ECSF | Ottawa Senators defeat the New York Rangers 4 games to 2

lawrence

May 19, 2012
was rick nash playing in this series or were rangers fans too busy blaming lundqvist to see that he had 2 points in the series and 5 points overall?

Rick Nash has been a bust for a while actually so its the norm for Nash to suck.

Congrats senators. best fanbase ever.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Zibby battled pretty well.

I was impressed since he had a tendency to coast at times but he was dialed in for large parts of this series.

If Zibby was what NYR projected, they would have won this series. But he showed up occasionally, Brassard showed up for a spot goal. My orignal conclusion was wrong, Sens won despite of Brassard in this series.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
was rick nash playing in this series or were rangers fans too busy blaming lundqvist to see that he had 2 points in the series and 5 points overall?
Stepan, Miller, Kreider, and Hayes was a way bigger issue. Zibanejad and Fast had to carry everything. I wonder if we have enough money to puts Jesper Fast's brain into Chris Kreider's body...

Your avatar is awesome I wish that was the official logo.
Yeah and now I find out there's apparently some sort of Preds/Sens alliance.

If Zibby was what NYR projected, they would have won this series. But he showed up occasionally, Brassard showed up for a spot goal. My orignal conclusion was wrong, Sens won despite of Brassard in this series.
Hm, I thought he was great in both series. His pass that Kreider fanned on right after Kreider had just scored, I lost count of how many times that exact play happened. Mika, Fast, Smith, Skjei, Lindberg, and Glass (can't believe I just typed that...), exceeded all expectations, most others were between status quo and lurid.

Kreider + Hayes + Miller = 10 pts
Zibanejad = 9 pts

Last edited:

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I was rooting hard for the Sens to avoid the Rangers. Now, if the Caps can just get past the Pens our ticket to the SCF is all but assured.

Hahaha, so it begins... You sound like Bruins fans and Rangers fans.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Rangers fans should be rooting for a rebuild. They've stitched together a contender for so many years by spending to the cap, and being a destination city, and maybe some Sather acumen... but it hasn't been enough. I'm conflicted about wanting the Sens to rebuild because how would they hang onto Karlsson. This year also makes me wonder if a couple pieces might make the difference. If I were a Rangers fan I'd be 100% rebuild. It's time. A cup winning Rangers team would be very good for the NHL.

Why would two teams who reached the 2nd and 3rd rounds want to deliberately become worse? Rebuilding is the dumbest concept ever.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Mika > Brassard in this series. If half our forwards played like Mika did, could have been a different outcome. I mean 5 points in 6 games is Pretty damn good.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Better luck next year

But not if it's against the Senators :devdance:

Let's be honest with ourselves for just a second about this bolded chunk.

The Rangers were the better team for most of this series. They were at their worst when it mattered most and put on a Washington Capitals level masterclass at blowing a series. Blowing game 2 is inexcusable. Blowing game 5 with exactly the same mistakes is doubly inexcusable. The Rangers handed the Senators this series on a gleaming silver platter, and the Sens gleefully took it.

I have a bone to pick with this. It's like when peopel say, "if the habs didn't have the best goalie in the world, they'd be garbage." Well, yeah he's on their roster and team and part of why they're a good team...

In the same way, if the Sens win by outplaying the opponent in the last 5 minutes by a margin larger than what they were outplayed the other 55 minutes, then yes, they deserve the win and you could argue better team. My analogy would be, if you took a week to write a term paper, and got a B+ and I took the last day ebfore it was due and got an A- then, it doesn't matter that you worked harder over more time. I put in that last ditch effort to make sure I got what I needed.

amethyst

#10 Forever
Mar 15, 2013
Eating crow right now since the Sens proved me wrong. I'm a bit disappointed the Rangers got eliminated as I do like Hank, McD and Zbad and their fans here are pretty funny. :naughty: Happy for EK and Anderson though.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Mika > Brassard in this series. If half our forwards played like Mika did, could have been a different outcome. I mean 5 points (2 G, 3 A)in 6 games is Pretty damn good.

Yeah I thought he played great. Brassard was insane for us the first series but didn't think he was as good in the second (still perfectly good so no complaints).

But tonight Zibby scared me when he was on. Thought he was going to score nearly all the time he was on

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Mika > Brassard in this series. If half our forwards played like Mika did, could have been a different outcome. I mean 5 points in 6 games is Pretty damn good.

Zbad was typical Mika in this series. Great for one game, disappeared for the others. Get used to it.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Will always like Mika and wish him well with the Rangers except against Ottawa of course.
He's still pretty young and is just starting to come in to his own.

RuthlessLieutenant

Sep 4, 2009
Kingston
Stepan, Miller, Kreider, and Hayes was a way bigger issue. Zibanejad and Fast had to carry everything. I wonder if we have enough money to puts Jesper Fast's brain into Chris Kreider's body...

Yeah and now I find out there's apparently some sort of Preds/Sens alliance.

SenaPreds! Would love to see Mike Fisher lift that cup, if Ottawa isn't going to.:yo:

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
What is wrong with my opinion of the Rangers being better in Games 1/2/5 and absolutely dominating 3/4? You don't have to be the better team to win the series, as proven by this one. Good luck to Ottawa. The Rangers have won many series in the past while being the worse team. In this series they were the better team but lost. It goes both ways. It happens.

How can you possibly defend the Rangers being better in game 1?

I can entertain a debate for game 5, though that's 50-50 imo.

The Rangers were clearly better for games 3 and 4, the rest of the time they were slightly edged by the Sens and were much less opportunistic than the Sens. The better team won.

GO SENS GO!!! ECF baby.

KingBilly

Oct 18, 2008
Why would two teams who reached the 2nd and 3rd rounds want to deliberately become worse? Rebuilding is the dumbest concept ever.

Because the Rangers are clearly on the down slope, as represented by their loss here in the ECSF. It's about not prolonging the inevitable. It doesn't need to be a full rebuild, everyone's gone. You keep your young players on the best contracts but aim to lose the next year or two to draft high.

I wouldn't want to be a Rags fan prolonging the inevitable. What wizardry could you possibly hope to get them over the hump and win the cup in the next couple years? The Leafs had to painfully learn this same lesson for 15 years before they finally bottomed out. And now they will be a cup contender in a couple years. You can't just retool. Not if winning the cup is your goal and this core won't get you there.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Zbad was typical Mika in this series. Great for one game, disappeared for the others. Get used to it.
He was our best forward through both series.

Because the Rangers are clearly on the down slope, as represented by their loss here in the ECSF. It's about not prolonging the inevitable. It doesn't need to be a full rebuild, everyone's gone. You keep your young players on the best contracts but aim to lose the next year or two to draft high.

I wouldn't want to be a Rags fan prolonging the inevitable. What wizardry could you possibly hope to get them over the hump and win the cup in the next couple years? The Leafs had to painfully learn this same lesson for 15 years before they finally bottomed out. And now they will be a cup contender in a couple years. You can't just retool. Not if winning the cup is your goal and this core won't get you there.
We lost in the first round last year so technically we're trending up. :laugh:

This year was a success in my book. Gorton made some amazing moves, picked up a lot of young players, and we actually can look forward to the draft (*double-checks to make sure we do actually have a 1st*). They're way closer to being a contender than needing a rebuild.

Last edited:

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
The first time I've ever seen him be dynamic for more than a single shift at a time.

Honestly he looked far more dangerous this game than even the natural hatty game he had last season with the Sens. Not the biggest Zibanejad fan but I'll give him that credit.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Rangers played extremely well for large chunks of this series, but didn't capitalize.

When Ottawa played well, they closed games.

They earned it.

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
Not many people had Ottawa go this far before the playoffs started. That's why the games are played. Congrats Ottawa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad