Post-Game Talk: ECQF GAME 6 - Season on the brink - We got trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

nasero

Oct 2, 2010
New Hampshire
While I think yes, we need to play or should have played Swayman already.

This is still on the rest of the roster. They're playing scared, and letting themselves get pushed around. They're letting Florida's forecheck take them out of their own game by being bullied and not responding.

All the grit we added and we're little kittens when Florida figures out how to get in our heads.

Reactions: ProdigalFan

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Imagine what Don Sweeney must be feeling right now. He gave this team literally everything, went over the top to cover for all weaknesses, and they come out and perform like this on him.

The natural human instinct is to want someone to fall on the sword and be the sacrificial lamb to collect all the fanbase's grievances and be shipped out or fired in an act of catharsis, but that's just not how things work anymore. Harry Sinden would be packing up players' equipment to throw in the hallway right now, but nothing of the sort happens now.

Your core pieces have recently been locked up to long-term deals. You're not firing a coach after a 65 win season one year into his deal. And you're likely losing your top two centers to retirement anyway. So you're not going to have any opportunity for a franchise-altering trade of superstars like the Flames and Panthers did last year. Marchand is the only guy in that level that theoretically could be moved but he has been possibly your best forward here so you can't throw it at his feet and I don't think they do that. So if we lose, as much as we want blood to flow (metaphorically speaking), nothing really is going to happen that wasn't already going to happen. You're going to be forced to shed a couple contracts, most likely Gryz and Hall, one of the goalies, integrate some prospects into the lineup, and take a dramatic step back in the standings. It's a sad reality staring us in the face and is going to be a miserable summer.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Imagine what Don Sweeney must be feeling right now. He gave this team literally everything, went over the top to cover for all weaknesses, and they come out and perform like this on him.

The natural human instinct is to want someone to fall on the sword and be the sacrificial lamb to collect all the fanbase's grievances and be shipped out or fired in an act of catharsis, but that's just not how things work anymore. Harry Sinden would be packing up players' equipment to throw in the hallway right now, but nothing of the sort happens now.

Your core pieces have recently been locked up to long-term deals. You're not firing a coach after a 65 win season one year into his deal. And you're likely losing your top two centers to retirement anyway. So you're not going to have any opportunity for a franchise-altering trade of superstars like the Flames and Panthers did last year. Marchand is the only guy in that level that theoretically could be moved but he has been possibly your best forward here so you can't throw it at his feet and I don't think they do that. So if we lose, as much as we want blood to flow (metaphorically speaking), nothing really is going to happen that wasn't already going to happen. You're going to be forced to shed a couple contracts, most likely Gryz and Hall, one of the goalies, integrate some prospects into the lineup, and take a dramatic step back in the standings. It's a sad reality staring us in the face and is going to be a miserable summer.
President Neely and GM Don Sweeney have taken over that dressing room I just know it . A slap on the face on Monty and deservedly so.

ProdigalFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 2, 2011
Mansfield, MA

I think this is why it hurts so much. We have talked since 2012 of the "window closing" but after this season, that window is truly and finally shut, after management did everything it could to put together a winning team. Unfortunately, it was only a regular season winning team.

Reactions: Bs1011

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
I think this is why it hurts so much. We have talked since 2012 of the "window closing" but after this season, that window is truly and finally shut, after management did everything it could to put together a winning team. Unfortunately, it was only a regular season winning team.
Bound to happen when you build around 40 year olds.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
It's not going to matter who is in net if they don't start clearing the front and keeping the Florida players outside.
There was a lot of emphasis all season on a mobile D moving the pucks up ice, joining the attack to increase the offense. Seems like having the D play some D is what we really need more than anything else.
How do you go into the playoffs with a top 4 of McAvoy, Lindholm, Orlov and Carlo and still suck? Only the Bruins can pull that off.

Hathaway hasn't been himself since Tkachuk cross checked him. Clearly bruised/injured. How is a hobbled Hathaway better than a healthy Frederic??? Makes no sense.

Montgomery didn't face much adversity all year and didn't have to earn his money in many ways. Now he does, and so far doesn't seem up to the task. Teams that beat us (Seattle, Ottawa, etc.) did it with speed and an aggressive forecheck. We clearly have never stopped to work on playing against that obvious flaw, or maybe we are just incapable.
This… and also start dumping the puck and making them play in their own end a bit, especially our third and fourth lines, but even our top lines. Go hard and put some pressure on. Stay above the puck and your guy to check. Zone entries by skating it in or cross ice passes aren’t what they are cracked up to be, especially if the other team hangs back in center ice, and won’t play the zone entry game along with you, thus very little counter attacking for us and plenty for them.

Last edited:

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
While I think yes, we need to play or should have played Swayman already.

This is still on the rest of the roster. They're playing scared, and letting themselves get pushed around. They're letting Florida's forecheck take them out of their own game by being bullied and not responding.

All the grit we added and we're little kittens when Florida figures out how to get in our heads.
Every shot goes in net on Ullmark its deflating.Swayman deserves a shot now

You don’t have to. Put Grizz back on the top pair and drop Orlov down to play with Forbort. Problem solved.
This is smart play yip

bruinshoper

Sponsor
Jan 20, 2011

Great post. This is a huge reason that I desperately hope the boys pull out the win tomorrow. This is the first time since being a fan that I’ve ever seen a Bruins GM really push all the chips in …. And he absolutely NAILED IT. what a colossal disappointment it would be to lose in the first round….and if they lose, it makes me wonder how palatable it will be for our GM to “go all in” in the future…

Reactions: Bs1011

Bs1011

May 27, 2019
Great post. This is a huge reason that I desperately hope the boys pull out the win tomorrow. This is the first time since being a fan that I’ve ever seen a Bruins GM really push all the chips in …. And he absolutely NAILED IT. what a colossal disappointment it would be to lose in the first round….and if they lose, it makes me wonder how palatable it will be for our GM to “go all in” in the future…
Yes First time he got everything we needed. Grit Hathaway grit and offense Bert and Orlov D all great additions no washed up players. The problem is he did 4 years too late.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
100%. By the end of game six I expected every chance the Panthers got to go in. And they did.
Yep me too .....it's definitely time for a goaltender swap (maybe a game too late)

..and what bugs me about Ullmark (besides his poor play) is how he talks so cocky after a loss "the sun will come out tomorrow"

WTF does that have to do with shitty goaltending Linus??

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
Yep me too .....it's definitely time for a goaltender swap (maybe a game too late)

..and what bugs me about Ullmark (besides his poor play) is how he talks so cocky after a loss "the sun will come out tomorrow"

Literally word for word Tuukka Rask postgames after bad losses.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
only thing I am worried about with Swayman is his rebound control. It’s been a problem with him at times which is why I think they went with Ullmark, however his rebound control this series has also been abysmal too.

With how Florida plays offense boxing out is going to be huge next game

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire

Yep. I said it earlier, but I'll repeat it; if your response is like "you win some, you lose some" and "the sun will still come up tomorrow", you probably aren't wired to win the Stanley Cup.

Bs1011

May 27, 2019
Literally word for word Tuukka Rask postgames after bad losses.
Milk crates was a competitor. He shat the bed but he carried them to game seven in finals it’s a shame he never could get that win. Linus not so much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad