Confirmed with Link: Edler Re-Signs w/ VAN [6 Years / $30M ($5M AAV) ]

Blue Suede Shoes

hound dog
May 5, 2012
Outside of Ehrhoff, Gillis has done a great job of keeping our core players here at great prices.

The thing is, ATT I'm pretty sure the main thing Ehrhoff wanted was security ie. NTC. And he got a NTC & NMC in his next contract, with Buffalo.

So if that is what he wanted, could we have Hamhuis Bieksa Edler Garrison Ehrhoff all locked up for ~5 million - all with NTCs? That's too many NTCs imo. It constrains our roster.

Giving Ehrhoff a NTC probably meant we couldn't add Garrison, because Garrison would definitely want a NTC as well. And Garrison is the better dman for our team.

The other issue is that Ehrhoff is reported to have wanted 5.5 million per.

Now this is just a rumour, but if true, that would mean Garrison probably wouldn't sign for less than 5.5. Which would be another reason we couldn't add Garrison to our roster. And once again, Garrison seems like the much better choice for our team.

And then, if Ehrhoff gets 5.5, Edler is going to want more than him for sure. So maybe we're looking at 6+ million, and our cap structure start to fall apart.

So what's better: Garrison at 4.6 and Edler at 5.0? Or Ehrhoff at 5.5, Edler at 6.0, no Garrison, and subsequent contracts costing more?

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
^

True but an Ehrhoff likely would've meant a more stable Edler this past season. Perhaps enough to make the difference to beat the Kings (as not only would the 2nd pairing be better but the 1st pairing as well as this one-two combo takes some of the pressure off of them).

But that bridge has long crossed....Garrison right now is the better fit for this team.

Respect Your Edler

Thank You 52
Sep 27, 2006
China
Yeah, I agree that letting him go made more sense than keeping him for what he wanted. I felt I needed to include him in that sentence because he was a core player at the time. Still, it would've been great if we could have kept him and moved Ballard instead. Oh well.

King of Anarchy

Sep 30, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Seriously?! Holy crap. I just lost my damn marbles when I saw this on Twitter.

This is massive. I was 99% sure Edler was going to test free agency in the summer. Thankfully we won't have to worry about that now. :yo:

CanadianPirate

Apr 17, 2007
Wow that is an incredible contract. I was thinking he would end up with 5.5-6 million and that would still have been a small home town discount.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
Good deal for the 'Nucks. Edler could've got more if he waited but a nice snag overall for the Canucks.

Now curious to see what the Habs will get Subban for.

Cheers!

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Top 4 core locked up for the next 5 years, Schnieder, Burrows/Kes here for next 3 seasons, it's a solild core, and if the Sedins come back for another 2-3 after next season at a lower rate we're going to have a HUGE chance to bring in 1-2 impact forwards at a slight premium to really go for this.

It is a great day to be a Canuck fan, I've loved watching Edler progress.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
At any rate, we won't be regressing with a d-core of Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler and Garrison any time soon. That's as solid a top-4 as any in the league.

With some firepower up front, we should be able to contend for a while yet.

HighAndTight

Ready To Be Hurt Again
Jan 12, 2008
Victoria, BC
Ken Holland this morning:

doc4e121facd443b278394151.jpg

Ken Holland this evening:

holland_ken_640_640.jpg

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Given our teams internal cap on defenseman this is probably a good signing. He's our highest paid defenseman but not by much, and still probably has room to improve and grow going forward. He won't ever be a Norris winner, but he's a solid top pairing defenseman who fits in with the rest of the guys we have. Now our top 4 is locked up long-term we don't really have to worry about defense much anymore.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Given our teams internal cap on defenseman this is probably a good signing. He's our highest paid defenseman but not by much, and still probably has room to improve and grow going forward. He won't ever be a Norris winner, but he's a solid top pairing defenseman who fits in with the rest of the guys we have. Now our top 4 is locked up long-term we don't really have to worry about defense much anymore.

Yep.

Time to focus solely on bringing in an impact forward or two. Worry about grabbing a third pairing Ballard replacement this summer.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Yep.

Time to focus solely on bringing in an impact forward or two. Worry about grabbing a third pairing Ballard replacement this summer.

I think we can fill that within. Perhaps someone like Connauton will be ready and can play with Tanev on the bottom pairing. No need to go expensive now, which should free up some cap space. We badly need another top 6 forward.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
I think we can fill that within. Perhaps someone like Connauton will be ready and can play with Tanev on the bottom pairing. No need to go expensive now, which should free up some cap space. We badly need another top 6 forward.

We don't have anyone in the system who can be a good bottom-pairing D-man other than Ballard and Tanev themselves. K-Conn is still a long shot from the NHL and so are all of our other prospects.

Scottrockztheworld*

We may be able to fill that top 6 forward spot within with Jensen.

Its interesting he gets this done right before the season. Edler isn't the kind of guy that likes a lot of attention & apparently he likes Vancouver enough so why hold out? Love seeing homegrown talent staying here.

Crows*

We may be able to fill that top 6 forward spot within with Jensen.

Its interesting he gets this done right before the season. Edler isn't the kind of guy that likes a lot of attention & apparently he likes Vancouver enough so why hold out? Love seeing homegrown talent staying here.

And there's a good chance Jensen will be on the team come march. Free player . When healthy this lineup is very nice.

Sedin sedin burrows
Booth kesler Raymond
Higgins Lapiere Hansen
Weise malholtra Kassian

Bieksa hamhuis
Edler garrison
Tanev Ballard

Adding Jensen in there could be very interesting.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
We don't have anyone in the system who can be a good bottom-pairing D-man other than Ballard and Tanev themselves. K-Conn is still a long shot from the NHL and so are all of our other prospects.

I think Peter Andersson is going to come quietly from nowhere and becoming a really good defenseman for this team.

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
If Andersson, Connauton, Tanev and Corrado can anchor those 5/6/7/8 spots in a couple years i'll be happy.

Not to mention the completely awesome new trend of UFA BC born defencemen coming home on sweetheart contracts.

Willie Mitchell
Dan Hamhuis
Jason Garrison

Ugh... Shea Weber. We were so close.

But yeah, if KCon, Tanev, and Andersson all make the Canucks down the line, we are a lethal team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad