Post-Game Talk: ECF GAME 1 - The storm blew out to sea - BRUINS 5 Whalercanes 2 F - B's lead series 1-0

member 96824

Anyone who thinks that NBC is anti Bruins have been listening to Jack to much.

They call it both ways neutral. People are to used to home team broadcasts

I think NBC is so pro Bruins it’s kind of insane personally. Especially against Toronto but I mean who could blame them.

I think that the fact there are two sides tells us all we need to know. Truth is always in the middle

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
They are definitely selling the Carolina story much more.

They aren't calling against the Bruins per say but clearly they are trying to hype up Carolina should they reach the Final.
Let's just face the facts- they hate our team. They don't even bother to hide or disguise it.

It doesn't matter who we play against- their team is always better with the puck, excellent goaltending, yada yada yada

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
Jones gotta have that one. I’ll say it again ,out of all the four teams left the bruins have the advantage in goal with Tuukka . This is JMO the eye test . That’s all.

Reactions: Chief Nine

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
I'm talking about the period roughly into the early 2000s. Something happened around that time where NHL reffing got worse, and has progressively deteriorated.

It's backed by evidence. Kerry Fraser has talked some about poor reffing practices over the past decade. Even academia has done research. The UMass-Amherst study that charted 2.6 million shifts over three seasons showed that French-Canadian refs penalize English Canadian players at a significantly higher rate than English Canadian refs. That same study also showed that when two French-Canadian refs are on the ice at the same time English players get called for penalties far more than French players. It's unreal how awful and biased refs are in just that area alone, which isn't even addressing what I'm most concerned with. Research of seasons 2009-2014 showed that refs tend to even out calls as an intentional practice, and perhaps even worse make calls based on score, as teams with the lead get PPs at a rate much lower than the team that is trailing. And of course there is the study done by FiveThirtyEight in which it was shown that over a decade's worth of OT games studied that refs go the extra mile to manage PPs in OT, not calling the penalties that actually occur, but calling penalties based on situation. It's really no big secret that NHL reffing has gotten extremely bad. The eye test certainly can see how rotten it has become on the whole over the past 5 decades, but there is actual research showing how pathetic it has become, and of course plenty of anecdotal evidence from both players and former refs. If the situation, as some suggest, is that the game is just too fast and complex to accurately call, then there would surely be more randomness to what is taking place in terms of penalty calls. Unfortunately research and reality suggest otherwise.

Interesting post

I haven't done much research on NHL reffing, but I do know that it's gotten worse (from the eye test) over the last several years.

This may be a biased opinion from a Bruins fan, but 2011 was one of the better years for reffing in the playoffs as they let the players play for the most part and usually called the more blatant/obvious penalties and let the little stuff go.

...and IMO Wes McCauley and Kelly Sutherland have been two of the better referees (eye test again) in the NHL for a long time.

Reactions: Lady Rhian

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I'm talking about the period roughly into the early 2000s. Something happened around that time where NHL reffing got worse, and has progressively deteriorated.

It's backed by evidence. Kerry Fraser has talked some about poor reffing practices over the past decade. Even academia has done research. The UMass-Amherst study that charted 2.6 million shifts over three seasons showed that French-Canadian refs penalize English Canadian players at a significantly higher rate than English Canadian refs. That same study also showed that when two French-Canadian refs are on the ice at the same time English players get called for penalties far more than French players. It's unreal how awful and biased refs are in just that area alone, which isn't even addressing what I'm most concerned with. Research of seasons 2009-2014 showed that refs tend to even out calls as an intentional practice, and perhaps even worse make calls based on score, as teams with the lead get PPs at a rate much lower than the team that is trailing. And of course there is the study done by FiveThirtyEight in which it was shown that over a decade's worth of OT games studied that refs go the extra mile to manage PPs in OT, not calling the penalties that actually occur, but calling penalties based on situation. It's really no big secret that NHL reffing has gotten extremely bad. The eye test certainly can see how rotten it has become on the whole over the past 5 decades, but there is actual research showing how pathetic it has become, and of course plenty of anecdotal evidence from both players and former refs. If the situation, as some suggest, is that the game is just too fast and complex to accurately call, then there would surely be more randomness to what is taking place in terms of penalty calls. Unfortunately research and reality suggest otherwise.

But is this any different from in the past? This quote could be from any time in the history of the NHL.

Guess what, there were always French & English refs. And when there was only one ref the bias was probably worse.

With one ref players had to adjust their games to guys like Wally Harris, who "let 'em play". Bryan Lewis called a close game. Ron Hoggarth or Mick (Mister) McGeough were all over the place in style but pretty consistently bad in quality. Art Skov was a Flyers favorite, Philly going something like 20-1 in games he officiated.

Go back and check out OT box scores. You had to commit a felony to get a 2 minute penalty for as long as I can remember (back to the 60's) in OT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad