Post-Game Talk: ECSF Game 3 - B's can't recover from another bad start - Tampa 4 B's 1 - Lightning leads series 2-1

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I think Debrusk has chemistry with Krejci. Rick Nash is the issue on that line in my opinion. If I was going to change it up, I would centre Krejci between Debrusk and Heinen and move Rick Nash to the third line. Maybe Backes needs to come out and let Gionta (as much as I hate to say this) at least bring some spark?
Backes can fit on the 4th line.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
With Marchand and DeBrusk not skating...

Top nine this morning:
Heinen - Bergeron - Pastrnak
Donato - Krejci - Rick Nash
Wingels - Acciari - Backes

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
And possibly a bit of favoritism as well? I saw Riley Nash last night get a knee on kneed in the first that was a clear interference and no call, but then Boston gets penalized for pretty much the exact same thing a few minutes later. I know, refereeing is uneven at the best of times and there doesn't have to be a conspiracy afoot, but it has felt at times like the Bruins are not getting the breaks from refs as consistently as other teams. Maybe Marchy chirped too many of them too hard over the years that they have zero sympathy for any team he plays on :laugh:

EDIT: If your post was sarcastic it flew right past me- teach me to post without enough coffee in me!

I posted the stats with sarcasm about their level of discipline- they aren't any more disciplined than the remaining teams.

As @GloryDaze4877 says the Bruins should do more to force the issue but the calls have been there (does not get more obvious than Marchand breakaway or Chara nightstick, even allowing for game management or human error on interference/holds, etc).

The Bruins likely lose these two games anyways but it's a sour taste to know they could have been David vs Goliath and sent last one to OT etc.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Callahan makes $5.8m.

It’s what happens when guys reach FA at 31/32 and can get $6m for 5-6 years (the going rate it appears).

Yeah, it does, but it sort of hurts a little, doesn't it? I was a fan of the Backes signing (though not the term/price necessarily) but it isn't looking real good right now. If we have to stick him on the 4th line at Tim Schaller minutes to get anything useful out of him, I'd have to say that the deal sucks.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
That's a great point. I didn't think Carlo was even close to terrific this season, but he'd make a huge difference right now. I also don't think McQuaid has killed us against TB, I just think we'd be a better team with a better option at #6. If he's our #7, which you're right he would be with Carlo, we are in good shape. And I'll be fair...he was much better than Krug, Gryz or Kevan last night. Those three were atrocious.
Not to be a jerk but its hard to look bad if you don't even play 10 minutes.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Yeah, it does, but it sort of hurts a little, doesn't it? I was a fan of the Backes signing (though not the term/price necessarily) but it isn't looking real good right now. If we have to stick him on the 4th line at Tim Schaller minutes to get anything useful out of him, I'd have to say that the deal sucks.

It does.

It’s why I was ok with Sweeney dealing Lucic and against giving him a 6/7 year deal when he was heading into free agency (and he was younger than Backes/Loui/etc).

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Shit happens on the first 2 goals.
The Bruins are out of sync and have no answer to Lightning adjusment in game 2 and 3.

The Lightning are in the Bruins passing and shooting lanes, Cassidy needs to adapt to the situation.

Bruins need to give a better effort then the last 2 games.

The whole team needs to play like there's no tomorrow.
Discipline and focused, that also includes the coaching staff.
They need to Tight the Defence and play as a team and we should get control of that series.

Reactions: Bruin

BlackCrowes

Sep 10, 2014
Sunny Old Lyme
I’d say puck support is the biggest one.

Used to have a coach that had a pretty simple saying. Be where you should be. Not sprinting to where you should’ve been. Too much of the latter is a problem.

Boston’s D gaps aren’t good right now. Forwards arent supporting each other. Fix those two things and they’ll look a helluva lot faster.

Easier said than done I guess. Guys are tired and that’s when the mental issues tend to rear their heads

Great post and spot on. Be in the right place, at the right time, FOR THE RIGHT REASON. Know why you are there and what your job is. Too often they looked confused, uncertain, unsure. They look mentally exhausted and it’s showing in their level of effort and execution.

Last edited:

BlackCrowes

Sep 10, 2014
Sunny Old Lyme
Instead of switching up the lines I think we need to switch up a little strategy. They are clearly taking away any neutral zone space and their Dmen are parked on the blue line, but yet we keep trying to skate through them for a clean entry. I hate to say it but we have to dump and chase and make their Dmen pay on the forecheck. We need something to get them to surrender the blue line. 2 guys in gangbusters at all times and one man high. Gotta get behind their D. I heard Cassidy say it last night but I didn't see it from the players. Also, with Vasilevsky doing his best Brodeur impression handling the puck we may to to just softly lob it outside the trapezoid if that's even possible

Bruce has been saying that for two games, either the players are listening or they are ignoring him. Because you have to turn the D and fore check the blue blazes out of them to turn this series around. With the play always in front of Tampa’s D it’s too easy for them. Time to make them work!!

Reactions: Bmessy

bwdrums1

Dec 14, 2017
Let's be honest...he IS a traditional 4th liner at this point. He's a physical presence who looks to stir things up but clearly can't make a big impact against/with top lines due to the speed of the game. Put him where he can succeed.
Both Tampa 4th liners Callahan and Kunitz can still skate circles around Backes. I respect the guy, but too many NHL battles have taken their toll on the guy and he's aging almost by the game.

Reactions: FanSince72

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
There are so many fair weather fans here....Too bad. The boys deserve better.
I'm not sure how you can call anybody on a chat forum talking about their team a fair weather fan. I see many die hard fans who are being critical of team and certain members play of late but to me that doesn't make them fair weather. The fair weather are those people walking around in a Bruins jersey on game day who wouldn't have a clue as to who the back up goalie is for the Bruins. I would suggest most fans on this site could name the next three goalies in the depth chart after Khudobin...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad