Post-Game Talk: EDM 2 - NJD 1: Enough is enough, and it is time for a change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
I don't think he is a ghost. He is a great player and I'd take him back in a heart beat (was hard to trade him), but I also don't think he is a franchise player. Less of a Crosby / Ovi / McDavid, more of a Kovalchuk. He isn't a player that will make you successful on his own.

I'd agree though when he gets frustrated that he is being shut down in a game he can start to do some ill-advised things. His toe-drag followed by Bambi impression is a familiar sight for Oilers fans.

I also think he's a real clutch player that will be released when he hits the post season. But he's had a real unlucky stretch.

I don't think Hall is the problem, you guys need some D and some depth. Would look a lot better with Greene eating some minutes and pushing some guys down.

Greene has been apart of the problem too more times than not this year.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Really hoping Julien gets canned by Boston.

If that happens, Shero better fire Hynes and bring Julien on the first plane to NJ.

I'm not saying Julien wouldn't be an upgrade but man the perspective around here is sure different than when he was the coach. Back then it wasn't enough to win, we had to be perfect. And even recently people wanted to win the 'right' way. Now more and more people don't care how the team wins.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
He goes long stretches where he's cold and when he's cold he doesn't look very good. I'm not in the "trade Henrique" camp yet. I think if we improve the talent and depth throughout the lineup he's still a good player to have around. He's just not a guy you should be relying on as a primary scorer.

The effort hasn't been there this season. Cold streaks happen, but that is no excuse to quit on plays all the time and just go through the motions with as little effort as required.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Like where is the old school mantra of "If you aren't scoring, then make sure you are playing defense"

These forwards are not playing a lick of proper D.

liquid1988

Oct 14, 2013
Exit 88 GSPW
Why do you guys dislike Henrique? Not trying to stoke the fires, just genuinely curious. I've liked him since juniors.

Everyone loved him AND Palms...until this season. They are on pace for, what, 20 goals? They are key pieces to our rebuild and they are playing like *******.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The effort hasn't been there this season. Cold streaks happen, but that is no excuse to quit on plays all the time and just go through the motions with as little effort as required.

That's a problem too, but he's hardly the only one who has been guilty of it. I just don't think it's to the point where he needs to go yet.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

There were some really bad shifts where you could catch Camm and Rico floating badly. They really didn't deserve any OT time with their play tonight.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
There were some really bad shifts where you could catch Camm and Rico floating badly. They really didn't deserve any OT time with their play tonight.

They floated in overtime. There entire shift in OT was spent puck watching as the Oilers passed it around and made them look like pylons.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba

I imagine his post game speeches, talking about all the players and knowing their dads. Rambling and rambling with the odd "whammo!" Keeps blabbing and blabbing while the players all walk out and he doesn't even realize it and keeps going.

Kind of like when Steinbrenner goes on and on while George slowly leaves his office :laugh:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He's retiring for a reason though.

Maybe.

Some team may be able to entice him into continuing.

I'm almost getting the feeling that the Blues are kind of pushing him into retirement, more than him going out on his own. I figured he was being let go this year, especially after they only brought him back for one year the season before. But they brought him back and said point blank that this is his last season and announced right then and there that Yeo would be taking over after this year.

I'm not a Hitchcock fan, but I think he can get this team playing respectable. Even playing that incredibly hard on the eyes DeBoer system would be respectable at this point. The offense stunk and it didn't lead to enough shots or scoring/scoring chances, but the team was good defensively. Now, the team is horrific defensively and they still suck just as much at offense.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Firing the coach won't fix the team. Playing Santini 25 minutes won't fix the team. Hell, even playing Beau Bennett tonight, something that absolutely should've been done, won't fix the team. This team does not have enough good players. It has almost no forwards who are good defensively besides Zajac. Only Hall and Bennett drive play to a substantial extent. People like Wood and DSP get beaten badly.

Sometimes that's going to result in getting outshot 2 to 1 when you don't have enough good players and you suffer some injuries.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
We are getting to a point where we might need to sacrifice a vet for even a bad return, just to send a message.

Yup. It's not only Henrique, he is just one of the issues, but someone needs to go to send a message to everyone else. As he'd probably fetch the best return and wasn't just signed like Palmieri was, I think he's a prime candidate for the axe.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I'm not saying Julien wouldn't be an upgrade but man the perspective around here is sure different than when he was the coach. Back then it wasn't enough to win, we had to be perfect. And even recently people wanted to win the 'right' way. Now more and more people don't care how the team wins.

I don't want them to win.

I want them to play like they actually give a ****. I want to see them make smart plays in the defensive zone and on the transition. I want to see them actually play with some structure and make good reads.

I don't see where the hell else you can get a coach that will come in and do that. While Julien teams might struggle to score, they know how to play defense. For a team playing a lot of kids important to our future (Severson, Zacha, Wood, Santini), I wouldn't think twice about bringing Julien in here if the opportunity came

He'd only be a short term stop gap in my eyes, but at least he'd (hopefully) leave the team with a foundation and defensive structure to build from.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
For those that are advocating for a Hynes change and it looks likely right now, who is the replacement?

Anyone is not an answer either.

not sure the average fan is up on the availability of qualified NHL coaches out there. coaches are fired all the time.... i would even necessarily be calling for hynes to go if the style of play was different and record was the same... to me its when you are rebuilding its almost more how you play than the result.... last year you looked at the anemic lineup and gave hynes lots of rope.... and the team had an identity... this year i don't even know what i am watching...

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Honestly forget the goals. Sometimes the puck just doesn't go in for you. Rico is not playing basic and proper defense on top of it, which makes this inexcusable.

He isn't the only one, but Rico is also supposed to be a leader on this team.

liquid1988

Oct 14, 2013
Exit 88 GSPW
I don't think he is a ghost. He is a great player and I'd take him back in a heart beat (was hard to trade him), but I also don't think he is a franchise player. Less of a Crosby / Ovi / McDavid, more of a Kovalchuk. He isn't a player that will make you successful on his own.

I'd agree though when he gets frustrated that he is being shut down in a game he can start to do some ill-advised things. His toe-drag followed by Bambi impression is a familiar sight for Oilers fans.

I also think he's a real clutch player that will be released when he hits the post season. But he's had a real unlucky stretch.

I don't think Hall is the problem, you guys need some D and some depth. Would look a lot better with Greene eating some minutes and pushing some guys down.

Well said man. We all know on this forum offense is lacking a bit but defense and special teams has been abysmal this season for us. The problem I have with our team is Shero seems to be a homer when it comes to signing used up has been PEnguins players. If I see him continue down the same path this off season I would hope people call for a change in management.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Maybe.

Some team may be able to entice him into continuing.

I'm almost getting the feeling that the Blues are kind of pushing him into retirement, more than him going out on his own. I figured he was being let go this year, especially after they only brought him back for one year the season before. But they brought him back and said point blank that this is his last season and announced right then and there that Yeo would be taking over after this year.

I'm not a Hitchcock fan, but I think he can get this team playing respectable. Even playing that incredibly hard on the eyes DeBoer system would be respectable at this point. The offense stunk and it didn't lead to enough shots or scoring/scoring chances, but the team was good defensively. Now, the team is horrific defensively and they still suck just as much at offense.

I was no fan of Hitch after seeing his work in Columbus but with how he's done in St. Louis I think he'd be great for this team right now. He's at least observant of basic strategy and adjusts and can coach based on how the game's developing. He has too quick a hook with goalies at times but with his options here I don't think that would be a problem.

I'd be in favor of him by a mile over Julien for sure.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Dave Cameron is available, former Devil, Bleed would like it.

If Hynes' structure is bad, you don't want to see Cameron's..

Would make for some fun pressers.

"Henrique was floating as much as my poop this morning" followed by a 30 second stare down with Deb which turns her into bone dust.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
We are getting to a point where we might need to sacrifice a vet for even a bad return, just to send a message.

I don't think that's a very good position to be trading from though. I'm as frustrated as anybody about Rico, but we can't trade our way out of the situation we're in. The team is still being built after years of spinning our wheels. I'd rather try to improve the team with Rico on it this summer and see what happens before trading him.

liquid1988

Oct 14, 2013
Exit 88 GSPW
Anyway, Im frustrated, pissed off and drunk. Night guys.

15873180_10154148603776301_7545836753081535510_n.jpg

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Like where is the old school mantra of "If you aren't scoring, then make sure you are playing defense"

These forwards are not playing a lick of proper D.

And that's on the coach. When the team doesn't play respectable defense, that falls on the coaching staff.

The fact that this coach thinks Kalinin is an acceptable enough shutdown guy tells me all I need to know.

I didn't actually think Hynes was a bad coach in the beginning, then he lost the room and now he doesn't know what the hell to do at all.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
not sure the average fan is up on the availability of qualified NHL coaches out there. coaches are fired all the time.... i would even necessarily be calling for hynes to go if the style of play was different and record was the same... to me its when you are rebuilding its almost more how you play than the result.... last year you looked at the anemic lineup and gave hynes lots of rope.... and the team had an identity... this year i don't even know what i am watching...

I know that, but just firing Hynes and replacing him with anybody doesn't do much.

Another name that I haven't seen on here that is a possibility might be Ralph Kreuger. He's currently working with a Premier League club (I believe Southhampton) and many in Edmonton think he got the short end of the stick during his time there. We all saw what he did with Team Europe.

I don't know if there's any reason to believe he would be leaving. But then again, I'm not sure what he'd be able to do coming here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad