Confirmed with Link: [EDM/ARI] Mitch Moroz for Henrik Samuelsson

Hugo McStiglitz

#BlameTheWater
Dec 27, 2010
is there any chance that this was done to save the 100k? I know that Arizona hurts for cash but I'd hope that little amount wasn't it. Or maybe it was a token amount to show he's doing something.

Their AHL salaries are the same, so I doubt it was a financial issue. IMO it was likely Arizona looking at their depth chart and realizing that Samuelsson was being passed by, so they traded him to give him a fresh start. It would be interesting to know if the trade was instigated by Edmonton's end or Arizona's.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
What's the harm in keeping him for much longer than that? I'd think long term with this one. A couple of years at least. Edit: it's just that it seems like this might be the kind of injury that takes that long to recover from, not just for 100% healing, but building back up to what he was.

Samuelsson seems like Ryan O'Marra trade back in the date. Once a promising player with skating issues, who got derailed by injuries. Oh well, at worst you keep him until the end of the year to see what you have with him.

McSomnii

why u no change oil
Nov 3, 2012
Little Houston, AB
Their shared Oil Kings history aside, I don't mind this trade simply because both players seem absolutely starved for a fresh start in a new organisation. Well, that and the removal of Moroz from the Oilers organization may as well be addition by subtraction :^)

Ignoring the atrocious year that both are having in terms of stats, Samuelsson has at least shown himself to be more offensively gifted in the past than Moroz. I'm hoping that he can step up and become a decent depth guy in Bakersfield for at least another year or two, before he inevitably heads on over to Europe in order to earn a better living as a hockey player. Far as I'm concerned, anything more than that is just gravy.

WayneGreatzky

Nov 26, 2014
Edmonton
Loved this dude on that 2014 Oil Kings team.

Havn't followed his career since but definately a better player than Moroz.

Welcome back to E-town Henrik :handclap:

best of luck to Moroz with the Yotes org

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Judging by what Coyotes fans are saying, Henrik is a bit more of a risk-reward guy with his recent injury struggles and poor skating, whereas Moroz is a more steady bottom 6 guy without as much potential. I prefer the Henrik type of player for my prospects, but either way, it's a pretty inconsequential trade.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Judging by what Coyotes fans are saying, Henrik is a bit more of a risk-reward guy with his recent injury struggles and poor skating, whereas Moroz is a more steady bottom 6 guy without as much potential. I prefer the Henrik type of player for my prospects, but either way, it's a pretty inconsequential trade.

Its like Reider for Kessy....

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
We traded a bust for a bust with a tad bit more potential. Can't really complain here.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
I think it's ok. I remember thinking at the time that he was a good pick for the Coyotes. He had one pretty solid AHL season. Definitely still time for him to turn into something useful.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Its like Reider for Kessy....

Rieder had a future as a 2nd/3rd line tweener Kessy didn't have a future, niether of Samuelsson or Moroz have a future so it seems like it's different to me. The Rieder for Kessy trade was a perfect microcosm of why we were so screwed up as a franchise, we were perpetually on the lookout to add more team toughness and size, but we were always picking up guys who would always amount to nothing more than 4th liners at the very most, when we needed size and toughness that could play a more prominent role in our top 9 and actually be capable of playing more than 8 minutes a game. Also the pursuit of our big tough guys was almost always horrible asset management, there was never a year where you couldn't pick up a fully developed NHL version of a Moroz, Abney, or Kessy for a 4th round pick, yet we sunk higher value assets into it.

This is two GM's chatting and being like hey are you going to offer Moroz a new contract? Hell no. How about you with Samuelsson? Ofcourse not. Want to swap prospects to see if either one has a speck of life left in them. Not sure on the point, but hey what's left to lose.

What this amounts to is us giving Samuelsson a 2 month try-out for an AHL contract for next year, cause with how his numbers are he certainly doesn't deserve to be on our 50 man-list.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I like Samuelsson being a right shot as well, we need more righties in our organization.

Good for Bako depth. Not a huge move but we're getting the better player and helping our AHL depth.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Bust --> bust with potential

Bust with potential --> solid fourth liner

Solid fourth liner --> struggling third liner

Struggling third liner --> backup goalie

I love the flea market.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Except it is nothing like that.

I mean... I see the similarities.

We traded a facepuncher looking like a bust for a player with top 6 potential looking like a bust.

Reider for Kessy was our looking like a bust potential top 6 player for their looking like a bust facepuncher.

Its a pretty lowkey move though, i think Arizona probably just did it as a favour to Henrik.

Oct 15, 2008

We traded a facepuncher looking like a bust for a player with top 6 potential looking like a bust.

Reider for Kessy was our looking like a bust potential top 6 player for their looking like a bust facepuncher.

Its a pretty lowkey move though, i think Arizona probably just did it as a favour to Henrik.

Reider apparently wasn't signing here. Add to that he is very fast.

Samuelsson is very slow to begin with and is trying to overcome a serious ankle injury.....bargain bin sale.

Moroz has been fighting injuries since his last year with the Oil Kings. Never got on track.

A roll of the dice by both teams. Maybe one or both get lucky.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
Reider apparently wasn't signing here. Add to that he is very fast.

Samuelsson is very slow to begin with and is trying to overcome a serious ankle injury.....bargain bin sale.

Moroz has been fighting injuries since his last year with the Oil Kings. Never got on track.

A roll of the dice by both teams. Maybe one or both get lucky.

There really is no risk in a trade like this. I really liked Samuelsson in his draft year. I remember a lot of oiler fans hoping he'd fall a few more spots. He's shown more than Moroz ever has ,so maybe he can get it back. Moroz is what he is. I don't think he's nhl caliber

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

At no point after the Oilers picked Rieder did he look like a bust. Exactly the opposite. His stock rose each year until he made the Coyotes.

As to this trade, I agree Arizona is probably doing Samuelsson a favour.

Both Samuelsson and Moroz have had significant injury issues. Given the way both player play this is a big issue in terms of hampering their development.

Samuelsson clearly had more natural talent and was deserving of his draft slot. Moroz was admittedly a risk at 32 but it was not a deep draft for forwards and there was strong evidence that the Leafs were going to take him at 35 so I don't think that the narrative that he would have been available later holds. The Oilers wanted to add that sort of player to their organization so they took a flyer. It didn't work out. Now they are moving on.

It's easy to say I knew he would be a bust. But any of us could make that claim in any draft of the guy picked at 32 and you would be right about 80% of the time.

Last edited:

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
At no point after the Oilers picked Rieder did he look like a bust. Exactly the opposite. His stock rose each year until he made the Coyotes.

As to this trade, I agree Arizona is probably doing Samuelsson a favour.

Both Samuelsson and Moroz have had significant injury issues. Given the way both player play this is a big issue in terms of hampering their development.

Samuelsson clearly had more natural talent and was deserving of his draft slot. Moroz was admittedly a risk at 32 but it was not a deep draft for forwards and there was strong evidence that the Leafs were going to take him at 35 so I don't think that the narrative that he would have been available later holds. The Oilers wanted to add that sort of player to their organization so they took a flyer. It didn't work out. Now they are moving on.

It's easy to say I knew he would be a bust. But any of us could make that claim in any draft of the guy picked at 32 and you would be right about 80% of the time.

I think risk is far too generous a word, it was just stupidity he never looked like he had anything remotely approaching NHL skill, Tambellini heard Toronto was going to do something stupid and he's like man we got to beat them to the punch. A common bit of narrative you would hear through out the Tambellini era he always cared more about how other teams viewed players, he didn't have his own vision, he was a career yes man & ass kisser constantly passed over for promotion in Vancouver, who didn't have the foggiest idea of how to operate a team. You'd always hear our management types talk about how much character Moroz had, they just fell in love with the person and forgot he had none of the tools or skills to make any impact.

I don't tend to be overly hard about missed picks cause I know that like you said most of them will be misses, but to me he was a blatantly wasted pick, he didn't even really belong in the AHL, he was an ECHL level player, it was upper management influence that kept him there and you could hear Stauffer on the radio *****ing about how they had to force feed him more ice-time cause he was an important part of the future. :shakehead. I think the most damning condemnation on a scouting staff is being so wrong about A. players in your own organization and B. local players who you get to view tons. I watched him in his draft year a bunch and so did many other people on this board he never should of been picked anywhere close to that high.

Past failed picks like Salmelainen, Musil, and JF Jaqcues I understand and I never was really critical about those selections cause you could atleast see that they had some avenue to the NHL or something unique that they brought. Like Salmelainen skated like the wind if he could just get his hands to catch up a little bit he could've been a dangerous player, Musil was great defensively and conducted himself like a pro even in junior if he could improve his skating he'd likely have had a good case at being an NHL defender, JF Jacques was a big man that skated real well for his size, hit incredibly hard, and looked like he might have a little bit of scoring touch. What did Moroz bring he could punch faces and was a glue guy in the room, that describes about 80% of the tough guys to ever play hockey, they are a dime a dozen and fully developed ones have always been readily available and cheap to acquire.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It's not like they really missed out on anyone.

The only guys drafted after Moroz that have done anything were complete unknowns(Gostisbehere, Parayko, Hutton) at the draft.

It was just a really bad draft.

The Musil draft is the one that really stings with Jenner, Saad, Gibson and Kucerhov taken shortly thereafter, particularly the first two who fell right into the Oilers lap. Kucherov would have been a reach at 31 so I don't blame them too much for passing on him.
The 2012 draft is a bust-a-thon so taking Moroz doesn't sting nearly as much. It was the #1 pick that hurt the most.

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011
It's funny because at the start of the season there were still people that expected Samuelsson to be on Arizona's protect list for expansion.

I like the trade because there is still a (slim) chance Henrik becomes a NHL bottom 6 guy in a couple years. Moroz has a chance at being a regular AHL 4th liner in that same time frame.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Coyote fan checking in. Wishing Hank al the best and hopefully he can get his career jump started in Edmonton. That said, he's REALLY struggled, 20th on Tucson (2-1-3) in scoring and would likely be in the ECHL if he wasn't a first round pick.

Also, at least 13 younger forwards in the organization who currently are or project ahead of him (Crouse, Dauphin, Domi, Duclair, Dvorak, Fischer, Bunting, MacInnis, Garland, Strome, Keller, Merkley, Looke). He had no future in AZ.

As for Moroz, he's big 4th line body to help Tucson in their playoff chase.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Coyote fan checking in. Wishing Hank al the best and hopefully he can get his career jump started in Edmonton. That said, he's REALLY struggled, 20th on Tucson (2-1-3) in scoring and would likely be in the ECHL if he wasn't a first round pick.

Also, at least 13 younger forwards in the organization who currently are or project ahead of him (Crouse, Dauphin, Domi, Duclair, Dvorak, Fischer, Bunting, MacInnis, Garland, Strome, Keller, Merkley, Looke). He had no future in AZ.

As for Moroz, he's big 4th line body to help Tucson in their playoff chase.

Thanks for the info.

Best of luck with Moroz, hopefully you keep your expectations measured with him. He's a big 4th line body all right, but in 3 injury-riddles years at the AHL level he's barely registered a pulse.

Hopefully both teams can resurrect these careers, and everybody wins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad