GDT: Edm at Car

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Looked at standings, got depressed again. one point back of Pittsburgh but we've played one more game than them. one point back of Cbus but we've played two more games than them.

Even more frustrating: If we were in the West we'd currently be occupying the #5 playoff spot.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Serious question for those who have been following hockey longer than me: Is 2018/2019 Aho the best player to ever play for the Hurricanes?

2005-06 Eric Staal was probably the best I've seen from an individual player in one season. Dude was on fire and fun to watch.

Aho of now is making a case for himself though.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
2005-06 Eric Staal was probably the best I've seen from an individual player in one season. Dude was on fire and fun to watch.

Aho of now is making a case for himself though.
This.

Francis is obviously the best player to suit up in a Canes jersey but he wasn't exactly in his prime when he came here. Also, while scoring was pretty insane the season after the lockout, Staal was still top 10 in scoring and scored 23 points more than Francis did in his best year with the Canes.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Full props to Teravainen. I've long thought of him as a complimentary player, but he's driving the 2nd line right now to the tune of PPG+ over the last quarter-season.

We're perhaps watching a good player blossom into a great player right now.

I kept saying he was criminally underrated by fans here.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Serious question for those who have been following hockey longer than me: Is 2018/2019 Aho the best player to ever play for the Hurricanes?

If we're just talking about one season, or a sustained stretch of individual excellence, I'd go Brindy in the 06 playoffs.

In terms of being dynamic and the guy where, when he gets the puck, everybody stands up knowing something awesome is about to happen, yeah, I'd give that to Aho. I don't think there's been a more visually exciting player on this team since Erik Cole was a rookie.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I'll take 05-06 Brindy and Staal over Aho still at this point, and that's not to slight Aho. Brindy was obviously a two way stud and had some crazy clutch moments in the playoffs. Staal was unbelievable that year offensively. He had 128 points that year including the playoffs. 128 points. And he absolutely took over games the way Aho does and definitely had the get you out of your seat factor that year at the very least. Not quite as flashy as Aho maybe, but pretty close that year.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Eric was exciting in his own way, but he was more of a heavy player with a long reach, and that served him well picking off passes and turning it back up ice. Aho is a more complete player in a lot of ways IMO, faster and more dynamic and better at getting his linemates involved. Don't think it needs to be pointed out too hard that he's much better defensively, too.

As far as the stats go, Eric's 100 points in 82 games in 05-06, when scoring was at the highest overall it had been in years, isn't that much better than Aho's 66 in 58 this year.

If Sebastian continues to score at roughly the same rate he has been, he's on pace for 93 points. I find that more impressive than Staal's 100, considering how much harder it is to score in the NHL now, and also considering that he doesn't have a Brind'Amour taking a lot of tougher minutes off his plate.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Interesting takes. Also of note, Staal was #7 in points that year to Aho's 16th thus far this year. Staal lead the playoffs in scoring too. We'll see what happens with Aho in that regard should we make it. Aho is tied for 32nd in goals. Staal was #8 in goals. To your point on league scoring, there were 7 100 point scorers that year, Staal included. The pace is currently at about 11 100 point scorers, though we'll see where that finishes. Of course I will give Aho the edge defensively. But I'll still take Staal from that year.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Staal was the scoring engine for the team that won our only Cup. For that one year, he was the best player in the history of the franchise, no doubt in my mind.

Part of the reason we were all so disappointed by Staal is that we thought he'd keep getting better, and the team along with him. Just didn't work out that way. Too much garbage around him, too cheap. A lot of wasted years. Tough to think about.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Staal was the scoring engine for the team that won our only Cup. For that one year, he was the best player in the history of the franchise, no doubt in my mind.

Part of the reason we were all so disappointed by Staal is that we thought he'd keep getting better, and the team along with him. Just didn't work out that way. Too much garbage around him, too cheap. A lot of wasted years. Tough to think about.

same with skinner as it pertains to not following the traditional developmental path of actually getting better the more years you play. 05-06 eric was dominant on a nightly basis. if erik cole never gets hurt, it would be wild to think how many points he finishes with that season. he was on pace for 120 points through the majority of that season.

for my money, brind'amour in his resurgent second act with carolina was better than francis during his second tour of duty in carolina. what francis did for a player of his age was remarkable, but the edge to brindy for me.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Canes return home, turn back McDavid, Oilers
By Chip Alexander
The Canes (30-22-6), returning from a 4-1 road trip that was their best since 1998, began the game three points out of playoff position in the Eastern Conference. They’re now 15-5-1 since New Year’s Eve -- the most wins and points in the NHL in that 21-game stretch -- but still chasing the Pittsburgh Penguins and Columbus Blue Jackets, with no room for slippage.
“I think everybody knows exactly what kind of position we’re in,” Niederreiter said. “Everybody needs to get points to make the playoffs and I feel like we’re right there. We need a big push to get there and every game matters a lot, so we’ve got to make sure we win the close ones.
“It’s coming down to playoff hockey and who wants it more, and we need to make sure we find ways to battle out games like tonight. It definitely wasn’t our best hockey we’ve played, but we found a way to win and that’s what matters.”
McElhinney was the Canes’ best player much of the game. He allowed an early goal to Leon Draisaitl as the Oilers converted on a two-on-one rush but was calm and steady after it on a night when the Canes were outshot 41-27, when the Oilers’ Connor McDavid again demonstrated why he’s the league’s most explosive player.
“He’s not hard to spot out there,” McElhinney said. “He’s flying 100 miles an hour and you can see him coming from 200 feet away. He’s special, just a combination of skills and speed. He’s a treat to watch.”
“Nino has been lights-out since he arrived,” Canes coach Rod Brind’Amour said.
Read more here: Canes return home, turn back McDavid, Oilers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad