Post-Game Talk: ECSF 1 | FLYERS (0) vs. Islanders (4) | Monday, Aug. 24, 2020

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Are people actually saying they need to get rid of coots/G/Voracek? Or are they only saying they need to be better.

Legit question, I haven't read most of this thread.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Actually Couts is awful now and we need to get rid of all our choke artist top forwards.

No goals = no good

I mean Couts has been awful in a few games when compared to his normal lofty standard. You can both believe that and understand he is the key to the Flyers the next 5 years.

Couts is great, I see no flaws in the roster. The cup should be a lock.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I mean Couts has been awful in a few games when compared to his normal lofty standard. You can both believe that and understand he is the key to the Flyers the next 5 years.

Huh? I was told we should move on him from, because why give an 8 year contract to a 29 year old? Thats bad business. Let him walk. Frost should ahve 5 games of experience by then. Enough to be an impact player.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Nope, that's not how this works. He's a certified playoff choker now. Replaced by Thompson as our best C.

We'll be lucky if we can get a 5th round pick for him.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
Game before we acquired them:

G - Couts - Voracek
Farabee - Hayes - TK
JVR - Laughton - Pitlick
Raffl - Bunnaman - NAK

So basically they've replaced JVR and Bunnaman in the playoffs.
Since JVR is playing like he's out of shape, not much of a loss.
CF 40.96%, xGF 33.26%, HDCF/CA 1/6 in the Montreal series
And while I like Bunnaman, when he's had a chance to play, he looks like a rookie in his first playoff series.

Top playoff teams have depth b/c they develop and trade for it,
NYI added Pageau (1st and 2nd), Komarov (4yr/$12M), Martin ($2.5M cap hit), Brassard, Kuhnhackl, Johnston to their bottom six since Trotz arrived.
Vegas added Chandler Stephenson (5th), Roy (Haula), Cousins (4th), Reaves (Lindberg) to their bottom six.
Bruins: Ritchie (Heinin), Lindholm/Kuhlman (college FA), Wagner, Kuraly, Nordstrom, Bjork
TB: Guorde, Goodrow (& 3rd for Greco & 1st), T Johnson, Maroon, Stephens, Paquette
Col: Compher, Burakovsky ($3.25M, 2nd & 3rd), Donskoi (4yr/$15.6M), Jost, PEB (2yr/$3.6M), Nieto

Note that Vegas depth is due to trading for Stone and Pacioretty, pushing players down, same with TB trading for Coleman, and Colorado trading for Kadri.

This wasn't the year for Fletcher to trade serious assets at the TDL, going into the playoffs with an unproven rookie goaltender.

That lineup is an instant upgrade to the one we have been using.

Thompson and Grant look way worse than Bunnaman.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
If we’re talking cops shows, I’m coming with Walker Texas Ranger. :laugh:

tenor.gif

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Game before we acquired them:

G - Couts - Voracek
Farabee - Hayes - TK
JVR - Laughton - Pitlick
Raffl - Bunnaman - NAK

maybe this team is still struggling to score with this lineup, but there is no way in hell they are getting caved in with the bottom 6 in our own zone. Yes JVR has struggled and Laughton has been gross the last 5 playoff games but their skating alone would help.
At this point why not throw Frost in there. Captain Bill’s excuse of “setting him up to fail” is a load of horseshit. What do you have to lose when you are barely averaging 1.5 goals a game in the last 7.

Hanover Fist

Aug 22, 2018
1313 Mockingbird Lane
Roo-Coots-Konecny
Jvr-Hayes-Vorachek
Farabee-Frost-NAK
Raffl-Grant-Pitlick
Laughton needs to sit he’s been horrid.
If Frost is overwhelmed you can slide him back to the fourth line. Raffl and Pitlick are good on the d side of the game.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Why are people being so willfully obtuse?

ImperturbableColdHapuka-size_restricted.gif

1) The Montreal series was flat out a bad coaching series -- tactically, usage, etc. This series? We'll see. Some bad, then maybe a little good last night.

2) The top players need to produce more and lead the way (that 0/27 PP was a big culprit -- and Michel wasn't blameless). What are you going to do: bench them? You just hope they execute better because they can. At the same time, assists DO count, and Giroux/Couturier/Voracek were on the ice for almost every goal for. And the Couturier line especially was the only one that even had chances on the regular. Encouraging night from Hayes+TK last game though.

3) Players like Voracek, Couturier, and Giroux have still been on the ice for 5v5 goal differentials of 3-1, 3-3, and 3-4 respectively. How can someone like Thompson being on the ice for 0 GF and 4 GA not be a problem when he poses no upside and he gets thrashed in possession? Instead, he's being used more than ever and only 1-1.5 minutes less per game 5v5 than Voracek, Couturier, Giroux -- and the ripple effect causes players like 30 goal scorer JVR to sit. The reason playoff teams trade for depth is so those players CAN impact games positively and be difference makers some nights. Difference making indeed.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
People are being willfully obtuse because it deflects blame from the staff.

If everything is the players fault, then we can keep saying that the staff playing Hagg or Thompson or Grant or benching Ghost or benching JVR or ruining the PP or putting Giroux/Voracek on the 4th line or any of their other horrible mistakes aren't what cost us the series.

Like I said, it is actually possible to say both "they're playing well and it's not all their fault" AND "we need that good play to result in more goals". It's really not complicated. We don't need to make up these stupid narratives about them not being good enough or act like a lack of goals is proof of poor play. We know that's not true.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

ImperturbableColdHapuka-size_restricted.gif

1) The Montreal series was flat out a bad coaching series -- tactically, usage, etc. This series? We'll see. Some bad, then maybe a little good last night.

2) The top players need to produce more and lead the way (that 0/27 PP was a big culprit -- and Michel wasn't blameless). What are you going to do: bench them? You just hope they execute better because they can. At the same time, assists DO count, and Giroux/Couturier/Voracek were on the ice for almost every goal for. And the Couturier line especially was the only one that even had chances on the regular. Encouraging night from Hayes+TK last game though.

3) Players like Voracek, Couturier, and Giroux have still been on the ice for 5v5 goal differentials of 3-1, 3-3, and 3-4 respectively. How can someone like Thompson being on the ice for 0 GF and 4 GA not be a problem when he poses no upside and he gets thrashed in possession? Instead, he's being used more than ever and only 1-1.5 minutes less per game 5v5 than Voracek, Couturier, Giroux -- and the ripple effect causes players like 30 goal scorer JVR to sit. The reason playoff teams trade for depth is so those players CAN impact games positively and be difference makers some nights. Difference making indeed.

Because its only 8 mins a night, and if our best guys cant outplay not only our opponents, but also our own bottom players, its their fault.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

I don't think it's the ripple effect, it's the JVR effect.
He's deep in the doghouse, an offensive player who doesn't score and doesn't skate hard and doesn't contribute on the PK is going to be the first to sit.
To be fair to JVR, he needs a center to be effective, and Laughton is scary right now.
But compare to Voracek in the bubble and it's night and day, even when Voracek is struggling to score, he's working out there.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
this really does suck though. I really wish we had patrick/lindlom. This would've been the year. Avs might go out, tampa might as well...easiest chance to go to the ecf for sure. I hope AV gets his head out of his ass. We still can make a nice run and hopefully get lindblom back in the 3rd round

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
well we all know that the pp will for sure not score next game. I can't believe they went back to giroux/voracek on their off side...did they not realize that unit gave us a cold streak?

I guess they think a cold streak+another cold streak= hot streak? --> AV logic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad