Post-Game Talk: ECQF 1: FLYERS (H) 2 vs. Canadiens (A) 1 at Toronto, Wednesday, Aug. 12, 2020, 8:00 pm ET

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I think Niskanen will be fine. All his issues are easily fixable. Carter Hart has ice water in his veins. 22 years old and nothing fazes him. He looks like he’s been in the league for half a dozen years.
AV will have plenty to remind his team on playing the right way. You are not going to get away with playing like they did in the 2nd period often. Stop with the cute passes and manage the puck better.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
he has earned the right to figure it out on his own. His play this season and in prior playoff games has shown what type of player he is. He will figure it out

Sure. But you don't usually give him that opportunity in a one goal game in the playoffs. I'm not saying he should have been benched, only that increasing his shifts and giving him the most out of all of the defensemen is a strange call in that situation.

Reactions: BernieParent

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
We can all throw our lineups but in the end, AV isn’t going to radically change his lineup/usage philosophy in the middle of a playoff run. Barring injury, the most optimal lineup you will likely see if they go deep enough will be:

G-Couts-Jake
Oskar-Hayes-TK
JVR-Laughton-NAK/Pitlick
Farabee/Raffl-Grant/Thompson-NAK/Pitlick

Along with the D lineup you saw last night. Friedman isn’t getting in unless 2 D are hurt and Frost isn’t getting in unless a top 6 scorer goes down prior to Lindblom’s return or multiple forwards get injured.

Reactions: flyersNducks

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Me right now reading posts about splitting up Sanheim and Myers in the future.....

source.gif

Good thing the coaches didn’t take the advice of the experts here, and split them up in January.

“I have never liked the fit of a Sanheim-Myers pairing.”

“They’ve only been a passable pairing in maybe a handful of games at the NHL level to date. They’re frequently a mess”

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Sure. But you don't usually give him that opportunity in a one goal game in the playoffs. I'm not saying he should have been benched, only that increasing his shifts and giving him the most out of all of the defensemen is a strange call in that situation.

I just think he wanted to roll out the same 3 pairs all game. The Flyers had a good 3rd period as a team and just wanted to keep the normal line changes going.
I think if the Flyers had come out in the 3rd as they did in the 2nd maybe a change happens. AV had a good feel for his bench in the 3rd period. You don’t make a serious change when you have that.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I'm so tired of talking about Hagg. Can we just f***ing not.
Essentially there are no good players who play like Hagg. Even among his type he's pretty bad at it. He's like a pitcher who doesn't throw hard, doesn't have good control and doesn't have good breaking pitches. Why would you put him on your team?

Ghost made some nice plays at the blueline on both sides, which is of course one of his strengths that no one ever talks about and accounts for a lot of value simply because not having the puck in your defensive zone >>> defensive play in your zone.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm so tired of talking about Hagg. Can we just f***ing not.
Essentially there are no good players who play like Hagg. Even among his type he's pretty bad at it. He's like a pitcher who doesn't throw hard, doesn't have good control and doesn't have good breaking pitches. Why would you put him on your team?

Ghost made some nice plays at the blueline on both sides, which is of course one of his strengths that no one ever talks about and accounts for a lot of value simply because not having the puck in your defensive zone >>> defensive play in your zone.

I still just can't wrap my head around anyone watching Ghost move the puck at that high a level and then thinking, "Nah, I'd rather watch a confused Hagg skate around in circles a full 2 seconds behind the play all game."

Yeah but Ghost turned the puck over that one time. Nobody else on our D does that.

Reactions: Morinisbear

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Good thing the coaches didn’t take the advice of the experts here, and split them up in January.

“I have never liked the fit of a Sanheim-Myers pairing.”

“They’ve only been a passable pairing in maybe a handful of games at the NHL level to date. They’re frequently a mess”

Ooof....

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, to be fair, there were some growing pains with the Sanheim - Myers pairing, which was to be expected.
Sanheim - Braun and Ghost - Myers were an item for a while before they were paired.
When Sanheim - Myers settled in, the team took off:

1-7-20: 22-15-6
19-6-1 rest of season

Provorov: CF 52.53%, xGF 52.54%
Niskanen: CF 54.79%, xGF 55.24% [which is why his bubble slump is puzzling]
Myers: CF 54.66%, xGF 51.09%
Sanheim: CF 54.34%, xGF 54.05%
Braun: CF 45.42%, xGF 47.80%
Hagg: CF 43.24%, xGF 47.00%

G: CF 55.74%, xGF 55.74%
Couts: CF 57.92%, xGF 55.46%
Voracek: CF 56.04%, xGF 53.01%

Laughton: CF 45.82%, xGF 46.02%
Hayes: CF 48.74%, xGF 50.44%
TK: CF 53.06%, xGF 57.53%

Pitlick: CF 44.09%, xGF 44.08%
JVR: CF 54.02%, xGF 57.39%
Raffl: CF 51.11%, xGF 47.55%
NAK: CF 49.56%, xGF 54.09%
Farabee: CF 48.31%, xGF 52.03%
Bunnaman: CF 49.86%, xGF 54.08%

7 games:
Friedman: CF 36.71%, xGF 34.98%
Grant: CF 39.35%, xGF 42.65%
Thompson: CF 43.95%, xGF 50.10%

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
If Hagg would of played yesterday and turned it over as many times as Ghost did in the 2nd period. You'd be blaming only him, but when Ghost does it, it's a team problem. Haha

If Hagg had turned it over as many times as Ghost, it would still be an improvement over his normal game.

Have you never actually watched Hagg play? There's a reason he's a possession black hole.

Reactions: FLYERSFAN18

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
Claude Jullien had a stent inserted into a coranary artery today. Never cared for him as a coach, but good luck with this one.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I think we're pretty much in agreement on all of this.

But I'd just point out that the high-risk/high-reward plays don't necessarily need to be made with the "high-reward" being a goal scored by the guy he's passing to. If that were the objective, then yeah, there's really no point in trying it when you're passing to Thompson. Instead, some of the high-risk/high-reward plays are made with the ultimate objective simply being relieving pressure and getting a line change, where more traditional/safe decision is less likely to succeed. I think he makes those often enough that I trust his decision making when he tries it.

Just as a hypothetical to explain what I mean, say Ghost is stuck in the D zone with the 4th line. He has the puck and the typical choices are to either a) make a pass to a stationary covered forward, or b) give up possession by dumping it into the neutral zone... either way he's likely giving the puck right back to the opponent and they're still stuck in the D zone, unable to change. However, since he's Ghost, there's option C... keep the puck and try to use his skating to exit the zone himself. For most players, I'd just say dump it to the neutral zone, but if Ghost thinks he can skate it out, I'd typically trust that instinct because the majority of the time he's right and he'll be able to exit the zone with possession and make sure his teammates are able to get off the ice for a change.

(I know that isn't a great example, but I'm just trying to explain what I mean about the high-risk/high-reward plays not necessarily being with the intention of scoring a goal or being dependent on who he's on the ice with. How sometimes it might still the right move, even while with plugs. I don't mean to keep harping on this, I just don't think I'm explaining it properly and I'm trying to find the right way to get my point across. :laugh:)

Yeah we are on the same page. The discrepancy is just our definition of high risk. Something like Ghost deciding to skate it out of the zone is something I wouldn't even consider high risk for him. My definition is more trying to squeeze pucks through tight areas, or hold onto the puck under pressure to try to allow a forward to free themselves from coverage or maybe try to use his feet and hands to spring himself with a deke at his own line. Those sort of plays are what I'm talking about, I'm down for ghost to use his feet to relieve pressure regardless of who he is on the ice with because of the consistency he can successfully do it (plus he should still have support from teammates in that situation)

Reactions: Striiker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad