Series Discussion: ECSF: Capitals vs Penguins (Pens win) (mod warning post 806)

Demandedace

Apr 9, 2015
Flames fan coming in peace.
I feel bad for your guys' fans; I hope something gives there. I really thought this was Washington's year and I hate seeing the Pens going to the finals again.

Kind of felt that there were going to be issues with this team once they couldn't 4 game Toronto... but man, it's the same story every year.

Good luck in the summer, also, please give us Grubauer, we need a goalie bad :laugh:

Sorry man, he is pretty much all but guaranteed going to Vegas. I hear Pitt is looking to unload one of their goalies though and suddenly MAF is good again too

Tweedsuitcase

Sep 28, 2009
I wonder what heartbreaking way they would have beat us if they'd managed to trade fluery at the deadline?

nautikal

Jan 19, 2008
I think if you look at this playoffs with no context, it looks OK. Caps played hard, looked very good frequently, and lost a hard fought 7 game series to a good team. If you ignore the Ovie-era Caps playoff history, it was a decent run.

Now, obviously most are viewing this as "yet another choke by a team that can never get by round 2." But, as an outside fan, I do think that's a bit harsh. The Caps lost, but they played well these playoffs, if it wasn't for all the history this would be viewed as a solid performance.

Sorry but I have to disagree. They did not play well, and they certainly did not play up to their potential.

The Caps should not have taken 6 games to beat Toronto, and in the Pens series they could not finish and made an inordinate amount of costly mistakes (I'd be very interested to see a stat on the number of odd-man breaks the Caps gave up compared to the Pens). It doesn't matter if you outshoot the opponent by 50% and dominate stretches of the game; playoff games are always close and you will throw them away by giving up scoring opportunities on a golden platter.

It's especially frustrating because we saw flashes of how good they could play in game 5 and especially game 6. Whether it was attitude, effort, coaching, curses, hockey gods, whatever – at the end of the day, this was an incredibly talented team that did not play to its potential.

The Consiglieri

Feb 19, 2007
Probably not in any team's jersey actually, prime Ovie was the most dangerous and electrifying player in NHL history.

Never saw Gretzky?

Even with the Oilers having gagged it up tonight I find myself wondering why I just didn't follow my grandfathers team (paternal grandparents from Edmonton area and Nova Scotia respectively), the Gretzky and Messier lead Oilers teams were on the tele every spring when we visited when I was little. Why in hell did I ever decide to ruin hockey for the next 40 years by being a Caps fan instead?

Anyway Ovy has definitely been a thrilling player to watch, but he's not in the same universe as Gretzky. Not close.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I think the Capitals have shown that you cannot build a team around a goal-scoring winger. Historically, teams have been built on playmaking-centers, puck-moving defensemen, and/or Vezina caliber goaltenders. Wingers just cannot influence the game as much as those other players.

While I think Ovechkin might be one of the lesser problems (Backstrom is garbage, for one. Orlov/Niskanen were trash in game 7), he's being paid 10 million/season. He has a big pedigree. He gets a ton of ice time and accolades. With that, he has to deliver in critical moments at a very consistent rate.

The Consiglieri

Feb 19, 2007
Oh yeah...1-9 against the Pens in the playoffs now. *Ugh*

I am sure that must be record breaking somehow.

Only reason we broke the curse and made the finals in '98 was because the Penguins, like the rest of the top seeds except us got knocked out in round 1. Then this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHLkk2gV3C4

Honestly I should have known after that nothing ever good would ever happen for me as a Caps fan, but I had no idea what tortures the new century would have in store for me, and us.

GOAT AINEC

Soon..
Jun 4, 2014
Typical Capitals, that's really all there is to say. Would have been less painful if they lost in 5 or lost to the Leafs, but the Capitals way is to make the fans suffer as much as possible.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Only reason we broke the curse and made the finals in '98 was because the Penguins, like the rest of the top seeds except us got knocked out in round 1. Then this happened:

Honestly I should have known after that nothing ever good would ever happen for me as a Caps fan, but I had no idea what tortures the new century would have in store for me, and us.

Yeah, that flub was hard to take.

They had no chance against that stacked HOF Red Wings team, though. Even if Esa would have scored there and they hung on to win, they would have lost in 5 games.

Anyway, 1998 was as good as it gets. In their pathetic history, the Caps have exactly 4 wins past the second round in the playoffs. *Ugh*

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Flames fan coming in peace.
I feel bad for your guys' fans; I hope something gives there. I really thought this was Washington's year and I hate seeing the Pens going to the finals again.

Kind of felt that there were going to be issues with this team once they couldn't 4 game Toronto... but man, it's the same story every year.

Good luck in the summer, also, please give us Grubauer, we need a goalie bad :laugh:

Don't feel bad for us. We're fine. Do you mean the Pens going to the ECF or SCF? I think Ottawa will give them a difficult time actually in the ECF. The Toronto series taught us the Caps were pretty much in trouble this playoffs. Another reason why just squeak into the playoffs is all that matters in the NHL.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009

Yeah that is still difficult, especially as one of my all time favorite players who was known for clutch playoff play.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Leafs fan here. Man, I'm so sorry guys. Even though you guys beat us I really wanted Ovi to finally get his first cup. Hopefully you'll get one in the very near future.

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
I am absolutely gobsmacked at how bad we played. Passes going into skates instead of tape, flubbed shots all game, defence not getting the puck out, losing every board battle, no real big hits. First few minutes aside, we were terrible. Only guy that played well was Holtby.

I honestly don't know where you go from here. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say blow it up. But who's gonna go pay well for Ovechkin at this stage of his career? Oshie needs to be resigned before we can trade for value. Backstrom is tradeable, and I'd look to do that. Keep Kuzy. Who else would you keep, being honest? I'd trade most of the team at this point to be honest. Maybe keep a few of the young, smaller earners and move the rest. What else is there to do? This core/team we have right here can't win, and I'm not sure how many more chances they need to show it

Last edited:

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Why they didn't lost it in 4 or 5? why make this ****ing comeback if you still lose. hate everything, it's so frustrating.

cbj21

Oct 2, 2005
Shampoo land
Lot of fans that pretty much never see their teams in the playoff or last no longer than the first round so stay positive. You get to see meaningfull hockey longer than most fans do.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Love seeing this.

**** this team.

Infuriating, but not surprising. :shakehead

This team needs new leadership and better, more agile coaching. You could see the Pens attacking the outlet passes on the boards from the middle of the 3rd period onward. Just like Toronto did. The Pens were BAITING the Caps into it. And the Caps KEPT DOING IT. Trotz had NO clue. And what happened? Both goals against came on bad breakouts up the left side. There were so many of them it could've been 5-0 Pens if not for some great saves or luck.

And offensively they seemed to have no direction or plan other than getting the puck deep and "wearing them out". The Pens were happy to overload the puck and isolate the puckhandler while shadowing his obvious passing option. And the Caps NEVER ADJUSTED.

We see the warning signs all year, every year. They surge and slump. They're fragile enough that little things such as an extra day off or a bad goal/penalty can send them into a long tailspin.

As I said when they were down 3-1 it's over, this team does not have "it".

Raise another banner. Then fire the coach and clean house.

billcook

Apr 17, 2012
Guys, it could be worse.

You could be dumbass like me and be completely alright with 2nd round exits as long as they are more than in 4-5 games.

Cheer up, hockey is not the life it is only a part of it.

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
I don't think there's any choice but to clean it up now g00n I agree. What else can we try with this core? Any ideas? Nothing works. We've changed coaches multiple times, added D, added bottom 6, added scoring depth. Ovechkin isn't getting any better or more valuable at this stage of his career, we need to cash in. Like I said earlier, the list of those I would keep in this team is pretty small. When I've more time I'll list who I would put out to grass, and those I would keep. But honestly, I think it needs to happen. Nows the time and I don't see what else there is to do

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad