Post-Game Talk: | ECQF Game #I Pens up 1 to 0 | Win | Geno "I'm a god — I'm not the God, I don't think."

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Once the first OT ended I was like "why am I doing this to myself I know how this ends."

Glad to be wrong. Was definitely having Keith Primeau flashbacks until Malkin finished it.

Also... hey buddy... how ya been?

I don't think the word is really out yet how much he's slipped. So I agree.
Doing as well as one can teaching a bunch of Slavs during a hot war on the doorstep. Thank god the semester's almost over. 😆

Hell, as every year, I hope against hope that Sullivan and this team make us all eat our words. Nothing would be sweeter!

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Doing as well as one can teaching a bunch of Slavs during a hot war on the doorstep. Thank god the semester's almost over. 😆

Yeah that has to be a lot of stress. It's bad enough over here I can only imagine over there.

Stay safe and keep a lot of pilsners on hand.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I'm still pessimistic with this team's chances, but the Rangers are actually just a bad team with a stellar goalie. The Penguins can win this series because the team they're playing isn't that good of a team.

I've never seen anyone change their opinion every week like you do. Yesterday it was 3-4 times

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm still pessimistic with this team's chances, but the Rangers are actually just a bad team with a stellar goalie. The Penguins can win this series because the team they're playing isn't that good of a team.

I tend to agree and thought as much going in.

I'm just reluctant to say it out loud haha

EDIT: They have some players, no doubt. But so does every team at this stage of the game. They will still take the Pens the distance, here. But this "lol Rangers in five if the Pens are lucky" stuff is just garbage. And once again... I hope everyone in the room knows that's what the fans all think.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
this belief of "they're just that team with the goalie" really needs to be put to bed. This isn't 2015 anymore

Rangers had some bad 5 v 5 numbers this year. They've been tremendous on the PP and they scream "PDO darling" bc of Igor.

Those types of teams tend not to fare well in the playoffs.
Sure they likely will beat the Pens, but I believe the 2nd round is going be a whimper for them.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
I'm glad they got the win, but I think it's evident of how we lack physicality.

Say what you will about the hit on Rakell, but the Rangers were manhandling us all night physically and that definitely doesn't transfer well in a 7 game series.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm glad they got the win, but I think it's evident of how we lack physicality.

Say what you will about the hit on Rakell, but the Rangers were manhandling us all night physically and that definitely doesn't transfer well in a 7 game series.

Depends. They can't keep losing bodies but I think there is a non-zero chance NY gassed itself running around early in the game trying to prove some Torts-inspired point.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
If we're going with "preponderance of the evidence standard" to me this goal should stand.

Pause it at the :05 mark- the attacker is already pulling up in an attempt to go AROUND CDS. His skates are already turning to prepare to make the maneuver.

Think of it like this: if Dumo wasn't there would he be crashing into CDS?
To me the answer is no...he's left himself plenty of runway but Dumo wiped him out
~1:09 you can see kakko shifts his right leg out wide. technically, you're right - if dumo isn't there, he prob pulls up way earlier, and CDS gets a super easy save. but he collides w CDS, and the rest is history. now if kakko's shot goes in, then yeah it should be a good goal. but isolating the incident (ignoring the goal), shouldn't the play have been blown dead after CDS gets knocked over?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
After the last few years and considering the league's clownshow officiating has boned the Penguins plenty of times in the past... I'm not feeling particularly charitable when it comes to the "validity" of goals like the above in question. There is plenty there to make it a 50/50 flip... best case. I personally thought it was pretty clear but my bias is obvious.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think the Kakko goal should've counted, tbh. Dumo may not have chucked the dude into CDS, but I think it's pretty clear he prevented any chance at avoiding contact.

It's whatever though. It was a borderline call that could've gone either way. You can't win in the playoffs without some luck. Got away with one there, imo--just like the Rangers got away with not losing Lindgren to a game misconduct.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The question isn't whether Kakko would have hit CdS if it wasn't for Dumo, the question is whether he made a reasonable attempt to avoid hitting CdS despite Dumo, and to me that seems an easy no. He skated through the blue paint under his own steam. He wasn't pushed or wrestled into him. Dumo didn't give him a lot of options but he wasn't fighting to avoid it.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
~1:09 you can see kakko shifts his right leg out wide. technically, you're right - if dumo isn't there, he prob pulls up way earlier, and CDS gets a super easy save. but he collides w CDS, and the rest is history. now if kakko's shot goes in, then yeah it should be a good goal. but isolating the incident (ignoring the goal), shouldn't the play have been blown dead after CDS gets knocked over?

No, play is generally allowed to continue bc the refs originally believed a penalty was not warranted bc Dumo caused the contact

I know this post is by NYR fan, but here are a ton of video angles here

While the attacking player does graze CDS' head and bump him a bit, it is Dumo who REALLY pushes CDS well out to the side of the net.

Again if Dumo magically isn't there, I don't think there's much contact. I mean why would a player want to move CLOSER to the goalie and potentially risk getting his stick tangled in their equipment/blowing the scoring chance?

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ

Kakko didn't run DeSmith over, but he did have contact with him and push him. It was Dumo that ran him over.

However, the 2nd doesn't preclude the first, meaning you can't say "well Dumo bowled him over anyways so Kakko's obstruction doesn't count".

Reactions: Peat

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The question isn't whether Kakko would have hit CdS if it wasn't for Dumo, the question is whether he made a reasonable attempt to avoid hitting CdS despite Dumo, and to me that seems an easy no. He skated through the blue paint under his own steam. He wasn't pushed or wrestled into him. Dumo didn't give him a lot of options but he wasn't fighting to avoid it.

100% this.

The play resulted in the goaltender being wiped out. I don't know why people are trying to cut this so fine but I don't know that I'd even be THAT mad if that were a Penguins goal called back.

Reactions: Peat

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Dumo is allowed to play/defend against Kakko. It's incumbent upon Kakko to avoid the contact. He didn't. It is what it is for the Rangers. You can't mow over the goal and shoot it into a wide open net to win the game. That said, after that goal was called back, they had nearly an entire game to score again. They didn't.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

Even with your parameters I don't believe this is true- check out his skates, he intended to turn before he got major contact by Dumo.

Kakko is attempting to make the same move that Kreider made on the shorthanded goal- they have scouted CDS and that's the maneuver to make, not bowl him over for some odd reason

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
If you wanted to win so bad why not just score a goal on freaking Louis Domingue

Hahaha plus also this... there was a whole game+ to go after that.

Maybe score with one of your supposed dominant "OMG gonna wreck your whole team in four" players?

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I think the Kakko goal should've counted, tbh. Dumo may not have chucked the dude into CDS, but I think it's pretty clear he prevented any chance at avoiding contact.

It's whatever though. It was a borderline call that could've gone either way. You can't win in the playoffs without some luck. Got away with one there, imo--just like the Rangers got away with not losing Lindgren to a game misconduct.

And that's how I feel about this game: the goal should have counted, but they should have tossed Lindgren out of in the first period.

These things even out. We got screwed by the refs and we got the benefit in 1 game.

end of the day, those goalie interference goals aren't that common, and are always subject to controversy and subjectivity

frustrates the hell out of everyone

Pretty much sums it up

Reactions: OmNomNom

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
this belief of "they're just that team with the goalie" really needs to be put to bed. This isn't 2015 anymore

The Rangers in 2015 were actually a good team, or rather they were on the tail end of being a good team.

People thought the Rangers were never able to win a cup in the 2010-2015 window because they lacked a true 1C and top end offensive talent to win, but their depth was stacked and it caused them to be one of the top teams in the East. This Rangers team is the exact opposite, they have the top end talent but nothing beyond it.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Say what you want about the no-goal call. The simple fact is that the Rangers were badly outplayed for 80% of the game. If not for Shesterkin, the Rangers are blown out of the game by the end of the second period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille