Post-Game Talk: ECQF GAME 1 - No reason to panic yet but there are concerns - Whalercanes 5 BRUINS 1

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
It’s not even like it’s a cry. Nobody is saying Ullmark was terrible or that the loss is on him.

But he was handily outplayed by the opponent’s counterpart. And that can’t stick if the Bruins hope to win this series. We’ve seen the rotation all season long… I don’t understand why it’s such an objectionable concept.

BourqueFromORRk4277

formerly POPNDOUGH
Mar 25, 2010
Somerville MA
I know don’t shoot the messenger. Torey Krug 3 assists Matt Gryzlek -3. Don Sweeney is a horrible judge of talent . He could have paid Torey and not signed let’s say Reilly Backes Foligno Balesky and on on and on.
Did you watch the game? He didn't do anything that Mac, Lindholm, Reilly, or Gryz haven't done hundreds of times. He made a pedestrian pass to Perron/O'Reilly and they made great plays to score 2 goals, and the 3rd assist came when the Blues positioned Krug down below the faceoff dots on the powerplay, and while being completely wide open(Minnie's D was atrocious), his nearly point blank shot was saved, and the Blues scored on the rebound. Gryz could do that easily if he was told to completely forget about any defensive responsibility.

Enjoy a much worse turnover than the one Gryz is being crucified for, but since the goalie made the save on the resultant breakaway, nothing to see here:

After watching the game again this afternoon, I really have to say Gryz was our best defenseman last night. He made numerous excellent defensive plays, and was really good at retrieving the puck, and getting it headed up ice before the forecheck could pin them in the zone. He also made a bunch of very good pinches to keep the puck in the offensive zone.

The McAvoy-Lindholm pairing really seemed to have the hardest time with the Cane's forecheck, turning the puck over, and giving up the best scoring chances.

At one point, I think it was at the end of the first, Ullmark flubbed a clearing attempt, and McAvoy got bodied off the puck around the faceoff dot, turning the puck over to another Cane, and Gryz saved their bacon by getting over, and deflecting the puck out of play.

As for the "-3" , the only goal that was partially his fault was the 3rd one, when a spinning puck on it's edge rolled up over his skate on a pinch. There were numerous failed pinches on both sides during the game, but most didn't lead to goals because a forward came back to back up the pinching Dman.
On the play, Coyle lost his man, Trocheck, who beat him down the ice, who made an amazing pass, followed by an amazing shot.

Anyways, on to game 2.

MaineHockey1

Always watching!
Nov 13, 2007
Somewhere!
Thinking it’s done in one game is like Toronto fans planning their Cup route after one win over Tampa! It’s game one and it takes one good goal to change the momentum! If someone told me that the Bs would win the Cup in 2011 I would’ve thought they were crazy.

Last edited:

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Its looking at things like a rational person rather than looking at them like a FANatic.
I guess if hoping they can do something in the playoffs,hoping for a chance at another cup ,hopefully it not being another 50 years makes me a fanatic,well guilty as charged I guess.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
It’s not even like it’s a cry. Nobody is saying Ullmark was terrible or that the loss is on him.

But he was handily outplayed by the opponent’s counterpart. And that can’t stick if the Bruins hope to win this series. We’ve seen the rotation all season long… I don’t understand why it’s such an objectionable concept.
It’s not an objectionable concept, it’s just an irrelevant one if 37, 63 and 88 don’t start producing to expectations...Your best players have to produce in the post season and their Game 1 performance simply wasn’t good enough.

I expect them to bounce back in Game 2.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
I guess if hoping they can do something in the playoffs,hoping for a chance at another cup ,hopefully it not being another 50 years makes me a fanatic,well guilty as charged I guess.
all Bruins fans hope for those things. some of them look at the 2 rosters and say "couple guys swapped lines since then, we got this, plus the regular season is never predictive of the playoffs! we got this" The rest know that hoping for something doesn't mean it's going to happen

frankiess

Jan 31, 2019
Did you watch the game? He didn't do anything that Mac, Lindholm, Reilly, or Gryz haven't done hundreds of times. He made a pedestrian pass to Perron/O'Reilly and they made great plays to score 2 goals, and the 3rd assist came when the Blues positioned Krug down below the faceoff dots on the powerplay, and while being completely wide open(Minnie's D was atrocious), his nearly point blank shot was saved, and the Blues scored on the rebound. Gryz could do that easily if he was told to completely forget about any defensive responsibility.

Enjoy a much worse turnover than the one Gryz is being crucified for, but since the goalie made the save on the resultant breakaway, nothing to see here:

After watching the game again this afternoon, I really have to say Gryz was our best defenseman last night. He made numerous excellent defensive plays, and was really good at retrieving the puck, and getting it headed up ice before the forecheck could pin them in the zone. He also made a bunch of very good pinches to keep the puck in the offensive zone.

The McAvoy-Lindholm pairing really seemed to have the hardest time with the Cane's forecheck, turning the puck over, and giving up the best scoring chances.

At one point, I think it was at the end of the first, Ullmark flubbed a clearing attempt, and McAvoy got bodied off the puck around the faceoff dot, turning the puck over to another Cane, and Gryz saved their bacon by getting over, and deflecting the puck out of play.

As for the "-3" , the only goal that was partially his fault was the 3rd one, when a spinning puck on it's edge rolled up over his skate on a pinch. There were numerous failed pinches on both sides during the game, but most didn't lead to goals because a forward came back to back up the pinching Dman.
On the play, Coyle lost his man, Trocheck, who beat him down the ice, who made an amazing pass, followed by an amazing shot.

Anyways, on to game 2.

''but since the goalie made the save on the resultant breakaway, nothing to see here:'' That's right. That's how it goes. He pinched, they scored. That's how it goes.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
IMO you need to stick with Ullboy.

I do beleive the problem for the Bruins is in their head right now. Canes had their number ALL YEAR..... and Boston will need hockey gods to reverse that. THEY MIGHT NEED A FERENCE FINGER next game... to Canes and everyone else!!!

I PREDICT A BOSTON WIN - SECOND GAME.

Reactions: The don godfather

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
all Bruins fans hope for those things. some of them look at the 2 rosters and say "couple guys swapped lines since then, we got this, plus the regular season is never predictive of the playoffs! we got this" The rest know that hoping for something doesn't mean it's going to happen
Never said it was.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

This would be a valid point if there weren’t 50 times as many posters saying things like “they’re done” down 1-0 on the road in the first round.

Sure, maybe some favor optimism. But let’s not pretend that’s any more unreasonable than people who don’t seem to have any mode but perpetual pouting any time the Bruins aren’t in front on the scoreboard.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I am not going to read through all of this.

Clearly the Bs need to get to the next level to win one.

I thought they looked good in the first.

Please will everyone send kind thoughts and prayers for our poster SMACK66 as he is in the hospital and not doing well (cancer).
Oh no that's tough news. Thoughts and prayers to him. Thanks for posting this Susan.:(

Reactions: Ladyfan

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Its actually the opposite.

Cassidy has been saying after every game the power play unit needs to stop trying to go one on three with zone entries. Seems they have little concern for what their coach keeps saying.
IF that's the case, then they have tuned him the f**k OUT!

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Can we all agree that this whole merge post thing sucks?

Ok good.

Let's Go Bruins!
Especially when you say two different things and it merges someone else’s post you quoted into the other though and doesn’t make sense together
Post automatically merged:

IMO you need to stick with Ullboy.

I do beleive the problem for the Bruins is in their head right now. Canes had their number ALL YEAR..... and Boston will need hockey gods to reverse that. THEY MIGHT NEED A FERENCE FINGER next game... to Canes and everyone else!!!

I PREDICT A BOSTON WIN - SECOND GAME.
I’d give him one more game, but if it’s another 4 goals against performance then it’s time to put in swayman.

Either way the bruins aren’t going to win many games scoring one goal or allowing 4+

Reactions: Bradely

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
cause Ullmark was better last part of the year. Simple as that.

We don't really have a D problem. We have a scoring problem.
The problem is both are the problem

cause Ullmark was better last part of the year. Simple as that.

We don't really have a D problem. We have a scoring problem.
The problem is both are the problem

Reactions: Ladyfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad