ECQF: (1) Tampa Bay Lightning vs. (WC2) New Jersey Devils | Tampa Leads Series 3-1

who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

OurlordAndSaviorKuch

Number one Bull$hit
Oct 12, 2011
Tampa Florida
-Stamkos "might" practice next week. "Might" .... Tampa is in big, big, major trouble.

Tampa Bay Lightning
Apr 6
Steven StamkosStatus: Out
Stamkos (lower body) will miss the final two games of the regular season, according to Lightning coach Jon Cooper, who is not ruling out the star pivot returning to practice next week, Bryan Burns of the Lightning's official site reports.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Someone is forgetting 2016

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Tampa averaged 3.6 goals per game but only 2.67 goals vs NJ.
NJ averaged 3 goals per game - 3.6 per vs Tampa

This could be more of a grind than many realize if the regular season stats hold out. Does anyone know how well regular season matchups translate to success/failure in playoffs, historically?

Reactions: glenwo2

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Kinda bummed; the Bolts are a team I could root for if/when my Devils are eliminated.

Add me to the list that has his heart with the Devils but his head with the Bolts. I just hope we win a couple and make it difficult for Tampa Bay.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I'm not ignoring anything. I wasn't comparing the two teams in the first place. Just talking about the Devils and their depth.

Everyone knows Tampa has the best Scoring depth in the league. Didn't feel like I needed to mention that...
Your argument was "Devils have 12 10+ goal scorers to throw at Vasy". But as you said Tampa has the deepest offense in the league to throw at Kinkaid. I still don't get what you're trying to say here. You made it sound as if Tampa should be scared because of the Devils' depth. Now it's not even worth mentioning that the other team apparently has "the best scoring depth in the league". Just wondering, no offense.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Tampa averaged 3.6 goals per game but only 2.67 goals vs NJ.
NJ averaged 3 goals per game - 3.6 per vs Tampa

This could be more of a grind than many realize if the regular season stats hold out. Does anyone know how well regular season matchups translate to success/failure in playoffs, historically?

My personal experience tells me that regular season matchups dont matter. Have seen it from both points of view. I will say this about the regular season series, they had the edge in goaltending. We outplayed them in the last 2 games, but NJ was able to take advantage of their scoring chances. Its going to be a tough series for TB because NJ will give it their all and TB needs to be ready for that. One thing I will say is TB will be pumped to prove that the regular season series was a fluke. Would actually feel worse about NJ if we had won 1 of them becuase think we would take them lighter had we won one. This way, TB will want to prove that they can beat NJ.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Your argument was "Devils have 12 10+ goal scorers to throw at Vasy". But as you said Tampa has the deepest offense in the league to throw at Kinkaid. I still don't get what you're trying to say here. You made it sound as if Tampa should be scared because of the Devils' depth. Now it's not even worth mentioning that the other team apparently has "the best scoring depth in the league". Just wondering, no offense.

Well. I mention those stats because Vasy has been horrible of late. If he rebounds, the series won't be long...

The Devils are probably the fastest team in the league. Could see them giving your D alot of trouble on Dump ins and puck races. Hide Couburn and Girardi best you can. But it's not like the Devils have a good dcore either.

I expect alot of 5-4 games.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Well. I mention those stats because Vasy has been horrible of late. If he rebounds, the series won't be long...

The Devils are probably the fastest team in the league. Could see them giving your D alot of trouble on Dump ins and puck races. Hide Couburn and Girardi best you can. But it's not like the Devils have a good dcore either.

Coburn is a good skater.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

I think they will see a large amount of Hedman, Stralman and McDonagh. Think Sergachev, Girardi, and Coburn all rotate in as the other D. Going to be tough for NJ with at least one of those three on the ice all the time. Where in the regular season you were more likely to see more of Girardi, Coburn, and even Sustr. Im just curious to see how Vasi will be. If hes dialed in like he was against Boston earlier or even how he was against the Penguins in 2016 then this series shouldnt be long.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
My personal experience tells me that regular season matchups dont matter. Have seen it from both points of view. I will say this about the regular season series, they had the edge in goaltending. We outplayed them in the last 2 games, but NJ was able to take advantage of their scoring chances. Its going to be a tough series for TB because NJ will give it their all and TB needs to be ready for that. One thing I will say is TB will be pumped to prove that the regular season series was a fluke. Would actually feel worse about NJ if we had won 1 of them becuase think we would take them lighter had we won one. This way, TB will want to prove that they can beat NJ.
Yeah it can go both ways. Teams have steamrolled other teams in the regular season and steamrolled them again in the playoffs. Other times a team gets dominated in the regular season only to pound the other team later on. Remember 2011 Tampa vs. Washington? I think the regular season series against us was 3-2-1 in favor of Washington (including 6-3, 6-0 and 5-2 wins for Washington). Washington was also the best team in the East during the regular season back then. Tampa went on to sweep them 4-0 in the playoffs.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
-Stamkos "might" practice next week. "Might" .... Tampa is in big, big, major trouble.

Tampa Bay Lightning
Apr 6
Steven StamkosStatus: Out
Stamkos (lower body) will miss the final two games of the regular season, according to Lightning coach Jon Cooper, who is not ruling out the star pivot returning to practice next week, Bryan Burns of the Lightning's official site reports.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Stamkos could've played the last two games but was held out for precautionary reasons. He's taking part in a full practice today. Nice try though.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I didn't realize how bad Vasilevskiy has been the 2nd half of the season for Tampa

Since January 1, he has a .905 SV% and 3.20 GAA. Meanwhile, Kinkaid is arguably the hottest goalie in the league the past month or so.

Its going to come down to goaltending and depth. Usually teams in the playoffs are able to shut down opposing top players. I expect TB to pay extra attention to Hall and for NJ to pay extra attention to Kucherov. If either of those two get going, its going to be super tough for the other team.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
HFboards, where a discussion over a first round series involving the 3rd and 14th ranked teams in the league can turn into a downright war.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Its going to come down to goaltending and depth. Usually teams in the playoffs are able to shut down opposing top players. I expect TB to pay extra attention to Hall and for NJ to pay extra attention to Kucherov. If either of those two get going, its going to be super tough for the other team.

Tampa has a ton of fire power beyond that though.

NJ? Not so much.

Tampa in 5. I expect NJ to win one of their home games and its tough to sweep anyone these days.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
If we can pull this upset, it'll be in a seven-game instant classic.

These two teams have history and I'm so stoked for our first postseason meeting in 11 years.

You guys have had our number. Hopefully that motivates our guys to make some history.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Truth be told, I wouldn't be surprised to see Tampa come out and blow the Devils out of the water. They're the superior team as far as talent and skill. If they put it together, forget about it.

......however....

Devils are one of the hottest in the league right now, riding a red-hot goaltender. 7-2-1 in the final 10 leading up to The Show. Tampa, not so much.

Who knows.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Truth be told, I wouldn't be surprised to see Tampa come out and blow the Devils out of the water. They're the superior team as far as talent and skill. If they put it together, forget about it.

......however....

Devils are one of the hottest in the league right now, riding a red-hot goaltender. 7-2-1 in the final 10 leading up to The Show. Tampa, not so much.

Who knows.

Devils have nothing to lose. They will throw everything including the kitchen sink at Tampa. Hopefully we are ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad