Confirmed with Link: Edler Re-Signs w/ VAN [6 Years / $30M ($5M AAV) ]

Al Swearengen

Smug Nation National
Mar 29, 2010
Really solid deal. I can't wait for the trade proposals now that the cost certainty is locked down.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
What a great way to kick off the season. Fantastic signing, and I am so stoked to see Edler take those final steps in his development. You know its a home run signing when fans from other teams are praising and/or lamenting it!

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Agreed, it's beyond me how people rag on Gillis round here, when you compare his contracts to some that have gone down the last few years, it's like dodging a bullet every time someone comes up for free agency.

here's the biggest difference. in the old days, nonis can't get jovo to take a hometown discount, chases the UFA money in phoenix.

under gillis, ehrhoff begs to stay but there isn't room for him. could say the same about ohlund and salo. those guys all reluctantly took their big UFA paydays, hoping the canucks would match up to 75% of what the market was offering.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
here's the biggest difference. in the old days, nonis can't get jovo to take a hometown discount, chases the UFA money in phoenix.

That's not what happened. Nonis told Jovo they were going to offer him a contract but then traded for Lu and Nonis never bothered calling him. Nonis is a bozo.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
That's not what happened. Nonis told Jovo they were going to offer him a contract but then traded for Lu and Nonis never bothered calling him. Nonis is a bozo.

didn't nonis spend that entire season leading up to jovo's UFA status trying to sign him to a hometown discount? that's my memory of that awful season.

AmazingNuck

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver

under gillis, ehrhoff begs to stay but there isn't room for him. could say the same about ohlund and salo. those guys all reluctantly took their big UFA paydays, hoping the canucks would match up to 75% of what the market was offering.

:cry: SHOULDA DEALT BALLARD... :(

Gillis' biggest mistake was letting Ehrhoff walk. He was the only speed we had out of our back-end. Hopefully Garrison proves to be a good replacement, as he is more physical and better defensively.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver

Gillis' biggest mistake was letting Ehrhoff walk. He was the only speed we had out of our back-end. Hopefully Garrison proves to be a good replacement, as he is more physical and better defensively.

Garrison looked very fast and mobile in the scrimmages. If he can develop some chemistry with Edler I could see this being one of the premier pairings in the league.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON

Begs to stay? Ehrhoff went elsewhere seeking a big pay day. By my calculations, Edler left more on the table than Ehrhoff would've, had he signed Gillis' deal. He was clearly not interested in competing for the Cup. Given how soft he was each year in the playoffs, I completely see Gillis' reluctance to pay him $10m per year.

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
Begs to stay? Ehrhoff went elsewhere seeking a big pay day. By my calculations, Edler left more on the table than Ehrhoff would've, had he signed Gillis' deal. He was clearly not interested in competing for the Cup. Given how soft he was each year in the playoffs, I completely see Gillis' reluctance to pay him $10m per year.

I wasn't bothered by Ehrhoff's defensive deficiencies. Why can't we see and accept him for what he was... An elite defensive PP QB. We didn't need him to play in all situations. The day we let Ehrhoff walk, I immediately questioned the decision. I guess Gillis really believes in our internal defenesemen cap. Ehrhoff got fair market value in Buffalo, and I would've been fine if we offered him that contract, even if it runs scary long.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Buffalo is getting ****ed hard with the "Luongo rule" for Ehrhoff. Going to be pretty funny.

Had we kept Ehrhoff and re-signed him at $5.5M or more, Edler likely doesn't re-sign for $5M, and we also likely don't get Garrison for $4.6M either.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I wasn't bothered by Ehrhoff's defensive deficiencies. Why can't we see and accept him for what he was... An elite defensive PP QB. We didn't need him to play in all situations. The day we let Ehrhoff walk, I immediately questioned the decision. I guess Gillis really believes in our internal defenesemen cap. Ehrhoff got fair market value in Buffalo, and I would've been fine if we offered him that contract, even if it runs scary long.

Because that isn't what he is. He's a good offensive player with defensive limitations that wanted to be paid like an elite player.

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
Because that isn't what he is. He's a good offensive player with defensive limitations that wanted to be paid like an elite player.

Agree to disagree. Ehrhoff was the perfect fit with the Sedins on the PP. His cap hit is 4Mill per year. I think he earned fair market value for what he provides.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Ehrhoff got fair market value in Buffalo, and I would've been fine if we offered him that contract, even if it runs scary long.

Losing Ehrhoff was a huge hit to the team but if he had his heart set on a contract like the one he got, Gillis was right to let him walk. Good cap hit but terrible structure.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

first i'll say i completely agree that it was a smart decision to let ehrhoff go. short term, it's a loss, but longterm i think we'll be better off.

but wasn't there a report that what ehrhoff's agent asked from the canucks (which gillis wouldn't give and instead flipped his rights) was less years and less money overall than he got from buffalo? i don't have a link, but i remember a lot of discussion about this last summer.

yoss

May 25, 2011
Love it. Our defense is looking good. Well done MG and thank you Edler I love you. Looking forward to his wrecking ball hits against Chicago (and other teams) this year.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Edler is such a humble and soft spoken guy, and I never doubted for a second that he wouldn't stay.

Go see how crestfallen other teams fans are who were penciling in Edler (DET and BUF), that's why don't bank on being able to sign UFA's.

We got an absolute steal here, this is one of the best values for a player of his abilities and production.

And this solidifies our D and Goaltending for the next 4 seasons. Exciting times.

FiveAndGame

Apr 29, 2009
Edler is such a humble and soft spoken guy, and I never doubted for a second that he wouldn't stay.

Go see how crestfallen other teams fans are who were penciling in Edler (DET and BUF), that's why don't bank on being able to sign UFA's.

We got an absolute steal here, this is one of the best values for a player of his abilities and production.

And this solidifies our D and Goaltending for the next 4 seasons. Exciting times.

+1 Our D and Goaltending (which are both elite quality) are locked up for many years.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011

Ehrhoff comes across as humble and softspoken too. Actions speak louder than words.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

Well tim, if those fans had assessed Edler and our situation better they would have realized what would happen. Never had any doubt Edler would not sign here long-term.

Makes our media guys like Botchford et al look stupid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad