Post-Game Talk: | ECQF Game #I Pens up 1 to 0 | Win | Geno "I'm a god — I'm not the God, I don't think."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Even with your parameters I don't believe this is true- check out his skates, he intended to turn before he got major contact by Dumo.

Kakko is attempting to make the same move that Kreider made on the shorthanded goal- they have scouted CDS and that's the maneuver to make, not bowl him over for some odd reason

Just because he's trying to make a different move before contact with Dumoulin happens doesn't mean he's trying to avoid contact with DeSmith once that contact happens. I don't believe Kakko's prior intention is at all material to the "reasonable attempt" part of the rule for goaltender interference.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Eh, Dumo kinda makes contact and rides his hip/back into the crease. Again, it's borderline, I just personally think Kakko had no real ability to avoid him. I've been in Kakko's situation before and it's just really not possible to dramatically alter your course while you're working your edge like that with a dude draped over your hip.

But again, f*** the Rangers. We'll take what we can get. :laugh:

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
No, play is generally allowed to continue bc the refs originally believed a penalty was not warranted bc Dumo caused the contact

I know this post is by NYR fan, but here are a ton of video angles here

While the attacking player does graze CDS' head and bump him a bit, it is Dumo who REALLY pushes CDS well out to the side of the net.

Again if Dumo magically isn't there, I don't think there's much contact. I mean why would a player want to move CLOSER to the goalie and potentially risk getting his stick tangled in their equipment/blowing the scoring chance?

I think the original poster/tweeter needs to get a life if he watched that 50 times.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Rangers fans are really out here believing that they deserved to win that game. I guess they have just gotten use to getting steamrolled and still winning- hopefully they’re in for a rude awakening.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Rangers fans are really out here believing that they deserved to win that game. I guess they have just gotten use to getting steamrolled and still winning- hopefully they’re in for a rude awakening.

Rangers fans may have the most undeserved entitlement of any fanbase in hockey. It's hilarious.

I don't even think Leafs fans have the sense of entitlement that Rangers fans have.

Reactions: Darren McCord

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Kakko didn't run DeSmith over, but he did have contact with him and push him. It was Dumo that ran him over.

However, the 2nd doesn't preclude the first, meaning you can't say "well Dumo bowled him over anyways so Kakko's obstruction doesn't count".
The overhead replay says you're wrong. Dumo helped, no doubt, but it's not like Kakko made zero contact.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Rangers fans may have the most undeserved entitlement of any fanbase in hockey. It's hilarious.

I don't even think Leafs fans have the sense of entitlement that Rangers fans have.
It's an awful lot to sift through after just one game too.

"That's not a elbow to the head! It's a good hard hockey play! Shouldn't have been 2 min! It was clean"
"There were so many uncalled cross-checks! The refs favored the Penguins all night!"
"Kakko should be able to plow CDS with impunity if it means we score late in the third!"

This is usually what you see later in a series or playoffs. After one game...lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Sidgeni Malkby

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
The overhead replay says you're wrong. Dumo helped, no doubt, but it's not like Kakko made zero contact.

Never said Kakko made zero contact, but he bumped and clipped DeSmith. He managed to avoid most of DeSmith, while Dumo literally ran him over.

If Dumo wasn't there, DeSmith wouldn't have slid 5 feet passed the net.

See attached picture.

Again this doesn't excuse Kakko interfering with the goalie, just because Dumo also ran into him.

"That's not a elbow to the head! It's a good hard hockey play! Shouldn't have been 2 min! It was clean"
"There were so many uncalled cross-checks! The refs favored the Penguins all night!"
"Kakko should be able to plow CDS with impunity if it means we score late in the third!"

This is usually what you see later in a series or playoffs. After one game...lol.
I agree with this.

Everywhere I read Rangers fans comments, there are a disproportionate amount of conspiracy theorists.

It's insane!

Attachments

• rangers 2.JPG
    rangers 2.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

I unfortunately had to watch the Rangers broadcast.

They showed Guentzel pushing Miller's helmet so it went over his eyes and Miller looking around for a penalty. The color guy said that was just playoff hockey and the PBP guy mocked him and said "Yeah, ok". Elbowing a guy in the head, playoff hockey. Lightly rearranging a helmet, the outrage! Reminded me of when Sid threw that water bottle on the ice and NBC spent the whole intermission talking about that instead of the guy that got rammed into the boards head first.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I unfortunately had to watch the Rangers broadcast.

They showed Guentzel pushing Miller's helmet so it went over his eyes and Miller looking around for a penalty. The color guy said that was just playoff hockey and the PBP guy mocked him and said "Yeah, ok". Elbowing a guy in the head, playoff hockey. Lightly rearranging a helmet, the outrage! Reminded me of when Sid threw that water bottle on the ice and NBC spent the whole intermission talking about that instead of the guy that got rammed into the boards head first.

How dare they not call the penalties we want!

Anyway back to maiming players with "hockey plays."

Reactions: pistolpete11

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
While the attacking player does graze CDS' head and bump him a bit, it is Dumo who REALLY pushes CDS well out to the side of the net.

Again if Dumo magically isn't there, I don't think there's much contact. I mean why would a player want to move CLOSER to the goalie and potentially risk getting his stick tangled in their equipment/blowing the scoring chance?

Kakkos right leg takes DeSmith out of without Dumo. Dumo has to be allow to play his position too. You can't just say a player got between us, I guess I can't engage.

Also the crease is the goalies area. You can go in it but they need to be allowed to play the whole area. Kakko was going into the crease no matter what. Casey coming up to challenge is why there was contact, but he has a right too.

Players love driving the net into the goalie. You honestly think Horny has the hands to make a move in tight? He 1000% would rather get tangled up and score a garbage goal. Players do it all the time hoping. Just look at Krieder too.

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
The Rangers in 2015 were actually a good team, or rather they were on the tail end of being a good team.

People thought the Rangers were never able to win a cup in the 2010-2015 window because they lacked a true 1C and top end offensive talent to win, but their depth was stacked and it caused them to be one of the top teams in the East. This Rangers team is the exact opposite, they have the top end talent but nothing beyond it.
I'd argue the only thing this roster lacks from being an actual cup contender is grizzled experience. Which I hope they can attain from these games. They have a hell of a lot more depth than the 2020 bubble team that's for sure.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The problem with goalie interference is the lack of consistency. So fans are going to see what they want to see. We also know that refs ref the game based on the score. If that happens in the 1st period, maybe they let it go. 3min left in a tie game? Tough to decide a game on such a close call. That's not right, but that's the reality.

Personally, the way I'd like it to be called similar to a high stick. You don't have to keep your stick down, but you're responsible for what happens after that. You can go in the crease, but you're responsible for what happens after that. In my view, Kakko was going into the crease with or without the contact from Dumo, he made contact with the goalie, so no goal. Does he make contact with CDS without the contact? That's a much grayer area, but that's why it's a no goal and not a no goal AND penalty on Kakko.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
The problem with goalie interference is the lack of consistency. So fans are going to see what they want to see. We also know that refs ref the game based on the score. If that happens in the 1st period, maybe they let it go. 3min left in a tie game? Tough to decide a game on such a close call. That's not right, but that's the reality.

Personally, the way I'd like it to be called similar to a high stick. You don't have to keep your stick down, but you're responsible for what happens after that. You can go in the crease, but you're responsible for what happens after that. In my view, Kakko was going into the crease with or without the contact from Dumo, he made contact with the goalie, so no goal. Does he make contact with CDS without the contact? That's a much grayer area, but that's why it's a no goal and not a no goal AND penalty on Kakko.

Yeah. I mean whatever the rules are aside, a goal like that if it had counted would be more "unnatural" to me than even a kicking motion goal.

...But also I think the kicking motion rule is BS soooooooo

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah. I mean whatever the rules are aside, a goal like that if it had counted would be more "unnatural" to me than even a kicking motion goal.

...But also I think the kicking motion rule is BS soooooooo

Well yeah you can't just completely blast into a goaltender leaving nothing in the net for an easy tap in. This isn't Mutant League Hockey. Though I often wonder.

You'd have every forward taking the puck to the net with pressure on him strategically wiping out at just the right time to plow into the netminder if that were the case.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Well yeah you can't just completely blast into a goaltender leaving nothing in the net for an easy tap in. This isn't Mutant League Hockey. Though I often wonder.

You'd have every forward taking the puck to the net with pressure on him strategically wiping out at just the right time to plow into the netminder if that were the case.

Exactly. It's like the shooting motion thing in basketball or the idea or just chucking up deep balls hoping for Pass Interference. It isn't in the spirit of the rules. To stop a goalie from playing his position but getting away with it because another player was involved in the play...it's too easy IMO.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Exactly. It's like the shooting motion thing in basketball or the idea or just chucking up deep balls hoping for Pass Interference. It isn't in the spirit of the rules. To stop a goalie from playing his position but getting away with it because another player was involved in the play...it's too easy IMO.

Ugh. That's the worst. A big reason I stopped watching the sport, honestly.

But yeah I mean... this time of year especially you do what you need to do to put one on the board. We'd have guys all over the league who are known to be rock solid skaters suddenly blowing tires straight into the net left and right on the rush the minute the defender touches them. You know it.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Ugh. That's the worst. A big reason I stopped watching the sport, honestly.

But yeah I mean... this time of year especially you do what you need to do to put one on the board. We'd have guys all over the league who are known to be rock solid skaters suddenly blowing tires straight into the net left and right on the rush the minute the defender touches them. You know it.

Well the Red Wings took it to another level in the 2009 SCF by literally every forward JUMPING on MAF after his save. It was comical and I'm not being hyperbolic

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Well the Red Wings took it to another level in the 2009 SCF by literally every forward JUMPING on MAF after his save. It was comical and I'm not being hyperbolic

Oh no doubt. Not just that series, either. It's why I just shrug stuff like this off... turnabout is fair play at this point and the play in question wasn't even super egregious. I've watched this team's goaltender get blasted into so many times... not to mention the sheer abuse the star players take... that I can't be bothered to be mad about it. f*** 'em.

But yeah... the Wings had Horns 1.0 in Holmstrom so I guess stuff like that was to be expected haha

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I think the Kakko goal should've counted, tbh. Dumo may not have chucked the dude into CDS, but I think it's pretty clear he prevented any chance at avoiding contact.

It's whatever though. It was a borderline call that could've gone either way. You can't win in the playoffs without some luck. Got away with one there, imo--just like the Rangers got away with not losing Lindgren to a game misconduct.
I dunno. This is like blaming the 3rd car in a 3-car pile up for the first accident. Kakko is responsible for his body. Dumo didn’t create his chosen course and trajectory.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Plus at this point if you're Kakko you gotta try to do SOMETHING out there.

I'm gonna pay for that one, I bet.

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
Impressed with De Smith and Louis last night, Louis coming in cold stood tall right of the jump! Great game congrats from a die-hard Habs fan.

Reactions: Pengwins
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad