ECHL Affiliations

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
San Jose hasn't had an official ECHL affiliation in a number of years.

They do have five goalies signed to NHL deals (three on ELS), so they might alternate two of the kids to ECHL. IIRC, they had players at Orlando and Allen last season.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Teams left for the Americans to affiliate with
St. Louis Blues
Winnipeg Jets
Vancouver Canucks
Seattle Kraken
San Jose Sharks
Los Angeles Kings

HRAds

Apr 13, 2007
Looking like Norfolk will be affiliated with Carolina this season leaving Allen as the only team with no current affiliation.

It feels so gross. I get there needs to be mutual interest and independence clearly was not working but there were better options out there.

HRAds

Apr 13, 2007
It feels gross???

I have never been impressed with the Carolina organization or how they have done things since they arrived in Raleigh. Of the available NHL clubs I would have much rather seen the Ads affiliate with LA or San Jose. It is a one year deal so hopefully the Ads can upgrade after the season.

Three house away from Raleigh or not, Hampton Roads is very much Caps territory with a strong Flyers and Pens contingent not far behind.

Last edited:

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
upload_2021-8-27_21-28-10.png

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Agree...Carolina is a great option...less than a 3 hour drive. Happy for them.
The travel distance between Norfolk and Raleigh really isn't important. The only potential advantage is maybe a goalie coach makes a trip to Norfolk to check in on a prospect once or twice a year, potentially. The travel is all going to be between Chicago and Norfolk.

Reactions: Atlantian

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
The travel distance between Norfolk and Raleigh really isn't important. The only potential advantage is maybe a goalie coach makes a trip to Norfolk to check in on a prospect once or twice a year, potentially. The travel is all going to be between Chicago and Norfolk.
Which is still the best travel of any remaining NHL teams potentially looking for an affiliation. The only other teams I would think may be interested are Winnipeg, Vancouver, or San Jose and all of them have a far greater travel distance

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Which is still the best travel of any remaining NHL teams potentially looking for an affiliation. The only other teams I would think may be interested are Winnipeg, Vancouver, or San Jose and all of them have a far greater travel distance
True, but really, once you are flying, it probably doesn't change that much. A lot of the time "flying" somewhere is spent getting to and from the airports and waiting around. The difference between leaving your apartment in Norfolk and arriving at the hotel in Chicago vs the hotel in San Jose is something like 10 hours vs 5 hours (quick google search reveals no direct flights from Norfolk to San Jose, so that includes a layover) With a two hour time difference between Chicago and San Jose the number of times this would result in a player making or missing a game is fairly small.

I'm not arguing that Norfolk would be better off with the Sharks vs the Hurricanes, or any other team. I think working with an organization that is more committed to sending players down, signing enough AHL contracts that they aren't constantly short-handed, having decent goalie prospects, financial considerations, etc etc are probably more important than travel distance. I'm glad to see them get an affiliate, since it may indicate more committed ownership, and a more stable situation.

My real point was that the distance between the ECHL team and the NHL team isn't that important, as almost no one ever makes that trip directly. (with rare exceptions of course - happened with the Royals once in 20 years that I can recall. Well, twice, but it was the same player making two trips a week apart. A goalie, who spent most of the year in the AHL, and needed to get into a couple regular season games with the Royals to qualify to be playoff eligible, but he was serving as the backup in L.A. at the time.)

Reactions: Atlantian and JMCx4

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Allen looks to the next ECHL franchise looking at an affiliation change like Fort Wayne and Greenville.... Kansas City's Mavericks (Independence) likely to be announced as the next ECHL Affiliate of the Seattle Kraken, replacing the two Calgary affiliates

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Fort Wayne aligns with Bakersfield/Edmonton as former Komet Chaulk is now coaching the Oilers; that now puts Wichita's Thunder without an active NHL Affiliation

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad