Confirmed with Link: Edler was asked to Waive NTC- Edler declined

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I’m guessing the Flames offer involved Bennett or Jankowski.

#4 overall Sam Bennett (now a 25-point 3rd liner that Calgary probably doesn’t want to be stuck overpaying as an RFA) would be exactly the kind of name to blow Benning’s socks off.
This would be if more interest for sure. But we kinda need to bring in some younger D/ prospects too. Bennett has had a decent year on their 3rd line so I’d be a bit shocked if they moved him. It’s kind of like Virtanen. We have too much pride and hope to just trade him, unless it’s sometbing really good (can’t say no to).

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I can't read Edler's mind, but he could've easily asked to be traded to a contender then sign wherever he wanted on July 1st. Could've at least gotten some pieces, even if he was just a rental. So methinks he does see himself in Vancouver in the future.

Or winning isn't that important to him which wouldn't be so far fetched. Some player just don't have that drive. Bieksa said as much on trade deadline day when he was on SPNET. Some players want to win and others are happy showing up to the rink every day to get paid and don't really care if they're on a contender or not. He didn't name Edler it was a general conversation about players moving to contenders. Some players just don't care.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Not surprised about C-Bus. They were clearly "all in" and it would have been a good fit. If management had actually worked on the file during the year (outside of likely doing drive-bys of "would you waive" past Edler's stall once or twice), they could clearly have been in a position to move him. The fact they didn't even monitor the market to see what type of returns could be expected is just symptomatic of a terribly run organization at the pro level.

Then Calgary comes with a big offer on TDL and they're scrambling to call Edler at the last minute being like: "Will you waive now?? After we'd told you that you were going to be a Canuck long term. We got a really good offer we didn't expect!"

Brilliant.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Typical! At the very least get a list of a few teams that he’d considered. Be proactive telling those teams... let them contact elders agent... meanwhile discuss possible trade options in advance.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It's hard to understand how his pro scouting ability can be so much worse than his amateur scouting ability. Listening to his trade deadline presser made me feel like I was standing on a very high ledge looking down.

I've said it several time before and I think it still holds. Benning gets infatuated about one or two aspects of a player (tough or skate wells etc). That isn't a bad thing to start from when scouting kids...what aspects do they excel at compared to their peers? The young player will then round out his game on those other aspects that Benning over looks.

He applies the same thing to his pro scouting...Gudbranson is tough! Sutter can really skate! He ignores the mountain of evidence that talks about how effective a guy actually is because he just gets infatuated on those couple of things for that player. He doesn't understand that a 23/24 year old has essentially already rounded out their game to be within 90% of their peak (no matter what side of the peak they are on).

The main thing on Edler was they should not have engaged in contract discussions at all with him if they also wanted to test the market. For someone with a NMC you aren't creating the leverage you need when you do that. That doesn't mean you trade him for a poor return or that you can't also be thinking about signing him if nothing develops. But this the historical issue with Benning...he doesn't know how to create leverage. He looks for "NHLers" at the deadline and picks/youth at the draft rather than the other way around.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
You aren’t impressed by the emergence of Stecher and Hutton? Your guru JD Burke is awfully high on both players, as am I.

I also seem to recall you being very pro Quinn Hughes before the draft last year.......a guy that Benning drafted by the way.

Edler and Tanev still play for the Canucks.

What is your gripe exactly?

Tryamkin, Juolevi, and Woo aren’t guaranteed to be roster players one day, but there’s still a reasonably solid likelihood.

This doesn't respond to my post at all, and is a typical deflection away from Benning's horrible asset management.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
You aren’t impressed by the emergence of Stecher and Hutton? Your guru JD Burke is awfully high on both players, as am I.

I also seem to recall you being very pro Quinn Hughes before the draft last year.......a guy that Benning drafted by the way.

Edler and Tanev still play for the Canucks.

What is your gripe exactly?

Tryamkin, Juolevi, and Woo aren’t guaranteed to be roster players one day, but there’s still a reasonably solid likelihood.

Can you please stop whining about analytics?

Reactions: PM

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
It's his right in his contract to stay if he wanted to. Can't fault Edler at all. He left money on the table to get a NMC. No bad feelings towards him.

Now Benning on the other hand I feel could have at least approached the entire situation better. But that's another story.
Maybe he did

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
a few comments.

you can't tell a rental that accept a trade and we will re-sign you. It's called collusion. If they tried it, and were given a penalty of losing their 1st round pick, you all would be screaming.

Edler was only going to accept a trade that involved money and term, otherwise why bother.

as I have stated, think about the ED, how long you want to commit, and get a generous home town discount for a NTC and a bigger one for a NMC. This shouldn't be that tough. I like Edler, and would like him around for a while. At a reasonable contract. $4.5 x 2 years seems about right with a NMC.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Typical! At the very least get a list of a few teams that he’d considered. Be proactive telling those teams... let them contact elders agent... meanwhile discuss possible trade options in advance.
All fair points. But again, Edler wants to be in Vancouver and the Canucks want him, but contract talks have stalled. Always possible that another team tops the Canucks offer. Some think it’s likely others don’t.

I think that’s what it comes down to. How likely would Edler and the other team have agreed to a deal?

There’s been zero indication that the Canucks were low balling him, trying to use the fact he wants to remain here to land a big discount.

Personally I feel that Edler cares more about making his next contract his last and thus his next destination will be his final one thus the desire for trade or movement protection. With kids nearing school age, I can understand his desire for security.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
I'm not buying it. He has like 5 kids here, one with health concerns, and has repeatedly stated that he does not want to move his family. This is the only North American city he has ever lived in, and I get the feeling he sees himself retiring a Canuck like all his Swedish buddies. Try as some of you might, I can't see how you pin this on Benning. He tried for the last two years to get Alex to waive, and Edler hasn't budged. I'm disappointed that now that they're out of the race, Edler wouldn't waive with the intention of resigning. He helps the team, and he's back next year. Hell, even offer him an extra year of term if it means getting a 1st round pick this year for him. I really do think, however, that his camp just was not willing to waive no matter the circumstance.
:thumbu:

You know, though, that there will still be those who blame Benning for all this.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Of course it will. There's already people in this thread trying to spin some ridiculous jibber jabber to justify it.

The fact is:

1. Pittsburgh made an offer (maybe multiple);
2. The Canucks brought it to Edler;
3. Edler said: "I'll waive with an extension to go to Pittsburgh."

We don't know if the Pens were the only bidders over the past year, or if they wouldn't give Edler the contract he wanted, or what. But it sounds pretty likely Edler would have waived for a "good" team with a competitive extension. I just highly doubt management even explored the opportunity. They didn't based on Benning's quote in this thread.
Where is the actual evidence that Edler told that to Benning? One tweet that may or may not be true, is not very compelling evidence.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Lots of accusations here with zero evidence.

Your post makes it sound like your previ to every negotiation or non negotiation Benning has had with Edlers camp or other teams
You should know by now that a certain set of posters don't need actual evidence.

Didn't you know that all these posters have better management and negotiating skills than Nucks management?

Reactions: DownGoesMcDavid

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

You know, though, that there will still be those who blame Benning for all this.
Honestly, for anyone who wanted Edler traded for assets, the only legit time to do that was this past summer. With all of the tak about not wanting to waive in prior years and him wanting to be here, he’s realistically only leaving if the Canucks have decided to move on. He could have signed a new deal back in July. So, if he’s not going to be part of the team going forward then last summer is when they tell him that and let him him decide where he would like to go and they try to accommodate him.

But once the season started I don’t think he was ever going to leave. Don’t think he worries whether playoffs or no playoffs will impact his market value.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
The Canucks clearly left the formal demand to "the last minute" but it's not like Edler would be completely ignorant about the possibility of being dealt this season. He probably gave it some thought at points in the season, and his decision to not waive wasn't a snap decision or anything like that, as it's being portrayed by some.

It's quite clear why the Canucks would make the formal demand later in the season, and not at the start as some posters preposterously suggest. Edler is the leader of the d-corps, a mentor to a lot of our younger players, as well as our sole legacy player from the Sedin era. To approach him at the start of the season with a formal indication that his thoughts shouldn't be 100% focused on the team is lunacy, and has serious potential to sour the locker-room.

Edler, prior to the injury, was having a very good season without this kind of distraction being pressed forcefully on him. It was a good decision for the team and its culture.

He didn't want to waive, especially without an extension, which no team would likely give to an injured player. Get over your entitlement, and accept it.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Who cares? Put it together with Sat's reporting at 650 and the Edler story is pretty clear.

There was an avenue to move Edler. Likely for a very strong return. Management chose not to pursue it and now are forced to sign him. End of story.

Though some of us may wish it, there is absolutely no way Benning let's him walk for nothing. So sign on his terms and let's get it over with.
It's management's fault that Edler wouldn't waive without an extension? :facepalm:

Consistencee

Feb 23, 2017
Regardless of what anyone thinks, how is it not concerning to some people that Benning and Co. yet AGAIN had to have offers COME TO THEM rather than create a market for a very tradable asset? Of course Edler isn't going to waive his NMC the goddamn week before the trade deadline. These teams came TO THEM.

If he (Edler) was adequately prepared or at least consulted on it over the season, this might have been an actual opportunity. My theory is they're terrified to try to find a player to fill Edler's void and so have it both ways by saying 'they asked him' he says 'no' then they can put their hands up and say 'eh what you gonna do?'.

I don't by any means think this guarantees he WOULD but the fact this management core through actions continues to react to situations rather than show any foresight in almost all facets is alarming as hell.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Regardless of what anyone thinks, how is it not concerning to some people that Benning and Co. yet AGAIN had to have offers COME TO THEM rather than create a market for a very tradable asset? Of course Edler isn't going to waive his NMC the goddamn week before the trade deadline. These teams came TO THEM.

If he (Edler) was adequately prepared or at least consulted on it over the season, this might have been an actual opportunity. My theory is they're terrified to try to find a player to fill Edler's void and so have it both ways by saying 'they asked him' he says 'no' then they can put their hands up and say 'eh what you gonna do?'.

I don't by any means think this guarantees he WOULD but the fact this management core through actions continues to react to situations rather than show any foresight in almost all facets is alarming as hell.
How do you know they haven't spoken to Edler earlier in the season? Just because they spoke to him just before the deadline doesn't mean they haven't previously talked. Unless, of course, you work in or for Canucks' management?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad