ECQF: (1) Tampa Bay Lightning vs. (WC2) New Jersey Devils | Tampa Leads Series 3-1

who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Well I certainly hope the lightning see us as such easy opponents the way plenty of people in here do. By all means, don’t take us seriously at all.

Well, the Devils are the 8th seed. Haven't made the playoffs in six years. Your team isn't going to be favored. Relax.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
The Devils have always matched up pretty well against us in the past. Hall is on a scary run, Kinkaid looks legit and they're over all a very balanced team. I have a lot of respect for the Devils and would have prefered to face Toronto tbh. That said, I do believe the Lightning have another gear. A playoff spot wasn't in question for so long, players just wanted to get it over with and step on playoff ice already. Every team we've faced in the past month or so wanted to show the hockey world that they could hang with us, play us hard, give 110%. For us it was just another almost meaningless hockey game. Get out there, score a couple, try some new line combinations, see where newcomers JT Miller and Ryan McDonagh and callups Anthony Cirelli or Adam Erne could fit but most importantly: don't get injured. Which btw explains our subpar PK numbers. No point for Hedman, Stralman, McDonagh, Stamkos, Palat or Callahan to risk a hand or foot injury while blocking a shot on the PK in a meaningless game against the likes of Arizona or Carolina when you have locked up a playoff spot weeks ago.

Even in this "laid back" phase the Lightning had their share of statement games. Shutout win against Boston. Coming back from 0-3 to win 4-3 against Toronto. That's not a fluke. That's the team we will see in a few days. I don't doubt for one second that the Lightning will show up in early season form once the playoffs start. They're still pissed about missing the playoffs last season by a hair. They're still pissed that they have been stopped in the ECF and the SCF the years before. This is the most stacked team that has ever stepped on the ice wearing the Bolt on the jersey in Tampa Bay: We have legit 2nd liners playing on the 3rd line (Johnson, Palat, Gourde, Killorn), we have a legit 1C playing 2nd line (Point), we have a legit top-2 defenseman playing on the 2nd D pairing (McDonagh). You know this team is deep and every line can score. The only questionmark for me is Vasilevskiy.

Bolts in 6.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Well you listed all of the good players on the Devils in this post, but you missed quite a few Lightning players.

You seriously think the only good Devil's player is Hall? Nobody else? Yiiikes. I know you've had hot takes blow up in your face before, but I guess lessons are never learned if you can just say what you want on the internet and never have to back it up. :)

Love how loaded Tampa is. Love how NJ is building. I think Tampa should win but NJ is one hell of a hockey team and will be in the coming years. Their hope that Kinkaid can hold the fort is one of the x-factors here. Their star goalie hasn't been a star and Kinkaid has stepped up. That should be huge advantage for Tampa.

Reactions: AfroThunder396

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
You seriously think the only good Devil's player is Hall? Nobody else? Yiiikes. I know you've had hot takes blow up in your face before, but I guess lessons are never learned if you can just say what you want on the internet and never have to back it up. :)

Love how loaded Tampa is. Love how NJ is building. I think Tampa should win but NJ is one hell of a hockey team and will be in the coming years. Their hope that Kinkaid can hold the fort is one of the x-factors here. Their star goalie hasn't been a star and Kinkaid has stepped up. That should be huge advantage for Tampa.

Vasilevski has has like....one game of note in the last month, which was the 4-0 SO vs Boston. We're talking about a guy who was the no question Vezina winner like 3 months ago, and now I think the only reason he's going to be nominated is because of his first half. He looks incredibly uncomfortable out there. Whether he gets rest or not. I'm not so sure goaltending is an advantage for TB right now.

If Vasy is back to form for the playoffs though, yeah. Gonna make it that much tougher.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Really like the Devils and they have a great future but in my experience things get tilted against young teams at their first playoff dance because they have trouble dealing with the pressure and finding that extra playoff gear against experienced playoff teams. Tampa and Vasilevsky have looked terrible the past month but I think they can get past the Devils, but it's not going to be a blowout, close series, Bolts in 7.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
Vasilevski has has like....one game of note in the last month, which was the 4-0 SO vs Boston. We're talking about a guy who was the no question Vezina winner like 3 months ago, and now I think the only reason he's going to be nominated is because of his first half. He looks incredibly uncomfortable out there. Whether he gets rest or not. I'm not so sure goaltending is an advantage for TB right now.

If Vasy is back to form for the playoffs though, yeah. Gonna make it that much tougher.
Vasy's recent struggles are what makes me worry the most. He has to be on top of his game if we don't want to waste this season.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Not liking how Vasy looks. Devils have waves of players to throw at the Lightning (12 10+ goal scoring forwards)

Devils in 6 or 7

Reactions: glenwo2

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Not liking how Vasy looks. Devils have waves of players to throw at the Lightning (12 10+ goal scoring forwards)

Devils in 6 or 7
NJ has ten 10+ goal scorers (178 goals), not twelve. Tampa have eleven (230 goals).
And why make the cut at 10 goals? NJ has three 20+ goal scorers. Tampa has six (seven if you count Miller).

Now what. :dunno:

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
NJ has ten 10+ goal scorers (178 goals), not twelve. Tampa have eleven (230 goals).
And why make the cut at 10 goals? NJ has three 20+ goal scorers. Tampa has six (seven if you count Miller).

Now what. :dunno:

You're not counting Grabner and Maroon...they have 12.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Yea our depth is definitely better than the Devils. I like our D more. Only thing I can give the Devils the edge in is goaltending. Vasi hasnt been good lately. If NJ can win the goaltending battle, they could win the series. However I feel like we will see a better Vasi now that the playoffs are here. He seems to get dialed in for these big situations.

Reactions: PensandCaps

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017

Devils in 6 or 7
While I agree with the bolded, it's not like it isn't true as well for TB. Vasilevksi has 3825 minutes of ice time this season vs 2297 for Kinkaid and despite his struggles, still has better numbers. So a struggling Vasy playing an enormous amount of minutes (24 games) over his opposition is still posting better numbers than him.

TB doesn't have 12 10 goal scorers, but they have two 30+ goal scorers, four 20+ goal scorers and 4 10+ goal scorers (where NJ only has 1 30+ and 2 20+ and 7 10+) so it's not as if TB doesn't have the same ability to throw out lines of guys that can score.

This will ultimately come down to goaltending, though. Both teams are going to score. It's just a question of who is showing up for TB. If it's the Vasilevski from the first half of the year, it's not even a contest. If it's the guy who I'm less confident in than Louis Domingue.....we're gonna have to win 8-7 every game.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I mean, you're complimenting their scoring depth while ignoring the fact that Tampa scored like 295 goals this season.

I'm not ignoring anything. I wasn't comparing the two teams in the first place. Just talking about the Devils and their depth.

Everyone knows Tampa has the best Scoring depth in the league. Didn't feel like I needed to mention that...

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If Devils can go into TB and win one of the first 2 games. A seed has been planted. Really in the NHL now, there are no true favorties and underdogs in the first rd. Surely we should have learned this with LA, winning the cup, and Philly and Nashville(94pts last season) almost winning one by being bubble playoffs teams going as far as they did.

I will simply maintain since week 3 this season, the Devils are a very good team. They play hard, fast, and tenacious on the puck. They would present a problem to any NHL team in the 1st rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad