Post-Game Talk: ECQF Game 0: Caps @ Flyers, 8:08 pm, 3/30, NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Spot on as usual in your posts, analyzing the team.
Thanks. On a related note, the Caps are very much in the running to take home the Jennings Trophy for fewest goals against. They're at 175 on the season with Anaheim next at 177. The three teams within five GAs of them (ANA, LAK, TBL) have played the same amount of games. I wouldn't doubt this is one of Trotz's goals for the season.

The bigger difference post-ASB is in their underlying numbers, namely goal differential and their possession stats. Both are pretty middle of the pack.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
By my count, their record since the ASB is 19-8-2, which is a full season pace of 113 points. They've slowed, but their post-ASB play is still probably good enough to win the President's Trophy.

I do love hearing the narrative that they've been bad or terrible in 2016. They've had a 20 point lead since Christmas and despite how "bad" they've played no one has closed the gap.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Orlov looked tentative and pressured in the first, and he had a couple of shifts where he struggled to clear the zone. He got better as the game went along though, and I thought he was going to score on that open shot from the slot.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
The bigger difference post-ASB is in their underlying numbers, namely goal differential and their possession stats. Both are pretty middle of the pack.

They've had middle of the pack possession stats for the entire season. I've been checking them all year because the middling stats and top 3 PDO has been gnawing on the back of my mind all year, and I keep waiting for the numbers to improve. You're right about goal differential though. On Dec 31, they were +39 through 37 games. In 39 games since then, we're +21, so our average margin of victory has been cut almost exactly in half. Hopefully most of that drop is Holtby's struggles in Feb and the line juggling in March (we were dead even in GD in March).

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
You could tell Orlov was definitely hesitant last night. I think he'll learn the appropriate time and place to take his chances.

What I want to see from Orlov is to play a risk free game when we're protecting a lead. Alzner is very good at that, but obviously we don't need Orlov to be another Alzner.

If he sees a golden opportunity to score when we're trailing, he will jump into the play to score the goal, that's his nature. What is bred in the bone will come out in the flesh.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Dumb play by Chimmer. At first I thought it was an innocent little elbow to the gut, then I realized it was a butt end to the ribs.

We would hate it if one of their guys did it to Kuzy or Bura, like the Flyers must hate it that Chimera did it to their young star.

Their young star slashed Chimera in a pretty provocative way. Chimera gave him a poke. Nobody was hurt. I bet he doesn't slash Chimera like that again. I would bet that Ghost would rather gotten that poke than a steady diet of Tom Wilson which is possible if there is actually a playoff series

Next please

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
How does Giroux perform in the playoffs? Dude just looks tiny out there, like he'd wear down over the course of a series. On the other hand, guys like Couturier, Simmonds, and Schenn look like they're built for the postseason.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
How does Giroux perform in the playoffs? Dude just looks tiny out there, like he'd wear down over the course of a series. On the other hand, guys like Couturier, Simmonds, and Schenn look like they're built for the postseason.

Giroux is very good in the playoffs. He's small, but he battles hard and he is smart. Philly has questionable goaltending though. Mason/Neuvirth can be great, but they can be terrible at times.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I would target the **** out of Gostisbehere. Let's see how he's feeling after a few games of Willy breathing down his neck.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Giroux is very good in the playoffs. He's small, but he battles hard and he is smart. Philly has questionable goaltending though. Mason/Neuvirth can be great, but they can be terrible at times.

I thought Mason was leaky last night and lucked out on a few shots (and goal posts). The SO was a bizarre reversal from the first 60 minutes for both goaltenders.

**** the Flyers, **** the Pens.

The Caps are due for a postseason steamrolling or two of an opponent.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I would target the **** out of Gostisbehere. Let's see how he's feeling after a few games of Willy breathing down his neck.

:handclap: /trending

I am still loving seeing JDubs destroying Simmonds proper right after his late hit on Nick.

That's the fine that should have been doled out last night. On Simmonds. Was BMac watching / tweeting? The only reason Chimera was fined was because it was big televised game. The dumb scroll score banner on the bottom of the screen almost screened what happened. What he did was petty and Gass sold it hard and should have gotten fined for a dive.

Definitely pound him like a mallard duck when the playoffs start, and I'd bet Chimera wins the $100 bounty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad