Pre-Game Talk: ECSF GAME 5 - BELIEVE!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

tenor.gif

d539571aa3a997f5d934cfb2f2c4f08bd095114a.gifv

upload_2020-8-30_20-55-30.png

upload_2020-8-30_20-55-53.png

The Boston Bruins have their backs against the wall as they take on the Tampa Bay Lightning in Game 5 of their Stanley Cup Playoff second-round series Monday night at Toronto.

Since taking the first contest of the best-of-seven series, the Bruins have dropped three straight, getting outscored 10-2 between Games 3 and 4. A promising season for Boston, after coming one game short of a Stanley Cup title last year, would come to an end with one more loss.

"Can give you a bunch of cliches, but it truly is one game at a time here," said Bruins defenseman Torey Krug. "We're just focusing on (Game 5), and trying not to let things spiral out of control within a hockey game is a big part of it. We've just got to bring it next game."

For the Lightning, a win Monday would mean advancing to the Eastern Conference Finals for the fourth time in the last six seasons. After last year's disastrous playoff showing -- when the team was swept in the first round -- such a return would represent a level of redemption.

"Right now the guys are feeling it," said Lightning coach Jon Cooper after the team's latest win. "Let's hope it continues."

The Lightning have never lost a playoff series when up 3-1 (7-0).
The Bruins have never won a playoff series when down 1-3 (0-23)

In Game 4 on Saturday afternoon, Tampa Bay jumped out to a 3-0 lead through the first two periods on the strength of two goals from Ondrej Palat. Andrei Vasilevskiy held firm in net the rest of the way in an eventual 3-1 victory.

Palat now has four goals in the team's last three games and six points total in the series. He's stepping up with captain Steven Stamkos still sidelined by injury and serving as a complement to the potent production of Brayden Point and Nikita Kucherov (16 playoff points apiece).

"He's always the guy that's talked about the least," Cooper said of Palat. "It's probably unfair to him, but it's probably just the way he likes it."

Though the Bruins' showing Saturday was not as disastrous as their 7-1 setback in Game 3, the goaltending remains an area in need of improvement. Jaroslav Halak, thrust into the starting role when Tuukka Rask opted out two games into the first round, allowed a bad second goal in Saturday's loss and is struggling to keep up with Tampa Bay's high-powered offense.

"This is a good hockey club, we're not scoring a lot right now. Part of that is our own issue about hitting the net," said Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy. "But they've got a very good goaltender and a good defense, so every goal matters."

Boston will be without forward Chris Wagner for Game 5 after he exited Saturday's loss early. Sean Kuraly, who has missed the last two games in the series, skated Sunday and is "progressing," though Cassidy didn't say if he would play Monday.

The Lightning have been without defenseman Ryan McDonagh due to an undisclosed injury since Game 1 of the series.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I really have no faith after seeing how they responded in Game 4. This one has the same feeling as 2018 and the end of the Montreal series in 2014.

Reactions: Gnome17 and Gordoff

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I don't think the players believe, which is the most important thing. If the Bruins get a good start and can jag an early goal or two, I can see them fighting it out for a win, and then who knows from there, but if they fall behind I think they'll wilt pretty quickly and the prospect of escaping the bubble and going home will become even more enticing.

Personally I still believe the Bruins can beat Tampa if they put in a good performance and full effort. But I'm not confident we'll see that and my gut feeling is that this ends here. Will still watch and hope and cheer them on, but I'm prepared for the probability that their exit is imminent.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I don't think the players believe, which is the most important thing. If the Bruins get a good start and can jag an early goal or two, I can see them fighting it out for a win, and then who knows from there, but if they fall behind I think they'll wilt pretty quickly and the prospect of escaping the bubble and going home will become even more enticing.

Personally I still believe the Bruins can beat Tampa if they put in a good performance and full effort. But I'm not confident we'll see that and my gut feeling is that this ends here. Will still watch and hope and cheer them on, but I'm prepared for the probability that their exit is imminent.
THIS ^^^^^^^^^^QUOTED^^^^^^FOR ^^^^^^^^^^^^^REALITY!!

The Bruins have a LOT to prove to themselves and to their followers...
So far they've proven nothing except that they wanted to follow Tuukka out that door.
When the going got tough, they packed their jammies and are ready to go home.
If they truly wanted to win, the last game would've been the time.
The hole is deep and they showed no heart, no soul, no initiative across the board.
Tomorrow will be a mercy kill.

Last edited:

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Absolutely a winnable game and I expect the boys to be buzzing.

We’ve blown 3-1 series leads and it’s about god damn time we made someone else do it.

This board has turned into the Toronto Maple Leafs board v 2.0 the past 5 days and it’s getting old.

:huh:

Reactions: Gordoff

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

If they win one the belief can come back...but I hear ya.

Reactions: bbfan419

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
If they win one the belief can come back...but I hear ya.

I agree, as I said, get one back and then you never know what happens from there.

I think it's been instructive that so far in the bubbles no-one has come from more than being more than one game behind to win a series, including in the qualifying round, and every elimination game in the playoffs proper has gone the way of the team ahead except for Montreal sneaking one back against the Flyers, the Blackhawks doing the same against Vegas, and the Islanders getting nervy and blowing a 2-0 lead against the Caps. In both those cases the leading team still finished things off in the next game. That suggests to me that the lure of home and reduced resiliency in an unusual living/playing environment is making it that little bit harder for teams to find the will to fight back into a series than it already is in normal circumstances.

That's probably not really surprising, although I expect it will cease to be a factor next round when things get proper serious and the Cup is close.

Reactions: Gordoff

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
If they get up 2-0 early (that’d be a nice change) it would do wonders for their confidence.

If they go down early it might get ugly.

Here’s to Vasilevsky letting one in from centre off the puck drop

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011

If the Bruins really don't believe and/or have had enough of the bubble then it really doesn't matter WTF I believe or WTF I think

I ALWAYS want the B's to win the Stanley Cup EVERY year and am usually very optimistic, but if most of the team (or even some of them) are homesick and ready to go home it doesn't matter what I want or how much I believe...it ain't gonna happen.

..it would be hard enough beating TB if the B's were ALL in and pumped to do so, but with their #1 goalie gone and too many players not giving their all, there's no way they beat the bolts.

I'll be cheering hard for them to win as I always do, but the players are the ones who control their own destiny. It's up to them ...not me

Thomas 11

Apr 15, 2018
Alberta Beach, Alberta
Let’s see Stud and Bjork with Coyle. Move Kulman down to replace Stewart. Give’m hell tomorrow if we go down, do it with all guns blazing!
One at a time. We can win tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille