ECHL San Francisco -- ceasing operations 1/27/14

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Happens with a fairly often. Players quit....a Cyclones player, Theo Ruth, retired at 24 years old a few weeks ago. I've seen players quit who had NHL deals which were paying them well over $100,000 per season. ECHL players often leave to play in Europe as well.

Todd Robinson, one of the all time leading minor league scorers, quit Evansville of the ECHL last season to join the CHL Allen Americans where he won a CHL Championship.

Many ECHL players make roughly $500 per week plus housing. A lot of guys quit for better paying jobs every year.

Ruth couldn't stick in Milwaukee. He had no chance at the NHL. I wish him well in whatever profession he tries next. It is better than being a 28 year old NHL rookie.

returnoftheyeti

Jan 22, 2014
They keep talking about Oakland. Is there anywhere else besides Oracle that would work? What about in Berkley, on the Cal Campus? Anything that has seating in the 7k seating range, and close to BART?

Kmshrkx

Aug 5, 2005
As far as another building with ice making abilities and large enough for a minor league team, there isn't any other venue in the Bay Area, aside from CP, Oracle and SAP.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Ruth couldn't stick in Milwaukee. He had no chance at the NHL. I wish him well in whatever profession he tries next. It is better than being a 28 year old NHL rookie.

I'd rather have been a 28 year old NHL rookie at $550,000 minimum:laugh:

Ruth's NHL deal had expired (roughly $130,00 per year) and he was on an AHL deal this season.

Agreed. He wasn't going to go to the NHL.

How are Bitetto and Liambas looking?

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
What about in Berkley, on the Cal Campus?

I see this kind of question a lot.

Since my expertise is out west, allow me to answer to arenas in the Pac-12, Mountain West, WCC, WAC, Big West, and Big Sky.

Fresno State, Save Mart Center, which I think is technically off campus.

Since Cal State Bakersfield moved into the arena where the Condors play, they don't really count.

Nobody else has a basketball arena that could accommodate hockey. I know a couple places that hosted Ice Capades or Disney On Ice, but you can't get 180 feet of ice out of any of these places except Fresno.

Anyone who wants to mention North Dakota? Their basketball teams play in a smaller arena.

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
I see this kind of question a lot.

Since my expertise is out west, allow me to answer to arenas in the Pac-12, Mountain West, WCC, WAC, Big West, and Big Sky.

Fresno State, Save Mart Center, which I think is technically off campus.

Since Cal State Bakersfield moved into the arena where the Condors play, they don't really count.

Nobody else has a basketball arena that could accommodate hockey. I know a couple places that hosted Ice Capades or Disney On Ice, but you can't get 180 feet of ice out of any of these places except Fresno.

Anyone who wants to mention North Dakota? Their basketball teams play in a smaller arena.

The Fargo Force play in the USHL and there are some smaller arenas that have teams in the NAHL.

returnoftheyeti

Jan 22, 2014
You could put ice in the Bill Graham Auditorium, but my guess is that the concerts are more lucrative. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Graham_Civic_Auditorium

Isn't there a small, unused Auditorium in Oakland, by Lake Merritt?

*edit*
Here it is: http://urbanhabitat.org/19-1/allen-taylor
The Oakland Civic Auditorium. Perfect for an ECHL team. For this purpose, I am guessing that the new owners are going to want a "ready made" solution, not a build it yourself, but its too bad the Bulls owners did not build that out instead of the Cow Palace.

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
rossmckeon 12:50pm via Twitter for iPhone
Latest pro hockey failure in S.F.: ECHL Bulls vacate Cow Palace today, source tells me

SF Chronicle (Sharks beat writer)

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
SF hockey may have reduced (what's the state of local ice rinks), but San Jose has been increasing greatly.

SJ is among the country's leaders in # of adults participating in ice hockey (there are two MORE rinks on the board for Sharks Ice SJ, including ~5k arena) and also growing #s of kids participating.

And given the Sharks also operate rinks in Fremont and Oakland, the reports are that hockey is doing quite well there. (They are also trying to build rink in Pleasanton.)

Sorry but there's a lot to disagree with in this post.

Growing number of kids? Give me a break. When I started as a mite in 1998, there were at least 12 different teams in NorCal at every youth level. By the time I left in 2010, there were 5 or 6. And half were owned by the Jr. Sharks, which is NOT a good thing for hockey in the area. That organization is just scum and I won't get into why but I have very strong reasons for saying that.

And the Pleasanton rink is about as accurate a rumor as bigfoot sightings. They've been talking about that since I lived there as a kid back in the 90's. That will simply never happen it feels.

I really think part of the reason the Bulls failed is because of this. Yes, the Sharks are popular. That's because they win. The people in the are aren't hockey fans. And I can safely say this because up until this year, I spent my entire life there.

It sucks that the Bulls failed. Really does. Wish it worked out but that's the way she goes.

Thepainter

Feb 9, 2010
Bay Area, California
Sorry but there's a lot to disagree with in this post.

Growing number of kids? Give me a break. When I started as a mite in 1998, there were at least 12 different teams in NorCal at every youth level. By the time I left in 2010, there were 5 or 6. And half were owned by the Jr. Sharks, which is NOT a good thing for hockey in the area. That organization is just scum and I won't get into why but I have very strong reasons for saying that.

And the Pleasanton rink is about as accurate a rumor as bigfoot sightings. They've been talking about that since I lived there as a kid back in the 90's. That will simply never happen it feels.

I really think part of the reason the Bulls failed is because of this. Yes, the Sharks are popular. That's because they win. The people in the are aren't hockey fans. And I can safely say this because up until this year, I spent my entire life there.

It sucks that the Bulls failed. Really does. Wish it worked out but that's the way she goes.

Everything posted by LadyStanley are actual numbers. Not sure how you can "disagree" with it, but hey, this is the internet.

returnoftheyeti

Jan 22, 2014
While I agree that 2 mil in loss over 1.5 years is a good reason, I'd love more details.

The Bulls installed new ice making equipment, new scoreboards, hell, they even brought in real Internet Access to the Cow Palace.

I can buy that expenses were greater than revenue, my question is WHY? Rent too high? Not enough seats sold?
What could have helped this?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Attendance dropped by half from last season (which coincided with NHL lockout).

That's a big part.

They were trying to renegotiate new deal with Cow Palace on lease, and didn't get anywhere.

returnoftheyeti

Jan 22, 2014
They were trying to renegotiate new deal with Cow Palace on lease, and didn't get anywhere.

I'd love more details on this. I cant imagine the Cow Palace makes more sitting empty. There is probably a reason I am not a CEO, but if it was up to me, $15 admission, all seats, no parking charges, and advertise $5 PBR nights. People would go just for the cheap beer.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
While I agree that 2 mil in loss over 1.5 years is a good reason, I'd love more details.

The Bulls installed new ice making equipment, new scoreboards, hell, they even brought in real Internet Access to the Cow Palace.

I can buy that expenses were greater than revenue, my question is WHY? Rent too high? Not enough seats sold?
What could have helped this?

You answer your own question - they probably sunk well over $1M into the ice plant, scoreboards, and all. When you start $1M in the hole in the minor leagues, you're starting out pretty deep in the hole.

Had Curcio picked a city and a venue that was ready for hockey, he'd have been able to plow that $1M into marketing and probably done a little better.

---

I did a little digging, and according to Curcio they spent $2M in preparing the Cow Palace for hockey. How they ever thought they could be profitable, I'll never know...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad