Confirmed with Link: Edler Re-Signs w/ VAN [6 Years / $30M ($5M AAV) ]

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Well tim, if those fans had assessed Edler and our situation better they would have realized what would happen. Never had any doubt Edler would not sign here long-term.

Makes our media guys like Botchford et al look stupid.

They just like to stir crap up. And they know absolutely nothing about Edler's character, whereas we know exactly the kind of guy he is.

Outside99*

HNIC Hot Stove were discussing PK Subban's contract, what he's been offered, and a bunch of comparables. Edler's contract is unreal favourable for the team.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Probably been mentioned already but Im too lazy to go back pages but Edlers a quiet guy who likes to keep out of the spotlight etc. Seems like he likes his stability and he likes it in Vancouver. I can see him heading back to sweden after hes done with hockey over here.

Good deal for him and the nucks.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Begs to stay? Ehrhoff went elsewhere seeking a big pay day. By my calculations, Edler left more on the table than Ehrhoff would've, had he signed Gillis' deal. He was clearly not interested in competing for the Cup. Given how soft he was each year in the playoffs, I completely see Gillis' reluctance to pay him $10m per year.

Hmm 10 million a year i thought it was 40m over ten years cannot remember. Was amistake keeping Ballard letting Ehrhoff go period.
Edler signing great.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Erhoff salary cap is 4m right? So i do not care if he gets 10m in year one. Erhoff was not perfect however no one can doubt he improved the team. Can the same be said for Ballard. If we are getting rid of all our flawed players we would have no one left. It all worked out as we got Garrison and resigned Edler. However Erhoff with flaws and all is an above average d man who got a contract that was not ridiculous.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
He is now 30m over 9 years seems like a great deal now. I think in the end i like him as a player and you do not. It is not about the money. Gillis and AV agreed with you. I think it hurt the pp and the Sedins a lot last year. Garrison hopefully fills that void. Back on point Edler signing is great if we keep on signing core players below market value develop a couple younger players we can stop trading for second tier players like Booth and Ballard and get one more top line scorer that we need IMO to win it all.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
He is now 30m over 9 years seems like a great deal now. I think in the end i like him as a player and you do not. It is not about the money. Gillis and AV agreed with you. I think it hurt the pp and the Sedins a lot last year. Garrison hopefully fills that void. Back on point Edler signing is great if we keep on signing core players below market value develop a couple younger players we can stop trading for second tier players like Booth and Ballard and get one more top line scorer that we need IMO to win it all.
He was disappointing in the playoffs. No business asking for that type of money.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Erhoff salary cap is 4m right? So i do not care if he gets 10m in year one. Erhoff was not perfect however no one can doubt he improved the team. Can the same be said for Ballard. If we are getting rid of all our flawed players we would have no one left. It all worked out as we got Garrison and resigned Edler. However Erhoff with flaws and all is an above average d man who got a contract that was not ridiculous.

Yeah, that'd be awesome to have another contract where the Canucks could potentially have their cap space eaten up by a retired player.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Love the discount Edler took! But at the same time, I get it. The dude just banked 30 million dollars. Leaving a few mill on the table as a 'thanks' to the Canucks is the mutually beneficial thing to do. The Canucks provide a quality of life that few other teams can boast. Being a Canuck is more a lifestyle than it is a job. Full credit goes to Gillis for creating this little ecosystem.

This. But watch the MG haters say we got Edler at 5 per only because he wanted to stay here and nothing else. The quality of life and the benefits provided to the players here are so understated and often overlooked at times when considering signings.
Not only that, but Tanev gives the team excellent security when injury strikes the top 4...

Hamhuis injured-

Garrison Bieksa
Edler tanev
Ballard

Bieksa injured-

Hamhuis Tanev
Garrison Edler
Ballard

Edler injured-

Hamhuis Bieksa
Garrison Tanev
Ballard

Garrison injured-

Hamhuis Bieksa
Edler Tanev
Ballard

IMO the top 4 looks good, regardless of who is injured. Garrison should be able to pair up well with Bieksa and Tanev seems like he could play with anyone. Love the mix in the top 5 - still see Ballard as the #6, though maybe he turns things around.

Exactly. Now we just have to avoid multiple injuries to the D and we (hopefully) should be ok. Love the depth on defence.

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
:cry: SHOULDA DEALT BALLARD... :(

Gillis' biggest mistake was letting Ehrhoff walk. He was the only speed we had out of our back-end. Hopefully Garrison proves to be a good replacement, as he is more physical and better defensively.

I keep seeing people saying that Garrison is going to fill the void that was left by Ehrhoff leaving but, I honestly don't see it. Our defense is pretty much the same as last year except Garrison is in and Salo is out. And tbh Garrison and Salo are a lot more similar than Garrison and Ehrhoff. The only difference being that Garrison will probably *knock on wood* play more games but Salo is more proven.

GingersRULE

Jun 11, 2011
I dont post much in these forums but I do read through them..I gotta admit I was for trading Edler but at you can not sign a defenseman of Edlers caliber for that money..By far one of Gillis's best signings since he's been GM..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad