Pre-Game Talk: ECSF (4) Boston Bruins vs. (6) New York Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Didn't want to put this in the Moore thread because this is more about the D. I was thinking of the 05-06 team that got 100 points and looked amazing until the last 5 games of the regular season and playoffs. That team had Rozy-Malik as our top pairing. Technically when Staal is healthy our #6 D-man is John Moore. I know Rozy has been very good for Chicago this year and has been good for us in the past, but I don't think he was all that great in his first year. Anyway, I'm not sure I wouldn't take our #6 D-man over either of our top pairing D-men that year. Though to be fair Moore has probably played better than MDZ. If I'd take MDZ over those guys, I'm not sure.

beastly115

Oct 12, 2007
According to the Bruins board, Redden could be back for game 1. They think Ference and Seidenberg could be done for the year.

Would be huge for us if neither of those guys could play for a while.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
According to the Bruins board, Redden could be back for game 1. They think Ference and Seidenberg could be done for the year.

Would be huge for us if neither of those guys could play for a while.

I always like to play the other team at full strength, but we also don't have Clowe and more importantly Staal.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Clowe would be helpful in this series.

If the concussion news is true, that's a big blow to negating Lucic's crap.

I don't why people expect Clowe coming off two recent concussions to be a major positive factor. You don't beat the Bruins by outpunching them. You beat them by outplaying them. I honestly think they feed off the thug ****. Lucic is going to play the way he plays no matter what the Rangers do. They should just stay aware, play their game, and not engage in it.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Yeah, I can't help but laugh a little when I read how bummed they are he's out. Kind of want him to play just so I can see how he's "improved."

Just another piece of meat who couldnt play in NY but can thrive somewhere else. Might be a good thread.

I hope he plays and plays like dog poo although he has my respect and manning up in a bad situation and having a positivr impact on young guys in HFD.

*Bob Richards*

I don't why people expect Clowe coming off two recent concussions to be a major positive factor. You don't beat the Bruins by outpunching them. You beat them by outplaying them. I honestly think they feed off the thug ****. Lucic is going to play the way he plays no matter what the Rangers do. They should just stay aware, play their game, and not engage in it.

For all the criticism the Rangers get for not retaliating back against Boston, they seem to have a pretty damn good track record against that team in terms of actually winning the game.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Im not so much worried about the top line. The bruins are way more spread out and on most nights all 4 lines can score goals. Its gonna be more of a team defensive effort than having McD going and stopping ovi.

Agree, good balance. If Step matches against Bergeron, will be interesting.

ruckus*

Just another piece of meat who couldnt play in NY but can thrive somewhere else. Might be a good thread.

I hope he plays and plays like dog poo although he has my respect and manning up in a bad situation and having a positivr impact on young guys in HFD.

Redden on the B's when healthy is a third pair defenseman. His issue in New York was never that he didn't have the ability to be a third pair defenseman. It was that he was getting paid to be a first pair defenseman that produced offense and he carried a huge cap hit. I understand both sides of it. He hasn't really improved. But from another team's perspective where you're not paying him much, he can be a good bottom pair defneseman. It's funny how the same player, playing the same game, can have things changed with different perspectives/circumstances.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008

I wasn't referring to fighting.

For example, Clowe in one of the home game vs. the Caps gave Oleksy a few words and he didn't pull any crap during the rest of the game.

Although yes, as Bob said above, we do a pretty good job of beating them. They can be goonies all they want, but at the end of the day it's who wins the game.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
For all the criticism the Rangers get for not retaliating back against Boston, they seem to have a pretty damn good track record against that team in terms of actually winning the game.

Agree, many parallels to the construct of these two teams probably because of Gorton. May the worst PP advanceand beat the Pens.

I think we match up pretty well against their style and abilities, should be a classic series.

*Bob Richards*

Agree, many parallels to the construct of these two teams probably because of Gorton. May the worst PP advanceand beat the Pens.

.I think we match up pretty well against their style and abilities, should be a classic series

Hah, that's between you, me and all the Rangers/Bruins fans. ;)

Everyone else is going to hate our series. "Omg no1 is scoring goalz".

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here

I think this is a really good post, especially the last part. The Bruins like to oppose their physical will on teams and when you let them do that they gain strength in their game. You can't run around looking for retribution or try to match them hit for hit.

I think the Rangers did a good job of that with Ovechkin, in Game 7 specifically. They just played their game and focused on that.

You need to do the same with the Bruins. The Rangers have had success against this team both home and on the road because they've been allowed to play a patient, team game which suits them and their system well. With added skill from Brassard, that should help match some of the offensive depth the Bruins have, but we all know how these games go historically. Shot for shot, hit for hit, tight defensive games with great goaltending. The loss of some of the more important d-men on both squads might expose some depth issues in that regard but a lot of what these teams do defensively is derived from a team structure.

I think the Rangers just need to continue to do what they do and if a guy like Nash can get more involved ( he showed signs of coming out of it in games 6 & 7 last series) that could be a huge boost for them. I think the Rangers forward depth is rounding into form nicely with Pyatt and Asham picking up their game and a rested Dorsett getting his legs under him after being out so long. Don't underestimate what those guys mean to a team in the playoffs. If they can continue to do that and the Rangers can steal one out of the first two on the road, I could see this teams confidence spike even further. The added rest to start the series doesn't hurt either, unlike going right back to it in the second round like last year.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Redden on the B's when healthy is a third pair defenseman. His issue in New York was never that he didn't have the ability to be a third pair defenseman. It was that he was getting paid to be a first pair defenseman that produced offense and he carried a huge cap hit. I understand both sides of it. He hasn't really improved. But from another team's perspective where you're not paying him much, he can be a good bottom pair defneseman. It's funny how the same player, playing the same game, can have things changed with different perspectives/circumstances.

This I agree with. He actually didn't look bad in their series against Toronto. He's a fine 5-6 D with veteran presence. The reason he failed here was that he was being paid to be a #1 D man.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
I said it before the playoffs and the emergence of Brassard saved our ass in round 1, but I think this round we're gonna need more production.

Derek Stepan has to really step up and be a difference maker this series. Krejci has been on fire, and I have a bad feeling Bergeron has finally awoken after his game 7 performance.

We need Brassard and Stepan to match them this series. I think it's going to be interesting what Tortorella wants as far as matchups. Do you want the better defensive player in Stepan against Krejci who has 13 points so far but puts Brassard against their best defensive center and selke finalist Bergeron? Or do you want Stepan against Bergeron to cancel each other out and hope the Brassard line out produces Krejci, who by the way, is no slouch defensively. It's going to be tough that's for sure. Gonna really need to use the advantage we have in D and goaltending (which is another factor, Rask is better than Holtby, Lundqvist needs to be on his game EVERY game) this series to cover for our weakness in C compared to the Bruins.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad