Post-Game Talk: ECQF GAME 1 - BRUINS 5 Hogtown 1 - Bruins lead series 1-0

ORR4EVAH

Sponsor
Nov 10, 2010
Ottawa
I think there are a few factors, and we’ve already touched on a couple.

1. Bobby Orr was larger than life, and my friends and I knew all about him even though we were too young to remember him on the Bruins. It’s natural that people everywhere would root for him and the Bruins.

2. WSBK TV38 had a powerful UHF signal that reached into Canada and fed anyone who wanted it a steady diet of Bruins hockey. Almost kind of a “Radio Free Europe” kind of thing. Winning of hearts and minds.

3. Lastly, some people just want to be different. The Bruins image and culture of being “bad guys,” “rebels” and “tough guys” has tremendous appeal to some people.
Don't forget that New England used to be part of the Empire. Historically we Maritimers have way more in common with New Englanders than the ROC. A big part of my family descended from the Tapleys of Mass. Boston, to me, felt like a very large Saint John, New Brunswick. Of course, Bobby, the Upper Canadian, had an influence on my generation.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
If he's healthy, come back with Ullmark

My stance on the whole thing is ride the hot hand, until they stumble, and then bring in the other guy.

To me, the problem last season wasn't necessarily that they weren't rotating goalies like the regular season. It was that no matter how Ullmark was playing, or how his health was, Montgomery refused to go to Swayman until it was way too late.

If one of them is dominating (as Swayman did last night), keep that going until he falters and then switch to the other guy. The luxury is that one guy can pick the other guy up. If one guy is riding high, why switch?

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
1713732272134.png

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Tomorrow is a big one.

I've seen a lot of series where the Bruins won easily in game 1, making you think it'd be a nice easy sweep, and then get punched in the mouth game 2. Like I could list at least 6 or 7 off the top of my head but I'll spare you.

Don't give them any life, just squash them.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Tomorrow is a big one.

I've seen a lot of series where the Bruins won easily in game 1, making you think it'd be a nice easy sweep, and then get punched in the mouth game 2. Like I could list at least 6 or 7 off the top of my head but I'll spare you.

Don't give them any life, just squash them.
That is the danger. I feel so much joy today but know how quickly the tables can turn. I am always hopeful though.

Tommy Tubs

Mar 2, 2024
Neither of the Gs is used to playing a bunch of games in a row and they are both used to the rotation.

Go Ullmark in 2, Swayman in 3. Make a call from there.

I think the biggest way to screw this up is to get into a situation where one of them gets worn down and the other comes in rusty, like last year.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Neither of the Gs is used to playing a bunch of games in a row and they are both used to the rotation.

I think the biggest way to screw this up is to get into a situation where one of them gets worn down and the other comes in rusty, like last year.
All the pundits say to put Swayman back in. I'm for keeping what's worked and starting Ullmark.
Its not like he's worse, and also why start playing with their heads at this point?
Win or lose you go back to Swayman. We'll see.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

I'd say rotate the first 4 games, then (if necessary) commit to the hotter goalie for games 5-7.

Reactions: Number4orr

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Pasta should be due for a hatty tomorrow night seeing as he didn't score yesterday.

Secondary scoring ftw.
Pasta has players all over him every shift. This enables other players to have more freedom to score. The Leafs left Jake alone.

The Leafs will do all they can to keep Pasta from getting goals.

It will be difficult for him to get a hat trick when they shadow his every move.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I don't watch the Leafs much; I just hear about their potent offense.

So the start of the game caught me off guard. Did they think they were the Broad Street Bullies? I get wanting to set the tone, and sending messages. But what about playing to your identity? Matthews and Marner were invisible most of the night.

If that continues, great for the Bs.

It surprises me how much they were relying on Max Domi, who has bounced around the league.

I think either goalie is a good call. Swayman is in their heads, much like Holtby was to the Bruins. At the same time, alternating goalies could make it difficult for shooters to adjust.

If this ends in the first round for Toronto, I'm guessing Keefe is done.

Wonder if Woll plays Game 2? Hank was defending Samsonov, and doubting whether Woll was an upgrade.
Probably thought they'd bully the Bruins into making mistakes. The Panthers beat the B's last year because of a few factors (like Coaching mistakes). Maybe they thought the Bruins were easily intimidated but they didn't realize that this isn't the same B's team. Since Sweeney's deletions (due to $$$ and 2 star players retiring) and the additions that he made in the offseason (especially Geekie, and Boquist who are huge surprises) and the TDL, the Bruins are a much stronger, tougher more resilient squad.
Not saying we're going to win the Cup or even this series (I think we will) but
this team is no pushover thanks lately, especially to the additions of Maroon and Peeke.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Pasta has players all over him every shift. This enables other players to have more freedom to score. The Leafs left Jake alone.

The Leafs will do all they can to keep Pasta from getting goals.

It will be difficult for him to get a hat trick when they shadow his every move.
If there is a player that could do it though, it is Pasta.

Reactions: Gordoff

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Probably thought they'd bully the Bruins into making mistakes. The Panthers beat the B's last year because of a few factors (like Coaching mistakes). Maybe they thought the Bruins were easily intimidated but they didn't realize that this isn't the same B's team. Since Sweeney's deletions (due to $$$ and 2 star players retiring) and the additions that he made in the offseason (especially Geekie, and Boquist who are huge surprises) and the TDL, the Bruins are a much stronger, tougher more resilient squad.
Not saying we're going to win the Cup or even this series (I think we will) but
this team is no pushover thanks lately, especially to the additions of Maroon and Peeke.

The Leafs are not the Panthers.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Bruins need to be prepared for a pushback and boost if Nylander plays. That said, you target him every time while playing exactly how they did in game 1.

B’s fans also need to stay cool, calm and collected (not collective). No cockiness. Act like you’ve been there before.

NeelyOrr

Dec 23, 2018
Central NY
If Monty starts J-SWAY tomorrow night and, heaven forbid, Sway has a bad game, most won't blame Monty because most wanted Sway to start.
However, if Monty starts Linus tomorrow and Linus has a bad game, well Monty better hire more security.
IOW, if I was Monty, the easy choice for all concerned is J-SWAY.

NeelyOrr

Dec 23, 2018
Central NY
If Monty starts J-SWAY tomorrow night and, heaven forbid, Sway has a bad game, most won't blame Monty because most wanted Sway to start.
However, if Monty starts Linus tomorrow and Linus has a bad game, well Monty better hire more security.
IOW, if I was Monty, the easy choice for all concerned is J-SWAY.
Plus the fact that J-SWAY pretty much owns the Laffs.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Reactions: Over the volcano

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad