Post-Game Talk: EDM 2 - NJD 1: Enough is enough, and it is time for a change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
So you can't see the difference between say a Jost or White and our prospects?

The WJC is a perfect example of levels of talent. Play drivers vs gap fillers.

Sure, but not every prospect that plays a key role at the WJC becomes an impact NHLer, and plenty of prospects that either didn't play at the WJC at all or played a limited role do turn into impact players. WJC is a good measuring tool for the limited sample size you get, but it's still only a two week international tournament.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Sure, but not every prospect that plays a key role at the WJC becomes an impact NHLer, and plenty of prospects that either didn't play at the WJC at all or played a limited role do turn into impact players. WJC is a good measuring tool for the limited sample size you get, but it's still only a two week international tournament.

Also no account for age, which plays a big part in what roles are dished out to whom. End of the day Canada and USA only have so many spots.

They kept a spot open for Speers despite his injury. McLeod and Anderson both had good tournaments.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
So you can't see the difference between say a Jost or White and our prospects?

The WJC is a perfect example of levels of talent. Play drivers vs gap fillers.

Speers was the prime example. He was a PKer and fill in on top line for injuries or a bit of line mix ups. The announcers called him a swiss army knife and say he projects to be a Kunitz.

The Devils need this type of player so bad. I mean, yeah, they could use some top line talent too, there's no doubt, but oh god how the Devils need a player who can do this. A player who actually is what people have been deluded into thinking Henrique is.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Coaching isn't the only thing, the team just isn't good, Lovejoy and Quincey are horrible, Moore is atrocious in his own end, Merrill is a fringe NHL'er, Greene has declined and Severson is still not consistent enough.

Face facts guys, our roster is a joke

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Also no account for age, which plays a big part in what roles are dished out to whom. End of the day Canada and USA only have so many spots.

They kept a spot open for Speers despite his injury. McLeod and Anderson both had good tournaments.

Teams, especially the USA and Canada, don't necessarily bring the best 20 players at the time either. They have roles they need players to fit and need to pick a team to make that work. Plenty of decent ranked prospect who are lighting up junior get passed over because they don't have room for more one-dimensional scoring forwards.

I'm not saying we have a great prospect pool (we don't), but the WJC isn't of itself evidence of it's quality or lack of quality.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
And yes giving Wood and Zacha more time would be wonderful but a losing culture isn't a recipe for success with young kids. See: Edmonton pre-McJesus

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Teams, especially the USA and Canada, don't necessarily bring the best 20 players at the time either. They have roles they need players to fit and need to pick a team to make that work. Plenty of decent ranked prospect who are lighting up junior get passed over because they don't have room for more one-dimensional scoring forwards.

I'm not saying we have a great prospect pool (we don't), but the WJC isn't of itself evidence of it's quality or lack of quality.

We actually have a good forward group that can skate. We could use more D.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
We actually have a good forward group that can skate. We could use more D.

Well hopefully that Rykov kid develops nicely for us

Kind of ironic how bad our defensive pipeline is considering how much everyone would have rioted had we gone defense in the drafts recently.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
The Devils need this type of player so bad. I mean, yeah, they could use some top line talent too, there's no doubt, but oh god how the Devils need a player who can do this. A player who actually is what people have been deluded into thinking Henrique is.

sign me. :sarcasm:

but seriously, i get what your saying …its an instinct for some and most people are THIS or THAT when playing and dont/cant adapt

i can relate to your post as ive been that guy that played top line with best players and fit in as the complent to the other two for small amounts of time,,,, and a guy that played third line and basicly couldnt gain an ounce of offence but drew some penalties.

just an analogy that i can relate to …and i think those type of players are valuable in their own way

…..ill strap pads on too if needed. :naughty:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
And yes giving Wood and Zacha more time would be wonderful but a losing culture isn't a recipe for success with young kids. See: Edmonton pre-McJesus

Part of not having a losing culture is deciding ice time based on merit instead of the depth chart written on the line up card. I don't think anyone believes we should hand top line ice time to young players like the Oilers do, but when they are playing well and playing better than most other players on the team, they should be getting the ice time that reflects that.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
unless its offensive security can **** off. thats tame.

and to CAA security of past …**** you

…they were on the worst power trip ive seen in any arena ive been to

It is tame but the team and security have been...stringent in recent years and were removing similar type of signs in 2010.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Wholeheartedly agree. And as much as I love Miles and what he brings energy wise not many coaches if any are going to give you a ton of ice time when you're a young kid who isn't exactly well rounded in all three zones. I don't agree with that thinking but it's just the reality of it.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
That's a bit of revisionism.

A lot of those wasted picks after 2004 returned Kovalchuk.. but in the Kovalchuk deal we lost a first that turned out to be Kevin Hayes. The loss of Johnny Oduya was pretty substantial as well.

Choosing to give Kovalchuk the house over taking care of Parise in 2010 was probably the most deviating decision in our franchise history. That cost us Kevin Fiala...To ignore the circumstances of that decision is simply nonsense.

But it also cost a 3rd in 2011 and it ultimately cost us Parise.

That decision not only cost those direct things... Indirectly it force us to sign Tallinder with the loss of Oduya...And it force d us to sign Clowe and Ryder to make up for Kovalchuk walking away.

Matteau was literally chosen because we had no money and needed bodies.

When people bring up the Matteau decision as a Lou failure I chuckle. Cause it was really all the huckster gambling on a bad bet.

Clowe and Ryder were signed before Kovalchuk retired.

I hope you're not implying that Lou intentionally drafted Matteau because he wanted a guy that would immediately play in the NHL, because the draft was also before Kovalchuk walked away. And Conte went so far as to say Matteau was much higher on their board than 29 and they were surprised he was still there. They legitimately thought he was good. EVEN AFTER Kovalchuk walked away and we needed bodies he still got sent down after 15 games after Lou got the ball rolling on his ELC.

The money excuse only goes so far. Lou let Ponikarovsky go because we couldn't afford him, and then traded for him a week into the season. He made Parise a competitive offer, he wanted to go to Minnesota to play with Suter (which turned out great for us, he's rapidly declining and still has EIGHT years left on his contract).

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Parise's contract is already terrible lol, we only have to pay 250k for Kovy every year. I'd take that over Parise any day.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Just because he had less goals scored on him doesn't automatically mean Schneider played well. He played better, but his rebound control is ridiculously bad. His stick handling is also very bad. He seems to be struggling with distance shots. We are a rebuilding team. I am pretty stoked about P.A doing well. Keep lightning the lamp, and don't get hurt. I can see a similar trade package as last year with L.S. I think Bennett is doing well enough but wish he played his natural side more. That is big talking point when we play the Penguins and you watch the Roots brodcast. DSP is the Eddy Lacy of hockey. Not really thrilled about the Zacha pick when it happen and the feels are getting worse every injury/game without production. I wsh Elias would come back just to mentor him for the rest of the year. The college connections are looking great. Lappin, Wood, Santini, even Merril. Plus all our prospects in college are doing well.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Are you serious? Schneider was the only reason we got a point and didn't lose 10-1

And who else are we taking at 6 in that draft besides Zacha?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Clowe and Ryder were signed before Kovalchuk retired.

I hope you're not implying that Lou intentionally drafted Matteau because he wanted a guy that would immediately play in the NHL, because the draft was also before Kovalchuk walked away. And Conte went so far as to say Matteau was much higher on their board than 29 and they were surprised he was still there. They legitimately thought he was good. EVEN AFTER Kovalchuk walked away and we needed bodies he still got sent down after 15 games after Lou got the ball rolling on his ELC.

The money excuse only goes so far. Lou let Ponikarovsky go because we couldn't afford him, and then traded for him a week into the season. He made Parise a competitive offer, he wanted to go to Minnesota to play with Suter (which turned out great for us, he's rapidly declining and still has EIGHT years left on his contract).

I don't think Lou let Ponikarovsky go because they couldn't afford him, full stop. I think Lou gave him the old 'Hey, we gotta wait on other moves, but we want you back if those moves fall through' that he's given to players in that spot in the past and Poni said 'No' and signed with Winnipeg. As I recall, he was bascially the first guy signed in free agency that year.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Only thing I could think all night at this game was why couldn't we have tanked for mcdavid...it's not even funny how good he is. Oh yeah fire hynes

Buffalo and Arizona tanked like no other teams have tanked before and they didn't get him either. The lottery is all luck, at least under the old rules anyway, better odds now it seems.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Anybody get bingo tonight?

Get outshot by double or close to it? Check

Score games first goal and still lose? Check

Bottom 6 didn't score/AKA: Free spot? Check

Allow 40+ shots? Check

Barely hit 20 shots? Check

Can't score 2 or more goals? Check

Give up shorthanded chance or goal against? I don't even remember, maybe not?

John Moore makes a mistake? NA

Hynes refuses to pull Schneider? NA

Allow 4 goals? NO! (Thanks Cory!):handclap:

The post game quotes from Hynes that I can find are complaining about the OT call on Zajac. Because of course that call was the reason we were outshot 40+ to 20 before that call ever even happened.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
110% agree. Wood is the ONLY reason I get excited to watch a game anymore. Even Hall has been a total let down.

this is what kills me about people wanting to can hynes/hiney head/whatever stupid nickname. the guys playing the best in his system are big, fast, and somewhat skilled. the devils need more of these players, not less coaches looking for those traits. and they are in our system, just not ready yet. relaaaax

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Buffalo and Arizona tanked like no other teams have tanked before and they didn't get him either. The lottery is all luck, at least under the old rules anyway, better odds now it seems.

The Oilers may have tanked for Hall but definitely did not for McDavid. McDavid was a combination of complete incompetence and incredible luck. Luck you can't control, but incompetence at least theoretically can be reversed.

The trade has created a weird bond for many Oiler fans with the Devils. Your current circumstances right now also strike a chord with those of us that have suffered through a lot of lean years. The tough part is that to really build quickly from the draft you need luck in the right years. This draft sort of reminds me of the 2012 draft. No one seems to be really stepping forward as a real top end guy. Next year might be the one to go for. Dahlin might be a great piece to build around. As tough as it is to go through a rebuild, it is also a killer to watch a team you care about slowly disintegrate.

Greene is another guy I would seriously look at moving. He is such a gem. Most hockey fans don't know anything about him but I am sure that the NHL brass do. At 34 he is probably to old to survive a rebuild if that is the route the Devils take. If the Devils retained say 25% on his deal his value would be even greater as contenders could get into the conversation. If the Devils could turn Greene into a high end defensive prospect whose close then that really helps the rebuild.

Last edited:

NJDevils#4

Since 2002, bishes
Jul 11, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
Uh. I'd still take Parise over the garbage on this roster any day of the week. Are u guys kidding me or what? Yea, I'm real glad we have like 10 million of play money under the cap rather than a leader on O who even in decline is better than 11 of our 12 forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad