Pre-Game Talk: ECQ SERIES DISCUSSION | (1) Penguins vs. (8) Islanders | #BeLIeve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bert Marshall days

Oct 31, 2006
Some fans are rooting for the Isles b/c they're underdogs, but I get the sense there are plenty of fans of other playoff teams that would like to see the Isles beat the Pens to clear the road for them. But if the Isles can beat the Pens, who's left in the East to be scared of? In other words, let's beat the Pens to clear the road for US.

The whole hockey world hates Pitt and are rooting for us.

Pitt, the media, Bettman and the refs are rooting for Pitt.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Lots of arrogant Pens fans out there. Lots.

:)

Dude....it gets even funnier - HF Boards FORGOT us:

http://imgur.com/8QtNsre

(Picshare option's not giving me much love.)

That was twenty-seven minutes ago - NOT photoshopped. Five teams per conference, but the Atlantic only had four.

Pens fans are the worst, I hate everything about them. It would be that much better if we pull off the upset too.

I want this upset SO bad......I know whenever the "Pens Hate" comes out I mention this, but I am FROM near Pittsburgh and lived on the South Side (party district) for 2 years. I am going to hear so much crap from so many people if the Isles don't scare the hell out of the Pens at the very least.....I became an Islander fan twenty years ago, and it's the '93 victory that made the decision for me.

I won't be able to live this down if the Isles can't pull this off; I need this victory. I hate their cocky fans, many of which are fanboys, having only come out of the woodwork when the team was gifted Crosby. As for the rest of them? Cocky. So.....freaking....cocky.....I get along better with Ranger and Flyers fans than I do Pens fans. I hate their commentators, I hate their attitudes, I hate debatable level of preferential treatment they got....and they got a talented team out of it, too. They couldn't pull off what they can pull off without being a good hockey team. But good doesn't make a team invincible, and if this series doesn't go seven games.......:rant:

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
This isn't your yesteryear Islanders. I am sure many will be pulling for you guys. I know I am excited to see Grabner play. Give him more minutes dammit! I have his game worn jersey! hehe I am expecting a huge pay off there! Seriously, I loved his game for my Manitoba Moose. Such a fun player to watch. Met him... nice guy. Even served me pancakes. No really he did. Be jealous!

I like your forwards a lot. Tavares, Moulson, Nielsen, Martin, etc. And I love Mark Streit's story. How can you not respect this team and what they have done? I also have mad respect for any long-time Islanders fan who has stuck through all those God awful years. Trust me I know. Pens fan for 21 years... while the crap years weren't as long, it was still hard to take. True fans stick by their team no matter what, so you have my respect. Please accept it. I am a nice guy... fine, be that way...

Anyway, good luck in what should not be a sweep like many predict. I think this could be a very good one.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
Dude....it gets even funnier - HF Boards FORGOT us:

http://imgur.com/8QtNsre

(Picshare option's not giving me much love.)

That was twenty-seven minutes ago - NOT photoshopped. Five teams per conference, but the Atlantic only had four.

I want this upset SO bad......I know whenever the "Pens Hate" comes out I mention this, but I am FROM near Pittsburgh and lived on the South Side (party district) for 2 years. I am going to hear so much crap from so many people if the Isles don't scare the hell out of the Pens at the very least.....I became an Islander fan twenty years ago, and it's the '93 victory that made the decision for me.

I won't be able to live this down if the Isles can't pull this off; I need this victory. I hate their cocky fans, many of which are fanboys, having only come out of the woodwork when the team was gifted Crosby. As for the rest of them? Cocky. So.....freaking....cocky.....I get along better with Ranger and Flyers fans than I do Pens fans. I hate their commentators, I hate their attitudes, I hate debatable level of preferential treatment they got....and they got a talented team out of it, too. They couldn't pull off what they can pull off without being a good hockey team. But good doesn't make a team invincible, and if this series doesn't go seven games.......:rant:

Awesome post! :handclap:

I, too, have one of my good friends who's a Pens fan and what does he say after the Bs/Sens game? "Isles/Pens in the first round, sorry to crash your playoff party." That pissed me off sooo much, and made me want this series even more that much.

I started following hockey seriously after we got Tavares, but I was always an Islander fan my whole life, so you can imagine I haven't been able to experience any great Islander memories besides Shawn Bates. I want this series BAD. But I'm nervous in the process. Either way I'm ready.

Let's kick some Penguin ass!

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
Not to mention, I recall being at a certain afternoon game at NVMC when Bobby Nystrom scored an OT goal to win the Cup....

Too bad i wasn't alive yet, but i'd do anything to be at that game..

PS watching that 1993 series recap was really entertaining, especially watching Kasparitius pushing Lemieux around

Last edited:

Hershey Hockey

#AskNeal
Oct 5, 2010
Hershey, PA
Just took a quick look at the Pens HF Board and my god there is just so much bashing of our board. I want this even more now. Lets get it Isles!:handclap:

I did too, it's getting me way too fired up before bed. Kinda wish this was starting on Tuesday instead of Wednesday.

If the Islanders are even going to have a CHANCE in this series they need to take one of the first two in Pittsburgh. I'd love for it to be game one.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
As much as I hate to say this, I really do think there is one way we can take over this series and win it: goon it up. The Pens-Flyers series last year and Fight Night at the Coliseum two years ago are the clear examples. The Pens' achilles heal is tough, in-your-face, brutally physical and gritty hockey. When executed properly, they can't handle it.

Last year's Pens team, in terms of toughness, doesn't really even hold a candle to this year's team. Adding Morrow, Murray, Iginla, and Glass this season has made the Pens extremely tough. Engelland, Murray, and Orpik (Bortuzzo, too, if he ever gets playing time) are extremely physical defensemen. So while Philly definitely put a blueprint up about how to get into the Pens' heads, I think the Pens countered that by adding a lot of veteran grit to the lineup this season. We shall see.

IslesFan23

Oct 11, 2009
London
I did too, it's getting me way too fired up before bed. Kinda wish this was starting on Tuesday instead of Wednesday.

If the Islanders are even going to have a CHANCE in this series they need to take one of the first two in Pittsburgh. I'd love for it to be game one.

I would not be shocked if we took game one...especially if the team that played so well during the stretch run shows up. Pens will take us lightly for sure.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Flames fan here, I am fully in your corner. Hope you knock off the Penguins and have a great run. :handclap:

lboogie42*

when u guys arent playing us, i find myself to be cheering for you guys every game. please win. its nice to see a struggling organization that i like have a chance at the cup.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
It's seeing so many cocky Pens fans jeer and laugh about this series being an easy sweep that ticks me off......
I am not going to blow smoke up your butt, as it very well might be a Pens sweep. However, it won't be easy. I could see the Pens winning 4 straight VERY tough games. 4 1-goal games or maybe 1 plus an empty netter where everyone is saying the Pens were lucky it was a quick series. For those old enough to remember, similar to Oilers-Flyers in 80. Flyers swept 3-0, but 2 games were OT and Bobby Clarke said they wanted to end it right away and not give the Oilers any momentum.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Coming from White Plains (Isle since birth out of Huntington)...Meadowbrook to Hempstead Tpk seems like the only option, and that means hellish lines to get into the lots if I try to arrive anywhere within an hr of game time. As a result, planning on arriving at 9 for some Cinco de Isles tailgate.

Any other options/tips for getting there?

If you get there early enough, shouldn't be a problem. Other option is the exit before Hempstead Tpke, and go in the back way behind the Marriot, Nassau CC. Or get off at the tpke going east, make the left on Merrick Ave, make another left across from Eisenhower by the other Meadowbrook entrance and then head straight.

7:11 of OT

Not my trophies
Oct 26, 2002
Eastern Suffolk, NY
Visit site
Not to mention, I recall being at a certain afternoon game at NVMC when Bobby Nystrom scored an OT goal to win the Cup....

The absolute best moment in Isles history - and yes, I was there as well! As you can tell from my name, that moment left a strong impression on me!

The Isles will surprise many in this series. It will take the help of the hockey gods to pull it off, but this team is simply different this year. The next couple of years are only going to be better, but this would be a sweet way to start something very special for the next few years.

Let's go already!

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
If you get there early enough, shouldn't be a problem. Other option is the exit before Hempstead Tpke, and go in the back way behind the Marriot, Nassau CC. Or get off at the tpke going east, make the left on Merrick Ave, make another left across from Eisenhower by the other Meadowbrook entrance and then head straight.

I could be wrong but I believe the back entrance on Charles Lindbergh should be closed.. But your best bet is probably just getting early I will be there at around 9am.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
The absolute best moment in Isles history - and yes, I was there as well! As you can tell from my name, that moment left a strong impression on me!

The Isles will surprise many in this series. It will take the help of the hockey gods to pull it off, but this team is simply different this year. The next couple of years are only going to be better, but this would be a sweet way to start something very special for the next few years.

Let's go already!

I've had a few conversations over the years where people talk about the greatest moment of their lives. Everyone mentions getting married or when their kids were born. Those were obviously great days for me too, but if I'm totally honest.... ;)

And for younger fans (like 2ndGenIslander), yeah it was an amazing game, but parts of it (especially the 3rd period and first 7 minutes of OT) were basically nervous torture. :laugh:

I view this series as a no lose proposition for this young Isles' team. If they manage to win, obviously that's amazing. But even if they lose they'll learn a lot about what it takes to win. And it will help management evaluate players under playoff conditions. For example, I am very curious to see how Moulson performs in the playoffs.

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
Game 1 i think would be huge for this isles team...it may not win us the series but if we win game one they will at least know that the pens are beatable...confidence will be important

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
Game 1 i think would be huge for this isles team...it may not win us the series but if we win game one they will at least know that the pens are beatable...confidence will be important

They need to get out of the 1st period scoreless, that would be HUGE. I have a bad feeling that the Pens will score early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad