GDT: Edm at Car

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
As someone who is still irked that we kept Sparks over McBackup, I’m so so happy he’s continued his strong strong performance with Carolina.

Like, Sparks is winning around half his games, and has a .908, so he’s about average, but McBackup did nothing to lose his job, and a contending team like us should be sticking with the best goalie, not trying to develop a backup goalie.

Oh well, Dubas’ mistake is the Hurricanes gain!

Hopefully he continues his strong play

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Murray, Dauer, Belanger, Singleton, Lowenstein, Bumbry, Roenicke, Dempsey, Palmer. And Earl screaming at the umps the whole time.

Those were good days.

Dave McNally, Jim Palmer, Pat Dobson, Mike Cuellar - last team to have four 20 game winners.

I have the program from the World Series Game 7 that year (was there w/my Dad)....Orioles lost to the Pirates...Roberto Clemente hit a home run in that game. Been an Orioles fan all my life....and have ruined my kids by turning them into O's fans.

2005-06 Eric Staal was probably the best I've seen from an individual player in one season. Dude was on fire and fun to watch.

Aho of now is making a case for himself though.

Often overlooked was Eric Staal's performance during the 2008-2009 run. That was the year where he literally put the team on his back, went into beast mode, and single-handedly won games. He had more points in 05-06 post-season, but, for my money, he was more impactful in 08-09.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
There's not much competition...
Disagree.

- Brindy for Primeau.

- almost nothing for Justin Williams. People often forgot how domimant was Willy 05-07.

- Teravainen for nothing.

- Jokinen for Melichar, Brookbank.

- Pitkanen for Cole was good trade. Erik wasn't good for Oilers.

- one of most underrated trades was Hedican/Adams for Ozo. Great trade.

- Tlusty for Paradis.

- Martinook for Kruger LOL.

- Sekera for McBain LOL LOL.

- Scott Walker for Vasicek was good one even though i love big Joe.

- Seidenberg for Adams?

- Cullen for Hutchinson.

- 2005 3rd round pick for Commodore.

- Gerber for Malec.

JR have so many good trades honestly. Some bad ones for sure but he was good trader.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Eric was exciting in his own way, but he was more of a heavy player with a long reach, and that served him well picking off passes and turning it back up ice. Aho is a more complete player in a lot of ways IMO, faster and more dynamic and better at getting his linemates involved. Don't think it needs to be pointed out too hard that he's much better defensively, too.

As far as the stats go, Eric's 100 points in 82 games in 05-06, when scoring was at the highest overall it had been in years, isn't that much better than Aho's 66 in 58 this year.

If Sebastian continues to score at roughly the same rate he has been, he's on pace for 93 points. I find that more impressive than Staal's 100, considering how much harder it is to score in the NHL now, and also considering that he doesn't have a Brind'Amour taking a lot of tougher minutes off his plate.

Just as an FYI, as I agree with your overall point, scoring in 2018-2019 is only .03 goals per game lower than 05-06.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Serious question for those who have been following hockey longer than me: Is 2018/2019 Aho the best player to ever play for the Hurricanes?

Weird phrasing makes it impossible to answer that question, actually. It's weird because singling out 2018-19 implies "best season," but I don't think that's what you're asking. I think I know what you're asking, though, so here goes.

The best "season" by a Hurricanes player was hands-down, Eric Staal's 2005-06 (which, coincidentally, was his age 21 season, just as 2018-19 is Aho's age 21 season). Staal had 100 points (45g, 55a), was second-team, post-season All-Star and finished fourth in Hart Trophy voting. I don't think Aho will reach any of those peaks this season. Then Staal went on to win the Cup, and we can only be so lucky with Aho. The 2005-06 Eric Staal was the best player to ever play for the Hurricanes, IMO.

But Staal's production fell off 30 points the next season. Although he did produce at a 70-point level for seven seasons after his big season, he was really *that* player for only one season. Aho's career has had a better arc to this point than Staal's. He had a better rookie season, and he continued to trend upward in his second season, which was an AHL season for Staal due to the NHL lockout. (Not that Staal didn't develop in the AHL. He clearly did. It's just that it wasn't the NHL, and though no fault of his own, not as impressive as Aho's 29-goal, 65-point second season in the NHL.)

I don't think Staal's 2005-06 season was a "fluke" by any means, but it definitely came out of the blue and stands out in context with the rest of his career, now that we can look back at it. Aho's current season is more of a natural progression of a young player, and -- although there's no way to know this for sure -- it seems more sustainable than Staal's 2005-06 turned out to be.

If I had a choice *right now* of adding a 21-year-old Eric Staal, knowing what I know of how his career turned out, or a 21-year-old Sebastian Aho, knowing only what I know at this moment, I'd take Aho. And that's not to belittle what Eric Staal accomplished. He needs 41 points for 1,000 NHL points. He's probably a Hall of Famer. I just think 34-year-old Aho will be remembered as a better player than 34-year-old Staal.

So, in that respect, I think yes, the current version of Aho *is* the best player ever to play for the Hurricanes.

I'm pretty sure I just totally confused myself.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Weird phrasing makes it impossible to answer that question, actually. It's weird because singling out 2018-19 implies "best season," but I don't think that's what you're asking. I think I know what you're asking, though, so here goes.

The best "season" by a Hurricanes player was hands-down, Eric Staal's 2005-06 (which, coincidentally, was his age 21 season, just as 2018-19 is Aho's age 21 season). Staal had 100 points (45g, 55a), was second-team, post-season All-Star and finished fourth in Hart Trophy voting. I don't think Aho will reach any of those peaks this season. Then Staal went on to win the Cup, and we can only be so lucky with Aho. The 2005-06 Eric Staal was the best player to ever play for the Hurricanes, IMO.

But Staal's production fell off 30 points the next season. Although he did produce at a 70-point level for seven seasons after his big season, he was really *that* player for only one season. Aho's career has had a better arc to this point than Staal's. He had a better rookie season, and he continued to trend upward in his second season, which was an AHL season for Staal due to the NHL lockout. (Not that Staal didn't develop in the AHL. He clearly did. It's just that it wasn't the NHL, and though no fault of his own, not as impressive as Aho's 29-goal, 65-point second season in the NHL.)

I don't think Staal's 2005-06 season was a "fluke" by any means, but it definitely came out of the blue and stands out in context with the rest of his career, now that we can look back at it. Aho's current season is more of a natural progression of a young player, and -- although there's no way to know this for sure -- it seems more sustainable than Staal's 2005-06 turned out to be.

If I had a choice *right now* of adding a 21-year-old Eric Staal, knowing what I know of how his career turned out, or a 21-year-old Sebastian Aho, knowing only what I know at this moment, I'd take Aho. And that's not to belittle what Eric Staal accomplished. He needs 41 points for 1,000 NHL points. He's probably a Hall of Famer. I just think 34-year-old Aho will be remembered as a better player than 34-year-old Staal.

So, in that respect, I think yes, the current version of Aho *is* the best player ever to play for the Hurricanes.

I'm pretty sure I just totally confused myself.

Makes perfect sense, actually, and I agree with pretty much all of it.

Staal also benefited hugely from the we-actually-call-interference rules, I suspect. Aho fights through that kind of stuff in way that Staal never did.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Staal was 8th in goals, 7th in points in 05-06, 5th in goals in 08-09, 6th in points in 12-13, and 4th in goals in 17-18.

Aho is having a great season, but I don't think he's as close to the top of the league as Eric was.

I was thinking about Aho, and trying to think of what his comparables are. A smaller player that doesn't rely on blazing speed or ridiculous hands. He's just really good at everything in a smaller package. Curious what others come up with for that.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Makes perfect sense, actually, and I agree with pretty much all of it.

Staal also benefited hugely from the we-actually-call-interference rules, I suspect. Aho fights through that kind of stuff in way that Staal never did.

And Staal also benefited by playing on one of the deepest (in terms of forwards) teams that the Canes ever had. So while he was "the guy", he didn't have to be "the guy".
  • That team had four 30+G scorers, two 20+ goal scorers and Ray Whitney (who had 17G in 63 games).
  • They had four 70+ point players, plus Cole with 59P in 60 games, Whitney with 55P in 63G and Cullen with 49P in 78 games.
  • Then on top of it, they added Weight (57 points that year) and Recchi (28G, 64P) mid season / deadline.
A lot of people forget just how talented and deep that forward group was that year. I still agree with Kev that Staal's 05/06 season was the best by a Hurricane though and more impressive. Aho's situation is more akin to many of Staal's 70-80 point seasons when he had little to no help.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Staal was 8th in goals, 7th in points in 05-06, 5th in goals in 08-09, 6th in points in 12-13, and 4th in goals in 17-18.

Aho is having a great season, but I don't think he's as close to the top of the league as Eric was.

I was thinking about Aho, and trying to think of what his comparables are. A smaller player that doesn't rely on blazing speed or ridiculous hands. He's just really good at everything in a smaller package. Curious what others come up with for that.

Zetterberg. He's reminded me of Zetterberg from early on.

Zetterberg is an inch taller, but was pretty thin early on and was closer to 195 near the end so he was a bit bigger, but their style of play are similar to me.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
We also had Cole/Williams/Whitney/Stillman/Brindy/Cullen on that team, and then Recchi and Weight later on. That team was an offensive powerhouse at 3.58 goals per game. Current team averages 2.93 goals per game. If Aho continues at this pace and scores 93 points on a team that averages half a goal less, that's way more impressive to me than Staal's 05-06.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
FWIW, Canes current scoring pace would give them 240 goals at season's end. The 05-06 team had 294 goals total. Aho's current scoring pace is 93 points. Staal scored 100 points.

That would mean Aho participated in 38.75% of his team's goals, whereas Staal particpated in 34.01% of his.

But there's a lot of assumption going on here.

Aho playing with Stillman/Cole with post-lockout officiating would be bonkers.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Aho looks like he will could the best but he still has to do the work. Before this season he was probably on an Cole/Williams/O’Neill path as a winger, and he would have to be a 30 goal guy for a couple of years to be really comparable there. Now as a center he’s just beginning the path to catch Francis/Brindy/Staal.

He could easily be the best, but he’s years away.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008

Don't get me started on the state of NHL officiating right now. I think the NHL should be very afraid of what happens in the near future if fans of small market teams really start to feel like the fix is in.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
FWIW, Canes current scoring pace would give them 240 goals at season's end. The 05-06 team had 294 goals total. Aho's current scoring pace is 93 points. Staal scored 100 points.

That would mean Aho participated in 38.75% of his team's goals, whereas Staal particpated in 34.01% of his.

Are you saying if the current 3rd line was better, then Aho's production would be less impressive? I don't follow this team total thing.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Zetterberg. He's reminded me of Zetterberg from early on.

Zetterberg is an inch taller, but was pretty thin early on and was closer to 195 near the end so he was a bit bigger, but their style of play are similar to me.

I was looking at Zetterberg stats. Then I went to look at Datsyuk stats. And Pavel is listed as an Arizona Coyote which I forgot, and is fun.

But Zetterberg might be a good comparison, although I'm struggling to remember his style of play.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Are you saying if the current 3rd line was better, then Aho's production would be less impressive? I don't follow this team total thing.

Just pointing out that Aho has to play a bigger role than Staal did back then. It's nothing against Eric, but it's a lot easier to score when you have a Brindy or JStaalo behind you chewing up all the tough defensive minutes.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Hot taek... slowly losing my enjoyment of the post game celebrations. They went from celebrations to acts/shows/whatever and they're just not doing it for me anymore. Still fun for some clearly, but :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad