GDT: ECSF #6|Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Washington Capitals|If this is it, we still celebrate!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I hope Letang takes full ownership for his mistakes like he says he does and has the game of his life tonight.

Him playing like the #1D he's capable of would go a long way toward the Pens winning tonight.

Reactions: RizzleMcRib

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
My pre-game thoughts (from the series thread)

1. Don't panic. We've been here before with Tampa in 2016. We were 3-3 with Washington in 2017. Against elimination is an uneasy feeling for us as of late. Only twice have we been there. I believe this will light an extra little flame under the boys.

2. We have played well enough to win 4 games out of the 5. Playoffs are as much about luck as anything. We should know what all too well from 2016 and 2017, ESPECIALLY 2017. Fact is, sometimes the puck goes your way, some times it doesn't. That's hockey, that's life. 4 of the 5 could have gone either way. Just like in 16 and 17 against the Caps. They've been in our shoes, we are now in theirs. Keep the heads up because we've played well enough to win and I believe we will continue to play well enough to win.

3. Home game. Crowd can help. I don't think Sid nor the rest of the team wants to let down the crowd on home ice.

4. This is really coming down to individual players performing. We can yak it up all day on who has played well and who hasn't. Fact is, playoffs isn't about playing well. It's about winning. To win, you need to produce. Only Sid, Jake, Geno, and Horny have done that. The rest haven't. For this team to pull the next two, more players have to start contributing. And not just nice looking zone time, cool cycles, and chest snipes. No. ****ing Kessel needs to start firing that puck in the god damn net. Brassard needs to figure his **** out, build on what he's done and start firing the ****ing puck into the god damn net. Rust and Sheary need to start putting the ****ing puck in the ****ing net. Hagelin needs to start producing with Malkin and Horny, period. The 4 line needs to chip in a damn goal, same with the defenders.

At this point, I don't give a **** who's "had good games" or "who looked good". That doesn't mean **** right now. Why? We are down 3-2 and we've missed enough opportunities over the last 5 games to have swept this series. To win Cups, the entire team needs to contribute. We are not getting that. They are capable though. They need to start doing it. Bottom line, brass tax, at the end of the day, all it comes down to...is those players that are on the team to put the ****ing puck in the net to start putting the ****ing puck in the net. End.

5. Murray needs to beat Holtby this game. I don't give a damn about the defense. I get that aspect. I do. But if that's the defense we are going to get we need Murray to be on top of his game. He hasn't been the Murray of 16 and 17. Again, no more "but he's played well". He has. I don't discount what he's done. But he needs to win tonight. He needs to win the goalie battle. Two games 100% up for grabs...and he hasn't. Chance for chance, Holtby has bested him...bigly...this series.

6. PP needs to start firing the puck. If Kessel won't shoot, Sully/Recchi need to replace him with someone who will. Time for feelings and pride is done. Fact is, Kessel has been dog **** this playoffs. If you want to win, you need to look to players who will help you win. Right now, that's not Kessel.

7. Stay out of the box. That will 100% be our undoing tonight if we let it. This can NOT be overstated enough. Stay out of the box. Period.

8. Simon off the top line. Try Sheary or Rust.

Jake-Sid-Sheary
Hags-Geno-Horny
Rust-Sheahan-Kessel
Kuhn-Brass-Simon

9. This game will come down to who buries chances. Bury the chances you get. Washington will be out for blood and will be 100% playing to not let up a chance. I'm expecting an intensely emotional game with hard checking from them while playing the utmost effective 2-way hockey. This one (and maybe next one) will not be easy. We can't afford to piss away chances on pretty passes.

10. Letang can not be the Letang from Game 5. That is 100% for certain. We've seen the ability for ONE player to give away a game. That simply can not happen tonight. If need be, his minutes need to be sheltered and others need to step up. This guy will cost us the series if the coaches let him. Can't be allowed to happen. Time for feelings is done. Letang needs to get his head out of his ass or sit it on the bench.

Those are my pre-game thoughts. I'm confident but nervous. Should be a great game.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I'm stuck with being in the Wings' market and you're correct: Daley's knees are going to go anyday now.

I think he's got another 3 yrs on his contract PLUS a No Trade Clause. Ken Holland is the gift that keeps giving! :laugh:

Ericsson
Daley
Dekeyser
Helm
AbdelKader
Frans Neilsen

Geezus. What awful contracts.

Lol I don't think Detroit has a top 4 Dman on their roster. Too funny. AND they didn't trade Green at the deadline, easily would've got a 1st for him.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
You shelter Letang's minutes before dropping him completely. Put him with Oleksiak on the 3rd.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Ericsson
Daley
Dekeyser
Helm
AbdelKader
Frans Neilsen

Lol I don't think Detroit has a top 4 Dman on their roster. Too funny. AND they didn't trade Green at the deadline, easily would've got a 1st for him.

I was flabbergasted Holland got resigned. I mean YESH! f*** me that's terrible.

Reactions: PensandCaps

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think we'll win tonight, I just don't think we win that 7th game this year.

Prove me wrong though, Pens.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
After what this team has represented and accomplished the last two seasons I'm proud of them no matter what!!! It's been a hell of a run very few can match and am thankful to our team! That being said We have a lot of guys playing hurt (key guys at that) and this season a lot of inconsistent play from our blue line. So IF this it it's been awesome, and hopefully some much needed changes come in the off season. LET'S GO PENS!

Amen. It's been a great ride regardless of when it ends. I really do appreciate it as someone who watched the Pens during the dark years of Bylsma failures, 2001-2005 Rico Fata days, and also that brief period late 90s/2000s where we had Jagr and dick all else.

This team has done great things, and I'm proud of them. I hope they go down swinging.

RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.
Jun 17, 2014
Wherever there are cheeseburgers.
Amen. It's been a great ride regardless of when it ends. I really do appreciate it as someone who watched the Pens during the dark years of Bylsma failures, 2001-2005 Rico Fata days, and also that brief period late 90s/2000s where we had Jagr and dick all else.

This team has done great things, and I'm proud of them. I hope they go down swinging.
Man, if we only had Toby Petersen to ride shotgun with Crosby.

Reactions: Pancakes

Clatartar

Dec 28, 2014
With the season on the line, I look forward to Rust's performance tonight. Guy has a habit of bringing it.

I hope we don't get Tangered tonight.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Ericsson
Daley
Dekeyser
Helm
AbdelKader
Frans Neilsen

I'm pretty sure Green got hurt right before the deadline.

Reactions: BillPrep

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
Win or lose there isn't anything to complain about with this team. Sid and Geno have no longer had their careers 'wasted' by only winning 1 Cup. Everything from here on out is just gravy.

Of course, I'll be bitching up a storm the first time Letang or Maata make fools of themselves tonight.

JR has some big decisions to make this summer, and I'd be surprised if at least one of Letang, Maata, Kessel, or Brassard isn't moved. Hopefully Sheary's included too.

Just don't lose on home ice boys. Not to these cheap f***ers.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
I can't believe that Simon is on the the roster....

Put Hornvist bach with Sid and Jake...they were dominant 5 vs 5....jees...

And put Malkin with Kessel and hagelin...they were good too together..,.

pensforlife

Jun 10, 2016
it's been an awesome ride. I am not ready for pens trip to end here but if it does

1. it will be at home ice
2. winning back to back eases the pain of lose to caps
3. this team will be right back in it next year.

Everyone needs to loosen up and just enjoy the show. Crack open a beer, eat some wings. It's a gravy show and just enjoy this awesome team!

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Did anyone look up how many goals the caps scored early or late in each period? Or is there no reason because thats only when they scored?

So its all on the Pens getting careless..sloppy...overconfident..etc.

Series should have been over already yet they are down 3-2. If they lose tonight, they better use this as motivation next year. JR needs to make the right moves, and they have to realize talent only gets you so far. Fact that they let up so many goals early and late tells me its all mental. On them..thinking theyre gonna win each game. More of that "regular season" mentality again.

Id blame Murray, but they didnt put him in this position the last two years. This is what they did to Fleury at times.
After everything thats happened this series...they still should be able to win this series. Thats how much better they are than the Caps. So if they lose tonight...they just dont have it mentally this year. Long grind. Get the rest in the offseason. Going into next year without the target being on their back for all 82 games. And go for another run next year.

Obviously avoid injuries..still say we are in this position because of it. Had an impact on the rest of the team. Role players were put in primary roles..and didnt come thru.

I was already worried about there being a huge turnover in the roster. So adding injuries on top of it? No surprise we are in this position.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
JR screwed the pooch this year, beginning with that terrible backup goalie. I give him a ton of credit for trying. It just didnt work

This isnt hindsight either...i had a bad feeling at the deadline. Getting a "big name" player. And then they came up short in adding another defender. Kessel getting hurt immediately didnt help Brassard either...so made things even worse.

If we do lose its a shame we wont get to see the numbers Guentzel and Crosby could put up. Could get close to 40 points.

And I still say Sprong should have played. Im gonna be pissed if he starts off the season on a tear. But whatever..Sully might bribe JR to trade him before the season starts.

We had these serious injuries and we still should have won this series 4-1. Just about every caps goal was early and late. Thats all on the pens. Losing focus. Just focus on D for first and last 5 mins..no idea why they kept letting that happen. Overconfident? Thinking they can win no matter what because of last 2 years? Its no coincidence a team scores that much early and late in periods. An obvious breakdown by the Pens.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
I just want them to play a great game tonight. If this is the end... what a f***ing amazing run they've had these past 3 seasons. 2 cups and 9 consecutive series wins... not too shabby :)

THAT SAID, I have a feeling that the Pens are going to win tonight to force a game 7... because the hockey gods won't let this series end without a game 7. Fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad