably has the best chance of signing him long term

Yeah, I think Boston fans are overplaying their hand on that one. If he does get to UFA, I do agree that Boston would be a favorite, if not the favorite.

But the chances of him getting to UFA aren't great.

Last edited:

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Yeah, I think Boston fans are overplaying their hand on that one. If he does get to UFA, I do agree that Boston would be a favorite, if not the favorite.

But the chances of him getting to UFA aren't great.
Chances you have to take............and life goes on.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
This sucks for Boston, and Debrusk is going to earn far more than 4mil on his next deal. It will be probably be closer to 7mil per than it is to 4.

FU Shoresy

Jan 25, 2023
Why don't we throw in Swayman and Ullmark too? Maybe Marchand as well. Just give us a 7th round pick and all's good. You can have it all! 😂🤣

Yeah, no.
You forgot the proverbial bag of used pucks.

Big NO to the OP!

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
This sucks for Boston, and Debrusk is going to earn far more than 4mil on his next deal. It will be probably be closer to 7mil per than it is to 4.
Well if it is 7 mil then move on from him...........And if you know as of today that is his price work the phones and move him, something that many have called , me not being one of them, but even I, have my limits.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
How are the Oilers upgrading their defence with Forbort? He's not playing ahead of Nurse or Ekholm and the premise of your proposal is to give Broberg a chance.
Absolutely no need for Debrusk as our left side is just fine. He's not playing ahead of RNH or Kane and I'd argue he wouldn't play ahead of Foegele this season.
Fogele plays on the 3rd line and has 24 ES points this season. Debrusk has 16 ES points.
Plus Holloway, a conditional 1st and a fourth?
1000017260.gif

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
How are the Oilers upgrading their defence with Forbort? He's not playing ahead of Nurse or Ekholm and the premise of your proposal is to give Broberg a chance.
Absolutely no need for Debrusk as our left side is just fine. He's not playing ahead of RNH or Kane and I'd argue he wouldn't play ahead of Foegele this season.
Fogele plays on the 3rd line and has 24 ES points this season. Debrusk has 16 ES points.
Plus Holloway, a conditional 1st and a fourth?
View attachment 819366

Agree completely, just wanted to points out that DeBrusk has been over on RW for several years now.

Reactions: Homesick

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
I don't see the B's unloading any more 1st rounders. Way too much for Hanifin, particularly if they don't resign him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad