Confirmed with Link: Edler was asked to Waive NTC- Edler declined

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
It's highly likely one of those young defensemen would have been coming back to Vancouver in the package. Perhaps along with a 1st rounder +.

My guess is probably Valimaki and a 1 for Edler. Complete speculation on my part, but based on hearing how Calgary blew the Canucks away with the offer that fits the description.

Another Benning blunder.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
My guess is probably Valimaki and a 1 for Edler. Complete speculation on my part, but based on hearing how Calgary blew the Canucks away with the offer that fits the description.

Another Benning blunder.
They should have given that package to Ottawa for Stone if they were going to part with that with what Vegas offered Ottawa. One roster player away from getting stone in that case.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Uh, for the record, the Stone trade fell apart because the Flames weren't willing to include Valimaki or Andersson. So yeah, zero chance they'd turn around and offer him for Edler.

Now, I don't buy this rumor in the slightest. It makes literally zero sense from a Calgary point of view. That being said, Canucks fans of all people should be cognizant that an offer that blows Benning and company away isn't necessarily the same thing as an offer that blows the sky high expectations of fans away.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
100% what blew the Canucks away was that the Flames offered Jankowski lmao. Weisbrod probably had to change his pants before calling Edler which delayed the whole thing past the deadline.

I'd almost bet the offer was something like Jankowski + Michael Stone, who the Flames see as a cap dump but the Canucks probably like.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
100% what blew the Canucks away was that the Flames offered Jankowski lmao. Weisbrod probably had to change his pants before calling Edler which delayed the whole thing past the deadline.

I'd almost bet the offer was something like Jankowski + Michael Stone, who the Flames see as a cap dump but the Canucks probably like.

This probably isn't too far from reality. There's zero chance in my mind that Benning would target draft picks in return so it would be age gap players.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
They should have given that package to Ottawa for Stone if they were going to part with that with what Vegas offered Ottawa. One roster player away from getting stone in that case.

Brannstrom is a better prospect than Valimaki though. Perhaps Ottawa preferred Brannstrom and that's why they went with the Vegas offer?

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017

A package including Jankowski would’ve been an incredible haul for an aging Edler. I doubt that was the offer.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
A package including Jankowski would’ve been an incredible haul for an aging Edler. I doubt that was the offer.

Benning is stupid for not taking that, but what else would've blown them away? 18 yo Sam Bennett?

Treliving isn't so stupid that he offered Valimaki for Edler, much less Valimaki and a 1st.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Benning is stupid for not taking that, but what else would've blown them away? 18 yo Sam Bennett?

Treliving isn't so stupid that he offered Valimaki for Edler, much less Valimaki and a 1st.

Benning is stupid how? It wasn’t even up to him.

“Hey Alex I was reading your contract again and you actually have a no braid clause not a no trade clause. It must’ve been a typo but it’s legally binding so go ahead and unbraid your hair and Pack your bags we’re trading you to Calgary.”

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
That avenue is also very much based on an extension. Really expect another team to outmatch a desperate Benning? Don’t know how so many can call him the worst GM yet somehow there would be another who would hand Edler a contract that the Canucks don’t wish to give him.

He has a knack of being second in the race to be the stupidiest, it has taken a lot of GMs working together to take turns. ie we came second in the Lucic trade to LA, second in the Lucic UFA race, JR lost his mind long enough to take Gudbranson.

God knows where this team would be if he succeeded more.

Reactions: generic opinion

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

Another Benning blunder.
Let's just put it out there for the rest of the board -- does anyone here believe it is reasonable to think Calgary offered this?

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Lmao Edler would not waive. Simple as that. Benning couldn’t do anything. I’d honestly let him walk at this point. Completely screwed us over.

Also, no chance in hell Calgary included Valimaki, nevermind added a first to him for Edler :laugh:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Let's just put it out there for the rest of the board -- does anyone here believe it is reasonable to think Calgary offered this?

I said that was my own speculation. But it's been reported that the Canucks were blown away with the offers they were receiving, so it's not unrealistic to speculate. But hey, let's just pretend like people on a message board are more connected than Jason Botchford, because, you know, groupthink and all that.

Lmao Edler would not waive. Simple as that. Benning couldn’t do anything. I’d honestly let him walk at this point. Completely screwed us over.

Also, no chance in hell Calgary included Valimaki, nevermind added a first to him for Edler :laugh:

It's not that simple. Edler would not waive because Benning was talking extension with him. If Benning didn't do that and instead made it clear to Edler back in September that he wasn't in the teams plans he could have worked on convincing Edler to waive his NTC. But he didn't even bother with that. Simple as that.

Reactions: PM and clunk

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I said that was my own speculation. But it's been reported that the Canucks were blown away with the offers they were receiving, so it's not unrealistic to speculate. But hey, let's just pretend like people on a message board are more connected than Jason Botchford, because, you know, groupthink and all that.

It's not that simple. Edler would not waive because Benning was talking extension with him. If Benning didn't do that and instead made it clear to Edler back in September that he wasn't in the teams plans he could have worked on convincing Edler to waive his NTC. But he didn't even bother with that. Simple as that.
You know that wasn't offered for Edler. We know you know. Go ahead and bootstrap your own outrage to new heights all you like -- don't involve us. It just looks silly.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Wow that's enraging. Could have had some great future assets if Benning was smarter with this but nope. ****ed it up again.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I said that was my own speculation. But it's been reported that the Canucks were blown away with the offers they were receiving, so it's not unrealistic to speculate.

Dude, it is unreasonable if you're suggesting a smart team tried to offer their best prospect (who has already played top-4 minutes for them in a crunch) and a 1st for a 32 year old injury prone LH defenseman.

The Canucks are stupid. Erik Gudbranson blew them away. Again, the language here makes me think it was something around Jankowski. But it also could've been f***ing Lazar and a 3rd and Benning would've been ready to drive Edler to the airport. Would solve the team captaincy issue! (Edit: ^Neal is another suggestion)

I'm much more inclined to lean towards "the Canucks were mind blown because they value horrible players way too highly" than "the Flames stupidly offered way, way too much, and the Canucks assessed that correctly and felt compelled to ask Edler to waive his NTC"

Last edited:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
You know that wasn't offered for Edler. We know you know. Go ahead and bootstrap your own outrage to new heights all you like -- don't involve us. It just looks silly.

Do you understand what “my own speculation” means?

While we’re at it.

Do you understand what “the Canucks weee blown away by the offer” means?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

The team wanted to sign him. In a dream world for fans, Edler would waive and get traded at the TDL and re-sign in July, like Tkachuk and Vermette did. But, that's not how Edler wanted to do things. Either trade him in the summer of 2018 or try to sign him. What they failed was the optics. Waiting again to the end to find out that Edler's demands were too high for their liking.

They should have made the cutoff earlier to finalize a deal. I still doubt he would agree to an extension with another club unless his stance changed after getting to speak to other GMs. Why would another team give Edler what the Canucks were refusing to give him?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Dude, it is unreasonable if you're suggesting a smart team tried to offer their best prospect (who has already played top-4 minutes for them in a crunch) and a 1st for a 32 year old injury prone LH defenseman.

The Canucks are stupid. Erik Gudbranson blew them away. Again, the language hear makes me think it was something around Jankowski. But it also could've been ****ing Lazar and a 3rd and Benning would've been ready to drive Edler to the airport. Would solve the team captaincy issue! (Edit: ^Neal is another suggestion)

I'm much more inclined to lean towards "the Canucks were mind blown because they value horrible players way too highly" than "the Flames stupidly offered way, way too much, and the Canucks assessed that correctly and felt compelled to ask Edler to waive his NTC"

Fair point. And also quite possible.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The team wanted to sign him. In a dream world for fans, Edler would waive and get traded at the TDL and re-sign in July, like Tkachuk and Vermette did. But, that's not how Edler wanted to do things. Either trade him in the summer of 2018 or try to sign him. What they failed was the optics. Waiting again to the end to find out that Edler's demands were too high for their liking.

They should have made the cutoff earlier to finalize a deal. I still doubt he would agree to an extension with another club unless his stance changed after getting to speak to other GMs. Why would another team give Edler what the Canucks were refusing to give him?

Your first sentence is the problem.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC

That’s also speculation but a very real possibility I see where you’re coming from. But if Edler wouldn’t waive no matter what, maybe not talking extension wouldn’t change anything. But yeah, Edler probably new in the back of his mind that he doesn’t need to waive cause “They’ll just resign me”

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Your first sentence is the problem.
If the goal is to return assets. yes you are correct. But, I never saw Edler as a TDL trade guy. He's an offseason move. So, they would have had to move him last summer. That wasn't going to happen.

Burrows and Bieksa signed new deals before they even played a single game with Ott and Ana after waiving. Edler is following what our other NTC guys have done. Lu, Kesler, Garrison, Hansen all had term with they left (ie. not eligible to sign an extension before playing a game).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad