Confirmed with Link: [EDM/ARI] Mitch Moroz for Henrik Samuelsson

Namtsua

Apr 4, 2011
BC
As someone who was upset that Samuelsson got picked up at the end of the first, I'm mildly happy :laugh:

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Moroz was garbage the second he was drafted...poor guy never should've been a 2nd round pick

Samuelsson has a little more potential but has regressed the past couple seasons...dude apparently skates in quicksand (he was barely good enough in junior)
pretty nothing trade IMO...Bob Green loves his Oil Kings

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Bust for bust pretty much but at least Samuelsson has had some success in the AHL just 2 short years ago and IMO is a much more skilled player so it's a worthwhile deal for a player with at least some upside compared to a player with none. Guys like Maroon give Samuelsson some hope that he can potentially find some sort of niche in the NHL down the road.

On another note, I'd really like to see Chia focus on bringing in speed players going forward and not fixate so much on size. The Oilers struggle against fast teams, they have a need for speed on the big club and on the farm.

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
I don't think Moroz ever had the talent to even be considered a bust. Samuelsson at least has some ability even if he is a big longshot.

Brewster

Mar 20, 2012
Canada
We got the better player. Can't really speak on Samuelsson now, but in his junior days he was a dominant offensive player, which Moroz never was. If he can improve his skating he has an NHL future. It's a longshot, but Ill take it over a no-shot (with all due respect to Mitch).

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
As someone who was upset that Samuelsson got picked up at the end of the first, I'm mildly happy :laugh:

Same. Wanted the Oilers to draft him but he's pretty much busted in the pros.

Oh well he has a few months to prove himself or we cut him loose.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
What happened to this guys offensive upside? When I first heard of the trade I thought this was payback for Rieder for Kessy, but, sadly it's not. Looks like lately Samuelsson scores at the same pace as Moroz in the AHL. Ouch.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
phrasing.jpg

hopefully that was just an over exited grammar mistake there

People get sort of down on players when they perform sexual acts on cars.

Meh thought it was a little mistake. Didnt think a bunch of adults would get such a kick out of it ahaha. Left it unedited since so many people seem to find it funny.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I don't think Moroz ever had the talent to even be considered a bust. Samuelsson at least has some ability even if he is a big longshot.

When you get drafted in the high 2nd round (practically a low 1st rounder), and can't make an AHL team's 4th line as a regular, you are a bust.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Haven't followed them all that close since the memcup but Ulffs kid was three times the player Moroz was in the dub.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
When you get drafted in the high 2nd round (practically a low 1st rounder), and can't make an AHL team's 4th line as a regular, you are a bust.

I mean... just because MacT is an idiot and drafted a guy you projected to be a 6th rounder at 31 doesn't mean he was a bust.

Look at the draft day thread, he was always a stretch to be a 3rd or 4th liner.

Moroz was slow in the dub.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I mean... just because MacT is an idiot and drafted a guy you projected to be a 6th rounder at 31 doesn't mean he was a bust.

He wanted the next Lucic.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Samuelsson went 68GP 18 -22-40 56PM with an NHLE of about 18 points as a 20 year old. That's not bad - 3rd or 4th line material for sure - but not bad. The difference is that Moroz was slated to be a bust and did nothing but prove that prediction correct. Samuelsson was slated as a bottom six guy (with a small possibility of more) and before the injury actually showed signs of being able to cover the bet. Good trade and it all depends on how messed up his ankle is which is key for a guy who was not fast to begin with. But reality is - a low percentage bet (Samuelsson) is better than a zero percentage bet (Moroz). It's a "better than nothing" deal.

Still stinks that they reach on Moroz when Parayko and Severson were sitting in their backyard - but that was a very bad draft all in all.

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

It's not like they really missed out on anyone.

The only guys drafted after Moroz that have done anything were complete unknowns(Gostisbehere, Parayko, Hutton) at the draft.

It was just a really bad draft.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Same. Wanted the Oilers to draft him but he's pretty much busted in the pros.

Oh well he has a few months to prove himself or we cut him loose.

What's the harm in keeping him for much longer than that? I'd think long term with this one. A couple of years at least. Edit: it's just that it seems like this might be the kind of injury that takes that long to recover from, not just for 100% healing, but building back up to what he was.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Edmonton's motivation, sure I can understand. But what the heck is Arizona's motivation? Their wonderboy owner doesn't honestly think Moroz has any chance of being an NHL regular, does he? If he thinks Henrik's first two steps is poor, it's not like Mitch's skating is much better.

They must really think Samuelsson is a hopeless case if they signed off on a straight across deal for Mitch Moroz.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
What's the harm in keeping him for much longer than that? I'd think long term with this one. A couple of years at least. Edit: it's just that it seems like this might be the kind of injury that takes that long to recover from, not just for 100% healing, but building back up to what he was.

With my boy Broissoit getting his shot and my boy Reinhart getting hot in the minors you have to think if my boy Sammo gets aclimated he will be all business going forward.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Edmonton's motivation, sure I can understand. But what the heck is Arizona's motivation? Their wonderboy owner doesn't honestly think Moroz has any chance of being an NHL regular, does he? If he thinks Henrik's first two steps is poor, it's not like Mitch's skating is much better.

They must really think Samuelsson is a hopeless case if they signed off on a straight across deal for Mitch Moroz.

New GM, so cutting off the any driftwood from the last administration, while getting a warm body back for the minor team.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Oilers were kinda grasping at straws by drafting Moroz 32nd OA. Most likely attainable later on. But Samuelsson probably was their first choice for that pick but was snagged a few spots earlier. Moroz was probably more about the type of player they were looking for than just Moroz himself.

Both players still have a chance at a NHL career.

Wishing Moroz good luck.

And

Welcome to Henrik Samuelsson to the organization. :jump:

I am no way a expert on prospects, and just my two cents. :blah:

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
The only fan I know who is upset with this is a young friend named Moroz who was looking forward to putting his name on a jersey.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I'm just amazed that we even got anything for Moroz. He couldn't even work his way off the 4th line in the AHL.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
New GM, so cutting off the any driftwood from the last administration, while getting a warm body back for the minor team.

is there any chance that this was done to save the 100k? I know that Arizona hurts for cash but I'd hope that little amount wasn't it. Or maybe it was a token amount to show he's doing something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad