Post-Game Talk: ECQF Game 0: Caps @ Flyers, 8:08 pm, 3/30, NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Kuz or bura gonna start heating up, i can feel it. And it will be hell of a lot of fun to watch when it does

Burakovsky has been really impressive the 2nd half of the season. He's been great at the possession game in the offensive zone and has started to create chances on his own. Not scoring that much lately but his overall game has been really improving.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
the only thing I saw last night that I didn't like was Backstrom getting runover delivering his counter hit. Makes me wonder a bit about his leg strength or his hip. Maybe Schenn was just going to fast or is too big, but that didn't look right.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Burakovsky has been really impressive the 2nd half of the season. He's been great at the possession game in the offensive zone and has started to create chances on his own. Not scoring that much lately but his overall game has been really improving.

Seriously, he's been the only one who's stood out from the top 6 last 5 or so games.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Caps over passed all night and didn't battle in front of net, etc. smart. No need to do that.

2-0-2 vs philly this year. Playoff series would be no problem

Oshie went to the net many times but was "cleaned out" consistently, meaning interfered with, tripped, mugged, etc.

the only thing I saw last night that I didn't like was Backstrom getting runover delivering his counter hit. Makes me wonder a bit about his leg strength or his hip. Maybe Schenn was just going to fast or is too big, but that didn't look right.

Backstrom has looked bad and not coasting bad. About the only thing I'm worried about going into the playoffs is NB.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008

I thought he looked quicker last night for some reason, maybe it was my imagination.

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011

Schenn is a tank when he is moving with speed, I don't think Backstrom realized how fast he was coming in. Glad he wasn't hurt though as it was that awkward distance from the boards that can be dangerous.

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013

Backstrom 'lost' on the counter hit b/c Schenn countered to the shoulder/neck area.

Overall, last night was a entertaining game. A nice preview of what Philthy will try to do in playoffs. We need to bring the physical component but stay within our game and avoid stupid penalties.

The refs and and NBCSN announcers were useless. Pierre has never been Caps friendly and never will. We could win the Cup and he'd still be gushing over the other team.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
We got away with our fair share (chimera poke, beagle interference, and some hooks and holds) and the flyers got away with stuff too, who cares, it was pretty even in my book.

They also gifted us a powerplay in OT that we couldn't finish. So please, stop with the "Refs were a joke" bit and move on.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
I'm excited for this playoff series, assuming it happens. I don't think it will be easy at all. ALL playoff teams are scary, any team can lose to any team. For me, all playoff games are anxiety-riddled, stress-inducing, mind-****s. That's kind of why I like watching them so much.

Officiating sucked for both sides, but I kind of liked all the non-calls. The only one that really pissed me off was the Beagle slash in front of their net. Stupid reason to automatically call a penalty, but when it's in front of their net, with a scoring chance, zone-pressure, and puck possession being taken away, it has to be called.

Besides that, it's ridiculous to think the Flyers were the only team getting away with penalties. I don't care if Chimera hit that dude's hip, balls, knee, toe, or pinky finger; he clearly tried to jam the butt end of his stick somewhere. I also don't care that it was in retaliation for what G did. Point is, they both got away with penalties. 5 on 4 is boring. 5 on 5 is where it's at, and also where we need to get better, so I would like to see us play more 5 on 5 rather than win games from our powerplay production.

Also, I really don't understand the argument, or really, the excuse, that we aren't playing well because we have nothing to play for. These are some of the most competitive humans on the planet. Highly competitive people don't just mail it in, they always want to win.

The problem with the reffing isn't parity one way or the other, it's that this sort of "playoff reffing" leads to guys getting hurt. These games have a kind of mutually assured destruction where the only retribution you're gonna get for a slash or high hit is to give one back. It's bad enough when refs swallow their whistles this way in the playoffs, but it's even more frustrating when it happens in the regular season. We were lucky to get out of there without someone getting their wrist broken by a slash or twisting something getting shoved into the boards.

For some reason, probably something to do with the Broad Street Bullies and the city's reputation as a whole, a lot of Flyers' regular season games get the playoff treatment by the refs. At least, ones against the Caps do. It's probably to the Flyers detriment in the long run, since they're playing a lot more games where both sides can take liberties over the course of the season.

That's why I don't want to play against this ****ing team
Dirty team
Bad hits on star players
And the refs let them play.

But the show nothing in the o-zone

And I don't understand why Wilson (with Gagner) received a 2 minute minor? Was a mistake by the refs.
Then with the 4on4 you have more space and then you have the minor for MoJo. And then the goal.

Exactly. I like our chances of beating them in 7 game series, but I don't like our chances of doing that without any injuries. As much as I'd love to beat them in the playoffs, I'd much rather watch them flail around against whoever wins the Atlantic.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
You can't hit Backstrom like that without Ovechkin crushing someone later. It is going to happen. It's like a law of physics.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Man, I'm kind of worried about the team. I really don't think they have looked all that great since the snow storm break.

If they get out hustled by the other team, they almost have no response (like the Pitt game, and parts of last night). Its almost like they rarely use the skill/talent they have to make anything happen (Kuz probably the sole exception).

I know most of you think they're only coasting or playing at 80%, and I really really really hope that is true and that this team isn't what it was last year, a coin flip hockey team that solely relies effort and hustle to win games.

The thing is, before the snow storm, they were down right dominant. Their passing was exceptional. They were great on the forecheck. Probably the most dominant I've seen this group ever look. Haven't seen anything like that since.

Someone pull me off the ledge.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Man, I'm kind of worried about the team. I really don't think they have looked all that great since the snow storm break.

If they get out hustled by the other team, they almost have no response (like the Pitt game, and parts of last night). Its almost like they rarely use the skill/talent they have to make anything happen (Kuz probably the sole exception).

I know most of you think they're only coasting or playing at 80%, and I really really really hope that is true and that this team isn't what it was last year, a coin flip hockey team that solely relies effort and hustle to win games.

The thing is, before the snow storm, they were down right dominant. Their passing was exceptional. They were great on the forecheck. Probably the most dominant I've seen this group ever look. Haven't seen anything like that since.

They have been bored and coasting. The players and coach have all talked about it. The only question is how well they play when that factor is removed.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

I don't expect them to dominate every team in a 7-game series the way they did in November and December. It's the playoffs... Totally different animal. But what I see is a team that can adjust to different styles, win tight physical games or beat you with skill, doesn't get rattled when they lose one and comes back strong next game, has great tending, and has different guys who can deliver each night. They haven't lost 2 in a row in regulation all year, haven't lost 3 in a row of any kind, and have only lost 2 ref/OT what, twice? That's playoff hockey and they are built for it.

Plus I believe they are playing at 75ish% to avoid injury while staying in game shape and because there's no urgency. Taken altogether, that's why I am hopeful.

The coin-flip argument is faulty imo anyway. In the cap era, at least, any playoff team can beat any other if all the chips fall right. But the Caps are built to compete with whatever their opponent may bring.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

They got the Flyers' best shot last night, in Philadelphia, and it still went to a shootout.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
They're bored and coasting but they're still playing sound defensively and blocking shots so you can't say they're completely going through the motions trying to avoid injury lately. They know that wouldn't be acceptable. There is one cardinal sin on this team and it's the turnovers like Orlov has made lately. That's about it.

There's bound to be an efficiency problem if their mentality is to just work incredibly hard and, y'know, results are bound to follow. They need to more easily create dangerous chances for themselves and break down defenders with pace. At this point that would be my biggest question about them heading into the playoffs.

IMO we will see a lot of low scoring games once again because at heart that is who they are. Their most consistent area remains team defense. They have skill and certainly some very skilled individuals but in terms of consistently applying it it still pales compared to team defense.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
You can't hit Backstrom like that without Ovechkin crushing someone later. It is going to happen. It's like a law of physics.

Did I miss it happening last night?

I think if it is going to happen, it would have happened. I don't think Ovi is his big brother anymore, like the old days.

Williams is. Nisky is his adopted brother, apparently.

Ovi simply doesn't hit as much. Not that his body could keep up that insane bar he set. Lets be reality there.

binary0x01

Jul 3, 2008
Idaho
code.computronium.io
The problem with the reffing isn't parity one way or the other, it's that this sort of "playoff reffing" leads to guys getting hurt. These games have a kind of mutually assured destruction where the only retribution you're gonna get for a slash or high hit is to give one back. It's bad enough when refs swallow their whistles this way in the playoffs, but it's even more frustrating when it happens in the regular season. We were lucky to get out of there without someone getting their wrist broken by a slash or twisting something getting shoved into the boards.

For some reason, probably something to do with the Broad Street Bullies and the city's reputation as a whole, a lot of Flyers' regular season games get the playoff treatment by the refs. At least, ones against the Caps do. It's probably to the Flyers detriment in the long run, since they're playing a lot more games where both sides can take liberties over the course of the season.

Exactly. I like our chances of beating them in 7 game series, but I don't like our chances of doing that without any injuries. As much as I'd love to beat them in the playoffs, I'd much rather watch them flail around against whoever wins the Atlantic.

That's why foreign refs should ref all flyers games.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Speaking of Orlov, how did you find his play last night? I think he played very safe with the puck. Message received from the coach by #9.

I thought he was solid last night. Guy competes night in and night out. He just needs to stop it with the high risk passes.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012

Who knows what kind of the team is this. Only playoffs will tell. Their underlying numbers are saying they are average, their record is telling they are elite. We will know soon.

Only thing I want is them to enjoy the ride too. Flyers definitely were enjoying the last game, it was fun game for them to play. That's why G was all over the ice. Hope Backy will have the same fun too.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

IMO we will see a lot of low scoring games once again because at heart that is who they are. Their most consistent area remains team defense. They have skill and certainly some very skilled individuals but in terms of consistently applying it it still pales compared to team defense.

Spot on as usual in your posts, analyzing the team.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011

By my count, their record since the ASB is 19-8-2, which is a full season pace of 113 points. They've slowed, but their post-ASB play is still probably good enough to win the President's Trophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad