GDT: ECSF G1: (4)Boston Bruins v (6)New York Rangers II

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Didn't see all that in that particular play. Actually, it wasn't that bad of a hit. I also think JB played a little possum there...which I applaud. It's the "nice looking cousin of diving"...he drew a penalty from a hit that "looked" wicked severe, but in actuality, wasn't that bad at all.

I don't think he sold it, I genuinely believe he got his bell rung, I just don't think Pyatt did much wrong there. Sometimes crap just goes wrong.

BoyntBergie

Mar 9, 2004
I don't think he sold it, I genuinely believe he got his bell rung, I just don't think Pyatt did much wrong there. Sometimes crap just goes wrong.

I thought he was selling it as soon as I saw it happen. Not his first time either.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Semantics, JB purposely had his face to the boards, no he didn't do it abruptly and Pyatt had opportunity to see it, he just finished it a little too enthusiastically. Refs weren't even going to call a penalty until JB was hurt. And 10 times out of 10 if JB stays up there it's no penalty.

If you just read what I wrote and your reaction was "semantics" then you literally didn't understand any of it.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I think the sentiment (guy you quoted aside) is not that you shouldn't expect "any" contact, but that you should not expect "violent contact directly to the back of your head". That should have been 5 at least IMO, maybe 5+GM.

Don't speak for me.

The only okay contact in that spot is to push the guy up to the boards so he can't control the puck anymore.

An actual check is not allowed. It is called boarding.

Not all physical play is a check. Body contact can happen without a check being thrown. That is what Pyatt should have done. Instead he threw a check, that while on its own force might not be that bad, on a player in that position it is.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
This OT actually wasn't ... exciting.
Don't get this wrong, we played great but for me it was just a matter of time when WE score. I was never afraid they would score. I didn't hold my breath once when they were in our zone.
But then of course, this was only like 2 or 3 times the case.

I'm rewatching OT right now.

This is an incorrect statement.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Don't speak for me.

The only okay contact in that spot is to push the guy up to the boards so he can't control the puck anymore.

Not all physical play is a check. Body contact can happen without a check being thrown. That is what Pyatt should have done. Instead he threw a check, that while on its own force might not be that bad, on a player in that position it is.

:laugh: Such a tough guy ... btw he wasn't referring to you.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
JB most certainly did not dive. He was down and tot moving. The trainer doesn't go out there for a dive. I sit on the opposite corner and it was nasty.

I saw it closer than you did then because I had the benefit of being at home watching several slow motion replays from various angles at the time it happened... :)

Note that I specifically didn't call it a dive, but instead that he played a bit of possum--"pretending", if you will--to have been more injured than he actually was. And, the trainer will go out in either case because he doesn't know how severe the hit was, so that's not really relevant. I'm not saying that the hit didn't cause him some temporary pain. I'm just saying he smartly oversold the strong hit a bit in order to draw a call. Smart play. I love JB.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
I thought he was selling it as soon as I saw it happen. Not his first time either.

I have a mancrush on Manchuk, but I agree with you on this one. I still believe that he's tough as nails though.

BigBadBruin8

@rsox1221
Jul 31, 2005
Shrewsbury, MA
Don't speak for me.

I'm pretty sure we agree with each other, but I'm also somewhat unsure if part of this is facetious, so in conclusion I'm basically totally unsure where to go from here...

Pyatt shouldn't have thrown that hit. It was dangerous. That is all. ;)

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Ehhhh ... He didn't come in that hard and JB put himself in that position. I didn't see the malice there. Deserved the boarding penalty, 5 maybe but I think that's even a stretch.

Problem is JB was there for a significant period of time WITH his numbers facing out the entire time. Obviously looking to tie up the puck. You can't drive a guys head into the boards in that situation. Respect --- the word we hear over and over but see little of.

Not sure if it's supplemental worthy, but at best a bush league play by Piatt. He deserves to get run during this series and I hope he does at some point.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Problem is JB was there for a significant period of time WITH his numbers facing out the entire time. Obviously looking to tie up the puck. You can't drive a guys head into the boards in that situation. Respect --- the word we hear over and over but see little of.

Not sure if it's supplemental worthy, but at best a bush league play by Piatt. He deserves to get run during this series and I hope he does at some point.

You see that hit 10 times a game, and the vast majority of the times nobody gets hurt. Our guys do it too, I know its not the popular sentiment since one of the good guys got hurt on the play, but literally the only reason it's being discussed is because Johnny got hurt. For a crowd that's so vocal about punishing the play and not the outcome, this whole notion that this was some egregious act by Pyatt and the book should be thrown at him is downright comical.

JB is an NHL vet, he knows he's bound to take contact in that situation. Again, Pyatt didn't run him, nor did he leave his feet, nor did he have his elbows up. He came in a little hot and that's where the argument that a boarding MINOR was warranted has some validity ... beyond that it's just a whole lot of whining through Black & Gold glasses.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I really don't think he sold anything. His back was turned for a few seconds and he did not know he was about to get hit. Looked like a classic boarding call to me, even if Pyatt wasn't going full force (which is largely irrelevant, isn't it?).

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
You see that hit 10 times a game, and the vast majority of the times nobody gets hurt. Our guys do it too, I know its not the popular sentiment since one of the good guys got hurt on the play, but literally the only reason it's being discussed is because Johnny got hurt. For a crowd that's so vocal about punishing the play and not the outcome, this whole notion that this was some egregious act by Pyatt and the book should be thrown at him is downright comical.

JB is an NHL vet, he knows he's bound to take contact in that situation. Again, Pyatt didn't run him, nor did he leave his feet, nor did he have his elbows up. He came in a little hot and that's where the argument that a boarding MINOR was warranted has some validity ... beyond that it's just a whole lot of whining through Black & Gold glasses.

Don't think I'm whining at all. If you think Pyatt doesn't deserve to get run at some point in this series, good for you. I think he does. If you want to call me a whiner for that I'm troubled to find something that I could care less about.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Hey guys,

Just want to congratulate you on winning game 1. It was a close game which either team could have won but in OT, you were much better and much quicker. I guess rolling 4 lines all game helped a lot against our guys who were tired in the end.

The Pyatt hit looked accidental and 2 minutes is enough. He was trying to avoid the hit rather than checking Boychuck into the boards full force.

Your young guns on D are really impressive. I especially liked Bartkowski, who seems to have no play-off jitters and looks to be one for the future.

This will turn out to be a fantastic series. I am afraid more games will go to OT. I just wish someone else would have scored. Marchand is basically the only player on your roster I don't like.

Good luck on Sunday in game 2. I am sure both teams will go at it with a lot more pace and the game will be a lot more physical.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Agreeing with Sarge is fine...That does not make you or him correct in the assessment. If you are taking Seidenberg instead of McDonough or Girardi....Then I think that pretty much sums up that you are a great FAN of your team but don't exactly want to give much credit when its due. Seids is a solid player who becomes way better when paired with Chara. On his own he is a 3-4 deman. The BRUIN system has also helped him look better....If not he might still be in Carolina or Philly.

That's kind of my point though. We have Chara, who teams should and likely do game plan for. If he were paired with Seids, Mc Donagh or Girardi, nothing would change.

But.... If Chara were not in this conversation, nobody would do anything different to counter Seidenberg, Girardi, McDonagh or any other defenseman in this series.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Was it me or were there a good amount of Ranger fans there?
It didn't seem to be as high as the Leafs, but I definitely saw blue there, heard noise when the Rangers scored, and I even heard a "Potvin sucks" whistle.
Anybody else catch that?

I didn't think for a weeknight game there would be that many.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Problem is that Lucic would have got chucked for that. I'd be happy to make that bet any day of the week.

I also think that Lucic hits with more force than Pyatt and whoever he would hit would not be as lucky as Boychuk was.

A lot of the time it's the result that is penalized, and the result would be worse if Lucic threw the hit (in my opinion). It sucks that it's that way, but it is the way it is...

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Was it me or were there a good amount of Ranger fans there?
It didn't seem to be as high as the Leafs, but I definitely saw blue there, heard noise when the Rangers scored, and I even heard a "Potvin sucks" whistle.
Anybody else catch that?

I didn't think for a weeknight game there would be that many.

They were scattered about. The majority of them seemed to be in the loge. Very quiet in the balcony.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad