Post-Game Talk: ECSF 1 | FLYERS (0) vs. Islanders (4) | Monday, Aug. 24, 2020

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I've reached a point where I just skip over some people's posts. I can't read the stuff while continuously ignoring the obvious. The PP teams inability to score has a drastic effect on team scoring as a whole. I'd venture to guess if they went 6-7/27 quite a few players would have more points as well. The higher the scoring differential the more the game is going to open up to a degree.

You can 100% blame management for keeping Provorov at the top of the umbrella or throwing Ghost up and down, in and out of the line up. Thompson and Grant out for the last minute of a game? What.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I don't think it's the ripple effect, it's the JVR effect.
He's deep in the doghouse, an offensive player who doesn't score and doesn't skate hard and doesn't contribute on the PK is going to be the first to sit.
To be fair to JVR, he needs a center to be effective, and Laughton is scary right now.
But compare to Voracek in the bubble and it's night and day, even when Voracek is struggling to score, he's working out there.

Voracek is a better player than JVR and can create more by himself, particularly off the rush. One of the biggest issues these last 7 games has been breakouts. So, a player who isn't good in transition obviously suffers.

JVR's most common linemates these playoffs are NAK, Grant, Thompson (the last one singlehandedly chunked 2 goals off his passes). To be fair, his numbers with NAK, Grant, and Pitlick have actually been fine. He's not perfect and he has his floating games, but you're not getting scoring talent out of those players. So, JVR takes the blame and shuffles in and out losing confidence. For a team incapable of scoring, benching your good ES scorer, who overall paced for 24 goals and 50 points, for low expectation plugs and try hards never will make sense to me.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Voracek is a better player than JVR and can create more by himself, particularly off the rush. One of the biggest issues these last 7 games has been breakouts. So, a player who isn't good in transition obviously suffers.

JVR's most common linemates these playoffs are NAK, Grant, Thompson (the last one singlehandedly chunked 2 goals off his passes). To be fair, his numbers with NAK, Grant, and Pitlick have actually been fine. He's not perfect and he has his floating games, but you're not getting scoring talent out of those players. So, JVR takes the blame and shuffles in and out losing confidence. For a team incapable of scoring, benching your player who paced for 24 goals and 50 points for low expectation plugs and try hards -- including a total disaster right now in Laughton -- never will make sense to me.

I'll be totally bewildered but not surprised if they yank Ghost. Definitely the best d-zone to netural zone passer on the team. I like how he gets all the blame for his shooting but Braun being his partner has nothing to do with it. The guy whose 5 goals in a season is his personal best. If i'm cheating on the ice it'll damn be on the side where Ghost is when closing up shooting lanes.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

JVR's most common linemates these playoffs are NAK, Grant, Thompson (the last one singlehandedly chunked 2 goals off his passes). To be fair, his numbers with NAK, Grant, and Pitlick have actually been fine. He's not perfect and he has his floating games, but you're not getting scoring talent out of those players. So, JVR takes the blame and shuffles in and out losing confidence. For a team incapable of scoring, benching your good ES scorer, who overall paced for 24 goals and 50 points, for low expectation plugs and try hards never will make sense to me.

I'm imagining Vigneault having a conversation with JVR in the locker room saying "if you cant handle my lines at their worst, you dont deserve them at their best!" and walking away.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
I'm imagining Vigneault having a conversation with JVR in the locker room saying "if you cant handle my lines at their worst, you dont deserve them at their best!" and walking away.

It’s not even just handling the lines AV is giving jvr.. it’s the minutes. The guy played like 10-11 minutes and 1-3 of that is pp time. The guy is being utilized as the 12th forward on this team in the playoffs. Thompson should see 4 minutes at EV and the rest on the pk

I have no idea why AV doesn’t use Thompson how he uses giroux on the FO. Just take the faceoff and get tf off. No point in keeping him on for the rest of the shift

Reactions: dingbathero

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
If we’re talking cops shows, I’m coming with Walker Texas Ranger. :laugh:

I'll do you one better: "Eagleheart"

tumblr_li50umJRFt1qz5d8go1_500.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

JVR played much better during the regular season, not just scoring, but playing more of a two way game, he didn't bring that game to the bubble.

Voracek on the other hand, hasn't let his ES scoring drought interfere with his play, he's going to the crease harder than I've ever seen and backchecking consistently. He just seems more dedicated this year, whether it's AV or maturity or both.

Reactions: onlylordsvsmorebp

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
Have you not been watching him execute tons of good plays for other guys who do nothing with them?

What exactly is the expectation of 32 year old Giroux here, that he be a generational player?
Nah, I would expect him to perform at or near the level of other players his age and older. Is it really too much to ask? Should probably take a look at playoff stats for players 32 and over from this playoffs so far.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Most goals actually come off of the transition game, which is driven by possession players with skill and some magnitude of speed

Try again, Gretz

You'd think this would be obvious by now. Garbage goals help but transition goals when the ice is opened up the most is going to be your best chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad