Post-Game Talk: ECQF GAME 1 - BRUINS 2 Ottawa 1 F - Bruins lead series 1-0

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
We got the win, so that is good.

1. That was entertaining.
2. We can crap on Boston as much as we want for the 2nd period, but that was the best period of hockey I have seen a team play in years. Ottawa did a perfect job of killing any rush in the nuetral zone. Interfering the forecheck and bringing the puck up ice.
3. Great response by the B's in the third
4. Both Goalies should have been the first 2 stars, they both made some great saves
5. 2 days off, hopefully a couple of our injured boys can heal
6. McAvoy did a phenomenal job last night, small sample size, but count me as excited
7. Marchand was invisible all game and then struck, hope that starts a fire under him
8. Miller played a great game
9. Refs put the whistle away, both teams got away with a lot
10. Refs need to start calling interference on the intentional but "accidental" interference. It is honestly worse than the clutch and grab of the late 90's.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Playoffs often involves grinding out wins. Home ice advantage established with a chance to build on it come Saturday.

What can you say that hasn't been said on McAvoy. Wow! Heady, heady stuff. The future has arrived.

They could have easily been up by 3 in the first as the brought it and unfortunately didn't get rewarded.

When Rask is going well his legs are quiet and he tracks the puck well. Could see he was on form early on.

The Marshy goal was redemption for an overall pretty lack lustre night. He stuck with it and got rewarded. The delayed reaction by most was weird. The shot was quick and it appeared the puck disappeared into the skirting on the bottom of the net and trapped by the net cam.

The Chiller situation is of concern. Would Morrow be the next up?

Keep it rolling Bruins!

agreed

I think a play I was most impressed with, came in the 1st period, was McAvoy boxing out Brassard to the right of Tuukka with the puck there for the taking. Not sure how many kids would have been that aware and nearly strong enough to do that

I was and still am blown away by how he looked but I also need to stay calm and remember, there will be some mistakes here and there

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
We got the win, so that is good.

1. That was entertaining.
2. We can crap on Boston as much as we want for the 2nd period, but that was the best period of hockey I have seen a team play in years. Ottawa did a perfect job of killing any rush in the nuetral zone. Interfering the forecheck and bringing the puck up ice.
3. Great response by the B's in the third
4. Both Goalies should have been the first 2 stars, they both made some great saves
5. 2 days off, hopefully a couple of our injured boys can heal
6. McAvoy did a phenomenal job last night, small sample size, but count me as excited
7. Marchand was invisible all game and then struck, hope that starts a fire under him
8. Miller played a great game
9. Refs put the whistle away, both teams got away with a lot
10. Refs need to start calling interference on the intentional but "accidental" interference. It is honestly worse than the clutch and grab of the late 90's.

1- "That was entertaining"?

Wow, sorry, most I can agree with on your list but entertaining is not close to how I would describe that game

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
1- "That was entertaining"?

Wow, sorry, most I can agree with on your list but entertaining is not close to how I would describe that game

Really? I thought that was an incredibly entertaining game. The pace was crazy. The end to end hockey was crazy. The goaltending was unbelievable. The second period was a dud, and not just because they didn't register a shot, but overall the game was quite entertaining, IMO.

BsEuphoria

The Future
Sep 21, 2013
agreed

I think a play I was most impressed with, came in the 1st period, was McAvoy boxing out Brassard to the right of Tuukka with the puck there for the taking. Not sure how many kids would have been that aware and nearly strong enough to do that

I was and still am blown away by how he looked but I also need to stay calm and remember, there will be some mistakes here and there

I think Carlo has been really great for us this year, but this is one of my big knocks on him is his awareness with stuff like this. Not only was Mac boxing him out, he immediately tied up his stick off the ice to. I couldn't believe the play when I saw it either.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Really? I thought that was an incredibly entertaining game. The pace was crazy. The end to end hockey was crazy. The goaltending was unbelievable. The second period was a dud, and not just because they didn't register a shot, but overall the game was quite entertaining, IMO.

Stretches in the first sure, that 2nd was one that nobody could call entertaining unless they like ice being totally tilted. I love this game, love the B`s, loved the ending but typically when I watch playoff hockey, I don`t want to even miss a neutral zone faceoff but this one wasn`t up there in even my top 50 Bruin playoff games

That 1-0 OT win vs the Bolts a few years ago would be a great example of a game that was mind numbing from the opening drop of the puck for entertainment value

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Stretches in the first sure, that 2nd was one that nobody could call entertaining unless they like ice being totally tilted. I love this game, love the B`s, loved the ending but typically when I watch playoff hockey, I don`t want to even miss a neutral zone faceoff but this one wasn`t up there in even my top 50 Bruin playoff games

That 1-0 OT win vs the Bolts a few years ago would be a great example of a game that was mind numbing from the opening drop of the puck for entertainment value

Well if that's your standard, you're going to be incredibly disappointed most of the time sir.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
Nice to he Bruins battle back and get the win.

The 2 difference makers in the game were McAvoy and Rask.

One thing is for sure, the Bruins need to cash in on their PP's. That was a big part of game.

Hoping to get some bodies back for game 2....

Orrfourever

Bruinaholic
Nov 29, 2016
Saskatchewan, Canada
Can we get Randel Up to address the Borowecki problem?
Please!

Hey Charlie. Looking forward to watching you play for the next 20 years. cool as a cucumber.

Nash with a helper.

Great hockey.

Go Bruins!!!

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
What a steal by Rask. Bruins can't complain if they trail by 3 or 4 goals after the second period. It was kinda scary how not even the Bergy-line had a good shift. Third period was stellar though.

McAvoy with a good first game.

Oh, and Pastrnak needs way too many chances. That's deadly if you only ice one line with some serious offensive potential.

MetM

Nov 29, 2009
Maybe he had the jitters in his first playoff game. Now he has that under his belt, hopefully he settles down and scores some. He did hit the post once last night.

Exactly, let's tell him : "it's still hockey right?"

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Isn't a Bruins playoff win by definition entertaining?

Night of the goalies in playoff openers. Jake Allen with 50 saves in 2-1 win?

Ryan77

Jan 3, 2015
My take on last night game and the good and bad..

1) Rask was outstanding, best he's looked in three years, he battled, positoning was fantastic and rebound control was good!!

2) we have too many 4th liners in the lineup.. we need a little more skill and I still think Chelarik is the guy. IMO.

3) Charlie Mcavoy is a stud... period

4) someone needs to sort Boroweski out quickly, he's taking cheap shots and runs at our guys for too long. At least someone have a word!!!

5) negative- we made Karlsson night to easy.. he's clearly injured and in a long serious we need to hit him every chance we get, and don't be scared to give that foot some love taps.

6) PP has to bury, i expect this to be a low scoring series so PP needs to be clipping!!

All in all great start to this series with a short handed lineup. Losing this game would have been bad for the teams mindset.. now they know they can't beat Ottawa!!

Btw people who say that game was not entertaining the baseball season just started and you can tune in to 9 guy scratch their nuts and chew for 4 hours. Fantastic well played game last night!! That was hockey!!

Last edited:

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Anyone hear anything yet on Colin Miller? We can use his speed in this series for sure, thought he played pretty well until he got hurt.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
The good:

- McAvoy was fantastic.
- Rask was fantastic.
- Miller played a strong game.

As a team they really brought it in the third period. It was good, especially after that abortion of a 2nd period. There's zero excuse for no shots on goal, regardless of how good Ottawa played. The third was great.

The bad:

- Chara was absolutely brutal.
- Beleskey was absolutely invisible.

As a team i would like to see them actually target Karlsson. Hit him hard, hit him often, give him some stick work. He's clearly not 100% and so many times the Bruins passed up on hitting him. Think Boro would pass up if Bergeron was injured? Yeah right. The Bruins are still playing far too soft for my liking.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
The good:

- McAvoy was fantastic.
- Rask was fantastic.

As a team they really brought it in the third period. It was good, especially after that abortion of a 2nd period. There's zero excuse for no shots on goal, regardless of how good Ottawa played. The third was great.

The bad:

As a team i would like to see them actually target Karlsson. Hit him hard, hit him often, give him some stick work. He's clearly not 100% and so many times the Bruins passed up on hitting him. Think Boro would pass up if Bergeron was injured? Yeah right. The Bruins are still playing far too soft for my liking.

Beleskey was not invisible, he had a few very noticeable unforced turnovers.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Great 1st.
Awful 2nd.
Great 3rd.

Rask 1st star.
This team healthy could go a long way.

March-Bergy-Pasta
Bjork-Krejci-Backes
Vatrano-Spooner-Stafford
Moore-Nash-Acciari

Chara-Carlo
Krug-McQuaid
K,Miller-McAvoy

Rask

Go Bruins!

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
Great 1st.
Awful 2nd.
Great 3rd.

Rask 1st star.
This team healthy could go a long way.

March-Bergy-Pasta
Bjork-Krejci-Backes
Vatrano-Spooner-Stafford
Moore-Nash-Acciari

Chara-Carlo
Krug-McQuaid
K,Miller-McAvoy

Rask

Go Bruins!

I don't think our 1st period was great by any means. We gave up too many chances, and were lucky to end the period tied.

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
nay nay

As discussed in the GDT it is the strategy I took for the Super Bowl and it worked.

Therefore it was decided I do so again.

Well that changes everything. Fine is here by rescinded and flight to Providence has been cancelled. Guess you have to go with a nap for the matinee on Saturday. Appreciate you doing your part in the playoffs. Total team player.:handclap:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The good:

- McAvoy was fantastic.
- Rask was fantastic.

The bad:

Chara was fine, not sure what game you were watching.

Cronuss

Feb 19, 2007
NH

You mean the game that is almost universally touted as one of the best and most entertaining hockey games in the last decade?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad