Series Discussion: ECSF: Capitals vs Penguins (Pens win) (mod warning post 806)

Tweedsuitcase

Sep 28, 2009
Anything can happen in a game 7, but I didn't think this team would just lay a turd like that. Thought they'd finally take this one, or at least lay it all out.

OVrocks

Dec 9, 2009
LA
As a fan it's heartbreaking. I can say with near 100% certainty that I will not see a player as good as Ovechkin 2010 in my lifetime in a Caps jersey.

Probably not in any team's jersey actually, prime Ovie was the most dangerous and electrifying player in NHL history.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
The thing is.... pro sports is just a form of entertainment. You can watch movies... tv.. go play video games... travel... amusement parks... all kinds of stuff you PAY MONEY to do for entertainment.

Caps are not very entertaining anymore. Regular season means nothing - and playoffs is just not fun. Constant disappointments

TRASHCAT

Sep 23, 2009
Boulder, CO
I know, I am just in a pissy mood. But fracking has helped revitalize many areas, not just western PA. And coal IS coming back!

I refuse to say Mario saved the franchise, unless him not suing to get paid counts. Owners are all gaga over star players and signed off the closed door gifting of Sid, and giving them NBC for marketing, more saved that franchise.

Fracking along with mountain top renewal turned Appalachia into an industrial wasteland and coal is a ****ing joke that employs less people than Wendy's

Last edited:

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
The thing is.... pro sports is just a form of entertainment. You can watch movies... tv.. go play video games... travel... amusement parks... all kinds of stuff you PAY MONEY to do for entertainment.

Caps are not very entertaining anymore. Regular season means nothing - and playoffs is just not fun. Constant disappointments

Another reason Sutter would be such a hard pill to swallow. He'd be using a very inferior team playing a very boring brand of hockey trying to win it all. It's hard to get amped up for a team that can't even be entertaining.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008

Talk amongst yourselves.

Not sure what to make of that quote. He would have every reason to be angry with OV's effort and maybe doesn't want to bash the Great 8 right now. Or he's emotional about OV's lack of playoff success and feels for him.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
I'm a Leafs/Crosby fan but I still respect Ovie enough that I sincerely want to see him win a Cup some day. At this point though it's looking like he'll have to do it as a rental on a contender later in his career, and DEFINITELY not in a leadership role. He's a one-dimensional, "stand on the dot waiting for one-timers and occasionally throw a few hits" player at this point. Great as a supplementary piece but not enough to lead a team anywhere. Take away his leadership responsibility, let him do his thing, and he'll be better off in the long run.

Backstrom doesn't get a pass either. I've always believed he was one of the most underrated players in the entire league (regular season at least) and is still a world-class playmaker. Not a leader though.

When you look back at it now, slapping letters on Ovie and Backstrom is like something you would do playing NHL17 on Xbox or something, just because they were the best players on a team. Real hockey doesn't work that way.

I feel for you Caps fans, hang in there (sincerely)

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
For me, the worst part of this playoffs is regular season. I mean, at this point I will not be able to engage in 82 games, like half year of absolutely meaningless hockey. It will be unbearable and I know it just now. Maybe its a good time to watch on the ice some other hockey markets like Hurricanes, Sabres or Panthers (Caps in the meantime) and just wait for another playoffs run - hopefully with different names and coach

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
About this game... in terms of overall team play, from my perspective, the Pens were able to muster the speed to take away time & space, leading to some critical turnovers and preventing the Caps from consistently putting them on their heels like in Games 5 & 6. Once the Caps got behind, especially 2-0, it was desperation, and not the good kind, because they had no real answers -- while Pens got really confident and just ran out the clock.

The overall conclusion -- Caps need to get faster. Faster/higher work-rate players, better passing, better coaching, whatever component you can improve. It's hard to overcome other flaws, mental and physical, when you are always in danger of getting outskated -- even when the effort is there.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Interested in Caps fans thoughts on Shattenkirk now?
Good luck if your team signs him to a mega-deal. He's worse than Green IMO since Green can at least skate. I don't think he's more than a #4 due to that weakness alone. Elsewhere it may not be as magnified and maybe he'd fit in better on the PP but I wouldn't want to pay him $6M+. He's too slow/soft to be a truly dynamic difference-maker from the back-end.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
I'm a Leafs/Crosby fan but I still respect Ovie enough that I sincerely want to see him win a Cup some day. At this point though it's looking like he'll have to do it as a rental on a contender later in his career, and DEFINITELY not in a leadership role. He's a one-dimensional, "stand on the dot waiting for one-timers and occasionally throw a few hits" player at this point. Great as a supplementary piece but not enough to lead a team anywhere. Take away his leadership responsibility, let him do his thing, and he'll be better off in the long run.

Backstrom doesn't get a pass either. I've always believed he was one of the most underrated players in the entire league (regular season at least) and is still a world-class playmaker. Not a leader though.

When you look back at it now, slapping letters on Ovie and Backstrom is like something you would do playing NHL17 on Xbox or something, just because they were the best players on a team. Real hockey doesn't work that way.

I feel for you Caps fans, hang in there (sincerely)

The Ovi of today isn't even the Ovi of two years ago when he finished second to Price in the MVP race.

We wasted his prime unfortunately, now that we've built a complete team around him his game has become one-dimensional.

Has to look himself in the mirror and reinvent his game this summer or else he needs to be shipped out.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Good luck if your team signs him to a mega-deal. He's worse than Green IMO since Green can at least skate. I don't think he's more than a #4 due to that weakness alone. Elsewhere it may not be as magnified and maybe he'd fit in better on the PP but I wouldn't want to pay him $6M+. He's too slow/soft to be a truly dynamic difference-maker from the back-end.

I agree with alot of what you said.
I've been arguing for awhile I thought he was extremely overrated but the analytics guys told me I was wrong and that he was awesome. Good offensive player but extremely soft, prone to lazy turnovers and someone who has stretchs of just awful defensive play.

Think whoever signs him to the contract thats been rumoured is going to be very dissapointed a year into the deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad