Series Talk: ECQF: Carolina Hurricanes vs New York Islanders (CAR Leads 3-1)

CAR vs NYI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I hear that statement a lot "built for the playoffs" but how exactly are they?

They were not a great 5on5 team, they were not good defensively or in net and seldom won in regulation.
When a team isn't very skilled or dominant and has to grind out a lot of close games and rely on goaltending because of it, they're apparently "built for the playoffs."

I will say that while Carolina is ten times better than the Islanders, I feel like the Islanders are due to PDO and goalie their way to a 7 game win.

(Only to get dismantled in the second round a week later).

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
When a team isn't very skilled or dominant and has to grind out a lot of close games and rely on goaltending because of it, they're apparently "built for the playoffs."

I will say that while Carolina is ten times better than the Islanders, I feel like the Islanders are due to PDO and goalie their way to a 7 game win.

(Only to get dismantled in the second round a week later).

Isles match up better against the Rangers /Caps/Pens than they do against the Canes.

If the Isles get through round 1, then watch out.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
With Sorokin having regressed as much as he has relative to last year, and the Hurricanes playing like a buzz saw, think this is going to be a quick and clean series out of the Canes - maybe even a sweep, but went with 5 games to be safe. That Guentzel, Aho and Jarvis line is the best line in hockey at the moment.

Reactions: Stickpucker

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
With Sorokin having regressed as much as he has relative to last year, and the Hurricanes playing like a buzz saw, think this is going to be a quick and clean series out of the Canes - maybe even a sweep, but went with 5 games to be safe. That Guentzel, Aho and Jarvis line is the best line in hockey at the moment.
The Isles have only a 5% chance of winning this series or so I read.

Reactions: Riseonfire

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
He didn't regress, the team was just horrific in front of him under Lambert.

Isles have one of the best goalie duos in the league:
1713301887881.jpeg

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Probably the most one-sided match up in the playoffs unless Long Island pulls off some insane heroics. I'll give them a game but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Canes sweep.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
He didn't regress, the team was just horrific in front of him under Lambert.

Isles have one of the best goalie duos in the league:
View attachment 852942

He did...regress though? Last year he had a goals saved above expected of 38.7, which is insane - the 3rd highest goals saved above expected in the last 10 years. This year he sits at 0.1, while Varlamov sits at 9.3. The team in front of him was bad, sure, but he also didn't perform anywhere near last season's benchmark he set.

Reactions: Stickpucker

bov

Nov 13, 2010
I'd love an upset here but Carolina is levels above the Islanders. Sweep incoming. Hope to be dead wrong though.

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
LOL True. That's often times the kiss of death though - underestimating your opponent.

The Canes are obviously the better team. And they seem to have the Isles number in the regular season and playoffs in recent years. Not a good combo.
Not that it means anything, but we actually did well against them this regular season, bafflingly enough. Think we won 3/4 and the loss was in OT(shocker...not).

Still, we don't have near the firepower for this fight. Already having visions of Guentzel, Aho, et al. abusing Bortuzzo or Aho or whomever is in the lineup if Dobson can't go. Burns usually torches us as well.

Ah well, still fun to make it, hopefully we can make it a series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad