ECSF: (1) Washington Capitals vs (2) Pittsburgh Penguins | Series tied at 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
You think this is the first time in NHL history a team has missed a key player in a series? Give your head a shake.

Also, your vision is clearly clouded by your Pensglasses. That's not true at all.

For the most part this series has been well fought on both the ice and on hfboards (compared to how it usually has been)

Reminds me of when Fuhr got hurt in the mid-90's during the playoffs when Kypreos ran into him. Another year in the mid 90's - early 2000's the Blues could have won a cup but something funky happened that killed their chances.

Anyways, yes - it happens all the time. Anyone who thinks an asterisk is needed should look at the eventual cup winners of just about every season.

Bumpus

Shhh ...
Mar 4, 2008
WV
I've got Pittsburgh winning this one 2-1 in OT.

I mean ... I'd gladly take it, but damn.

gKvr6.gif

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
The Penguins weren't supposed to win this series in the first place, they were playing against the Presidents Trophy winner while they didn't have Letang or Murray. They would be choking away a 3-1 lead, but they didn't really deserve to be up 3-1 in the series (although the Capitals didn't play well up until the 3rd period in game 5 though).

while I agree with you this series seems eerily similar to the caps rangers a couple years ago in the 2nd round. Caps went up 3 1 against the presidents trophy winner in a series of 1 goal games and then lost the last 3. happens but caps still catch **** for it.

no idea about tonight tho. Penguins look injured and worn out to me but that doesnt mean they cant win and I wouldnt be shocked with either outcome.

Pressure is only real if you let it be real.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
while I agree with you this series seems eerily similar to the caps rangers a couple years ago in the 2nd round. Caps went up 3 1 against the presidents trophy winner in a series of 1 goal games and then lost the last 3. happens but caps still catch **** for it.

I do expect the Penguins to take **** for it if they lose, I'm like positive about that. If it's just purely looking at the result, losing in 7 games to the Presidents Trophy winner when the Penguins didn't have Letang isn't anything to be ashamed of. It just looks bad because they had a 3-1 series lead at one point.

People watching the series would know the Penguins didn't choke I think though. The Capitals turned it on right when the Penguins unsustainable PDO came crashing down. Not having Letang and not having Murray in net hit right when the Capitals started playing well.

It seems it's a thin line between "The Pens weren't supposed to win the series" and "Who has a chance against the Pens?".

That wasn't a Penguins fan who made that thread.

Lawd Stanley

Apr 10, 2017
The Great White North
It seems it's a thin line between "The Pens weren't supposed to win the series" and "Who has a chance against the Pens?".

That was when they were up 3-1. Like duh!! But seriously the narrative changes so fast. If the Pens do win game 7 it will be because they are so superior to the choking dog Caps and they deserved every game and fought through it all despite injuries.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That was when they were up 3-1. Like duh!! But seriously the narrative changes so fast. If the Pens do win game 7 it will be because they are so superior to the choking dog Caps and they deserved every game and fought through it all despite injuries.

I think this is definitely very true. When the Penguins were up 2-0 in the series, everyone was writing the Capitals off and talking about how unbeatable the Penguins are. Now that it's tied 3-3, most people are writing the Penguins off and saying how unbeatable the Capitals are. This changed in like a span of a week.

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
Mike Sullivan deserves huge props for getting the team this far, he came up with about the only strategy to give the Pens a chance.

I'm sticking with my prediction Caps 5 pens 1, Pittsburgh has little left in the tank.

jdpitt05

Jan 10, 2009
Pittsburgh
Good series so far Caps. I think either team beats the Senators.

Everyone's blood pressure ready for a Triple OT game tonight? :D

SidDidNothingWrong

Beau's IcedCapp
Jan 2, 2014

It is almost as if there are hundreds of thousands of Pens fans and some are cynical ******** and the others are cocky ********** lmao

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
I like how the game actually goes won't matter to tomorrow's headlines. There's only two stories the media will tell.

1. Pens win - Crosby's tough leadership through injury, Ovechkin choking dog, Williams can't carry heart-less Caps
  2. Caps win - Crosby's tough leadership despite injury, Ovechkin/caps lucky Pens injured, Williams is god

Sword

May 26, 2014
Hopefully, the game will be as entertaining as the game 7 between the Hawks and Kings in 2014.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Hard to believe Mike Sullivan coached pens would lose 3 games in a row in the playoffs, but pens looked like they were running on fumes in game 6. I'm thinking we see a clear winner here tonight one way or another. Pens bounce back big or they are really done and caps waltz to an easy win.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
The Penguins weren't supposed to win this series in the first place, they were playing against the Presidents Trophy winner while they didn't have Letang or Murray. They would be choking away a 3-1 lead, but they didn't really deserve to be up 3-1 in the series (although the Capitals didn't play well up until the 3rd period in game 5 though).

Yet, you picked the Pens in 6 and were pretty confident about it.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ

:laugh:

I wasn't celebrating when we were up 3-1, as many of those could have gone either way. Regardless of what happens tonight, I'm going to be nervous, and enjoy it.

I have no hatred for the Caps. My only requirement is that if they beat us, they better win the cup. I'll be damn irritated if they decide that the conference final is their Stanley Cup.

That being said.... Go Pens! :D

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I like how the game actually goes won't matter to tomorrow's headlines. There's only two stories the media will tell.

1. Pens win - Crosby's tough leadership through injury, Ovechkin choking dog, Williams can't carry heart-less Caps
    [*]Caps win - Crosby's tough leadership despite injury, Ovechkin/caps lucky Pens injured, Williams is god

If Washington wins, they were simply the better team - something most Pens fans acknowledged from the start. Add in Pittsburgh's injuries, and it wouldn't be a surprise. They're really missing Letang. Daley playing at a **** level really hurts them as well - especially with Letang out.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Yet, you picked the Pens in 6 and were pretty confident about it.

Man Pens fans (including myself) were fairly confident about winning game 6 at home. Few (if any) expected them to come out flat and playing like **** knowing that if they lost, they'd have to go win game 7 on the road to advance. Yet that's exactly what they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad