Post-Game Talk: ECSF Gm 7 | FLYERS (H) vs. Islanders (A) | Sat., Sep. 5, 2020

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Loving the sample sizes here — WJC and 5 AHL Games.

I keep hearing how smart Farabee is as he’s blasted with one massive hit after another he either doesn’t see coming or thinks is worth taking. You would tear Frost to shreds over that. Correctly so, I might add.

The primary reason Farabee takes big hits is the kid is fearless and consistently goes to the dirty areas.
In that aspect, he's similar to TK, both want to play like they're 200 lbs.
But both are subject to the laws of Physics.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I thought getting slammed around was a sign of not being ready? Now it's actually a good thing?

Avoiding contact (Sanheim) is a bad thing, getting slammed around going to dirty areas to make plays is a good thing (Profiles in Courage shit), but sometimes too good (Stayin' Alive).

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
The primary reason Farabee takes big hits is the kid is fearless and consistently goes to the dirty areas.
In that aspect, he's similar to TK, both want to play like they're 200 lbs.
But both are subject to the laws of Physics.
Dirty area... you mean like the multiple open ice hits he received?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Dirty area... you mean like the multiple open ice hits he received?

Most of his hits were along the boards or around the net, same with TK, Farabee was a Timex watch out there, took a lickin' and kept on tickin'. His problem is when you're 180 lbs or so soaking wet, when you go into those areas and get hit, only one player is going to be moved, and it ain't the bigger guy in most cases.

Open ice hits are more obvious and more twitter worthy, but they're actually rare, where most players get hit is in the dirty areas, which of course WHY they're considered dirty areas. When a player doesn't get hit very often, it's usually a sign of someone playing on the perimeter and avoiding contact.

Of course, Farabee suffered from rookie tunnel vision, because he was so eager to make plays he was a bit oblivious to opposing players wanting to make him their Pinata.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Avoiding contact (Sanheim) is a bad thing, getting slammed around going to dirty areas to make plays is a good thing (Profiles in Courage shit), but sometimes too good (Stayin' Alive).

Um, you explicitly stated numerous times that young guys getting slammed around while making plays is a major reason Frost couldn't play.

So how is this good now? Especially since Frost is bigger than Farabee.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Um, you explicitly stated numerous times that young guys getting slammed around while making plays is a major reason Frost couldn't play.

So how is this good now? Especially since Frost is bigger than Farabee.

Frost isn't as strong as Farabee, and that gap will only grow as Farabee fills out his bigger frame.

Frost's problem is he avoids contact. Which is understandable to some extent, but it's hard to play hockey on the perimeter, especially playoff hockey. He needs to get stronger and get more involved in the action - not like Raffl, for example, but more than he does, like Giroux.

Hits taken per 60:
Frost 1.12
Giroux 1.70
Laughton 3.23
Hayes 3.33
Voracek 3.87
Couts 5.41
TK 5.99
Bunnaman 6.31
Raffl 7.05
NAK 7.10
Farabee 7.41
Pitlick 9.49

Ghost 2.82
Sanheim 4.75
Niskanen 4.77
Provorov 5.28

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
I know the Flyers are stuck with some huge contracts and probably will not be entering the FA sweepstakes, nor will they be in the trade winds.....but I sure wish they could get a sniper.
The horrible series against the Islanders exposed the Flyers weaknesses, and Trotz took advantage of those weaknesses (mainly in puck handling, as well as being outskated tremendously). I know everyone loves the Captain, I do not. I watched him play during that second round series and he looked like he was playing as though it was a series of alumni games. Too bloody slow Claude. The other thing that really pissed me off was the fact that A.V. made the statement "It's time to wear your big boy pants".........to the core group who are seasoned veterans.
Thank goodness the Flyers finally have a true starting goalie to build from, but players like Giroux-JVR-and Voracek should no longer be the core players of this team.
Coots should take over as Captain.
If they could get a player like Gaudreau, I think Fletcher should look into that opportunity in an instant.
Okay, now all of the G & Jake fans can start insulting me like usual, but they let the team down.....again.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I know the Flyers are stuck with some huge contracts and probably will not be entering the FA sweepstakes, nor will they be in the trade winds.....but I sure wish they could get a sniper.
The horrible series against the Islanders exposed the Flyers weaknesses, and Trotz took advantage of those weaknesses (mainly in puck handling, as well as being outskated tremendously). I know everyone loves the Captain, I do not. I watched him play during that second round series and he looked like he was playing as though it was a series of alumni games. Too bloody slow Claude. The other thing that really pissed me off was the fact that A.V. made the statement "It's time to wear your big boy pants".........to the core group who are seasoned veterans.
Thank goodness the Flyers finally have a true starting goalie to build from, but players like Giroux-JVR-and Voracek should no longer be the core players of this team.
If they could get a player like Gaudreau, I think Fletcher should look into that opportunity in an instant.
Okay, now all of the G & Jake fans can start insulting me like usual, but they let the team down.....again.

The C doesn't matter.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Clearly you didn't even watch the playoffs. Or this season in general.

Better luck next year.

FanForLife

Oct 27, 2018
Winnipeg
Like most everyone else here, dis appointed in the coaching...heard a lot of talk how AV "adapts" in games, and I assume, by extension, in series to make the right moves in terms of personnel and strategy for what situation calls for. There was zero evidence of that actually happening.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It depends. If you avoid contact and you lose the puck, it's definitely a bad thing.

Or if you avoid contact by remaining on the perimeter and just skating around without generating high danger scoring chances.
Or if you avoid contact by shying away from contesting for pucks on the forecheck and not challenging players at your own blue line.

4th line guys will hit and be hit more, that's the nature of an energy line, one reason Vorobyev failed was he was contact adverse, and big guys with average speed who don't like contact don't have much of a future in the NHL unless they're highly skilled.

Finesse offensive players aren't going to hit and be hit at the same rate as energy guys, but with Frost, it's so ridiculously skewed that it's a lot more than "find open areas on the ice to create scoring chances?" I think he was spoiled in the CHL where he was faster than practically anyone else and could just skate to open areas - that don't work in the NHL.

It's why I suspect Brink will transition faster after two years of college (if there's college hockey this year) b/c he's used to bigger guys trying to take his head off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad