ECF | (2) Ottawa Senators vs. (2) Pittsburgh Penguins | Pens lead series 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Sens fans, honest question, not trying to ruffle feathers here. Why on earth is your power play so bad? Does Boucher literally not practice it at all? It's crazy to me with the roster you guys have that you're not having any success with it. What gives?

MoeManthaMustache

Aug 21, 2007
Don't think the Ottawa bench didn't notice the way the Pens coach had his "stars" on the ice at the end trying to run up the score. IF the Sens had any balls what so ever they will be pissed off enough to try and settle the score. Not saying the Sens will win Tuesday but a quick goal or two, a few rocking hits and maybe even a fight, a loud Ottawa crowd and we're going back to Pittsburgh!

For everyone here - this is a guy who enjoys Mike Milbury's intermission commentary.

If you've ever wondered who in the hell enjoys that crap, well here is the target audience.

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
Sens fans, honest question, not trying to ruffle feathers here. Why on earth is your power play so bad? Does Boucher literally not practice it at all? It's crazy to me with the roster you guys have that you're not having any success with it. What gives?

that's why the salt is to be thrown o'er ye shoulder, and we can all check our numbers for bobby ryan tomorrow.

MoeManthaMustache

Aug 21, 2007
The difference in this series is that Pittsburgh is now playing much more patient in Ottawa's end.

I don't know what, if anything, Ottawa can do to stop that.

Early in the series the Penguins would get possession, get the puck into Ottawa's end, and after a pass or two, throw it to the net. It would be blocked by the collapsing defense, and Ottawa would go the other way. They wouldn't do much, but it gave them more possession then before. You have the no-show of the entire penguins team in game 3 for about 12 minutes, but since that - the penguins have taken their time in the Ottawa end.

It's made a huge difference. They know they can win the board battles, cause turnovers.. so if nothing is there the pens are just sending back down into the boards and using their speed.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Everything aligned against the Senators last game, that will swing back in their direction next game. We've seen this before in hockey and a ottawa was left for dead after game 4 vs NYR.

They'll win game 6. And there will be some injuries in the game. Lots of hockey left to play. Lots will happen.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Zone entries have been terrible all season. Hard to explain why but I think the players overfocus on Karlsson to much and get caught watching him and standing around waiting for passes. PP was successful against NYR when it went down low to Ryan so look for that in game 6.

When Karlsson yelled at brassard it was because of the weak backcheck but Ottawa had a bunch of PP time beopfore that where they all just stood around. Look for them to get moving and skate the open lanes instead of standing in open lanes.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

But our PP only has to be good for 2 games and it will eliminate PItt. It's a PP that's either ice cold or it chatches fire, so look for it to catch fire.

A PP goal here and there for Ottawa and it's a completely different series. They won't get skunked so fans have incoming PP goals to look forward to in game 6 & 7

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Everything aligned against the Senators last game, that will swing back in their direction next game. We've seen this before in hockey and a ottawa was left for dead after game 4 vs NYR.

They'll win game 6. And there will be some injuries in the game. Lots of hockey left to play. Lots will happen.

No different then Pittsburgh in game 3 where all the early bounces ended up in the back of the net. But where the difference lies is that Pittsburgh has now out played Ottawa for most of the last 2 games. Sure today was a **** game for them... but what's their excuse for game 4 when they only really decided to play what... 1 full period?

They may very well win game 6 (wouldn't surprise me at all - winning that 4th game is always the hardest). But I don't think that just because they played like **** today that they will automatically play better on Tuesday. All I can say is they'd better hope that they can get that first goal... because if Pittsburgh does, odds are it's over for Ottawa.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
No different then Pittsburgh in game 3 where all the early bounces ended up in the back of the net. But where the difference lies is that Pittsburgh has now out played Ottawa for most of the last 2 games. Sure today was a **** game for them... but what's their excuse for game 4 when they only really decided to play what... 1 full period?

They may very well win game 6 (wouldn't surprise me at all - winning that 4th game is always the hardest). But I don't think that just because they played like **** today that they will automatically play better on Tuesday. All I can say is they'd better hope that they can get that first goal... because if Pittsburgh does, odds are it's over for Ottawa.

Im not worried about first goal. Boro will be back, Burrows will be back and the game will have high emotion and be extremely physical, if Pitt fans have been bothered by the physicality already, wait for Boro to go headhunting, this end of this series is going to be very chippy.

Burrows also was a great shadow for Crosby and Malkin and no wonder They've looked better since Burrows went out. But he'll be back.

Be a fun game 6. Lots of hitting, lots of tension. Can't wait.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Im not worried about first goal. Boro will be back, Burrows will be back and the game will have high emotion and be extremely physical, if Pitt fans have been bothered by the physicality already, wait for Boro to go headhunting, this end of this series is going to be very chippy.

Burrows also was a great shadow for Crosby and Malkin and no wonder They've looked better since Burrows went out. But he'll be back.

Be a fun game 6. Lots of hitting, lots of tension. Can't wait.

Sad when that's all a team has to look forward to, in their attempt to win. You'd think a team being down their #1D (Letang) and the only guy close to him in terms of skill (Schultz) as well as a top 6 winger would be enough of an advantage that Ottawa wouldn't have to resort to the dirty ****. :shakehead

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Sad when that's all a team has to look forward to, in their attempt to win. You'd think a team being down their #1D (Letang) and the only guy close to him in terms of skill (Schultz) as well as a top 6 winger would be enough of an advantage that Ottawa wouldn't have to resort to the dirty ****. :shakehead

It's not dirty, it's hockey. He's the best open ice hitter in the NHL and led the league by a large margin in hits. Pitt has to take hits to advance, and they'll have to take a couple of his huge open ice hits to adavance. Don't worry, your players can do it too.

And when it comes to head hunting. Pitt has nothing to stand on after Matt Cooke.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
It's not dirty, it's hockey. He's the best open ice hitter in the NHL and led the league by a large margin in hits. Pitt has to take hits to advance, and they'll have to take a couple of his huge open ice hits to adavance. Don't worry, your players can do it too.

And when it comes to head hunting. Pitt has nothing to stand on after Matt Cooke.

Head hunting is not "hockey", it is by it's very definition dirty.

And Ottawa does? They've knocked out 2 D with dirty hits, and then tossed a forearm to the head of another player... and I didn't have to go back 5+ years... but just at the **** that happened in the last 5 games. But then I guess that's what happens when you have an embarrassment of a hockey team that can't beat a team that's missing 2 of their best defensemen including their #1D. Had this been reversed and Ottawa was missing Karlsson, Ottawa wouldn't even be here. And if by some miracle they did get this far, it already would have been over. Yet here's Ottawa... down by a game to a team missing numerous key players. :laugh:

The whole franchise, the players and their fans should be embarrassed. Even more so when you get their fans talking about how they need to go headhunting as their last chance at winning. :shakehead

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Pens fans - we know how it is (Game 3) to be knocked around a bit. Don't try and rub it in. Enjoy the series and knock off the garbage. Let's go. It's not hard to ask people to be kind to one another.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Head hunting is not "hockey", it is by it's very definition dirty.

And Ottawa does? They've knocked out 2 D with dirty hits, and then tossed a forearm to the head of another player... and I didn't have to go back 5+ years... but just at the **** that happened in the last 5 games. But then I guess that's what happens when you have an embarrassment of a hockey team that can't beat a team that's missing 2 of their best defensemen including their #1D. Had this been reversed and Ottawa was missing Karlsson, Ottawa wouldn't even be here. And if by some miracle they did get this far, it already would have been over. Yet here's Ottawa... down by a game to a team missing numerous key players. :laugh:

The whole franchise, the players and their fans should be embarrassed. Even more so when you get their fans talking about how they need to go headhunting as their last chance at winning. :shakehead

Boro's game is open ice hitting, answering the call when it's time to fight and making forwards entering the zone play scared. Open ice hitting can be done by both teams, Bonino slashed our goalie in the head with his stick last game and no one seems to be mentioning that. It's hockey, it's dirty.

Pitts going to have to deal with a very physical Ottawa team next game, that's just the way hockey goes. And Boro will try and intimidate people, that's what he does. Pitt won't be afraid, they'll just have to put up with to and keep playing. That's hockey. If it was all skill based it would be figure skating

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Boro's game is open ice hitting, answering the call when it's time to fight and making forwards entering the zone play scared. Open ice hitting can be done by both teams, Bonino slashed our goalie in the head with his stick last game and no one seems to be mentioning that. It's hockey, it's dirty.

Pitts going to have to deal with a very physical Ottawa team next game, that's just the way hockey goes. And Boro will try and intimidate people, that's what he does. Pitt won't be afraid, they'll just have to put up with to and keep playing. That's hockey. If it was all skill based it would be figure skating

There's a big difference between wanting your team to light up guys with hard legal hits and headhuntung.

It's rather pathetic that you can't see the difference.

Edit. The pens "dealt with" cbj trying to hit everything that moved rather well. The sens don't have the big bodies like they do either. The one guy on your team won't get a lot of attention.

JWells16

Nov 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC

:laugh: What a vicious slash.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
There's a big difference between wanting your team to light up guys with hard legal hits and headhuntung.

It's rather pathetic that you can't see the difference.

Edit. The pens "dealt with" cbj trying to hit everything that moved rather well. The sens don't have the big bodies like they do either. The one guy on your team won't get a lot of attention.

Head hunting might be wrong word - how about Boro will be out to target the stars and will be a distraction next game to the Pittsburg forwards.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Head hunting might be wrong word - how about Boro will be out to target the stars and will be a distraction next game to the Pittsburg forwards.

Wrong word? Ya think?

That's absolutely fine. You have a guy who can lay out big hits? Absolutely use it. As long as they are clean and legal, light them up. As I said in my previous post, it won't work but its still awesome.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

Columbus and Washington have tried that and it didn't work out too well for them. Many of you seem to think these are the same Penguins from 2012, even though the last two playoffs have clearly proven otherwise.

Hey, hopefully opposing teams' coaches still haven't learned, because they keep getting beat. ;)

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
The difference in this series is that Pittsburgh is now playing much more patient in Ottawa's end.

I don't know what, if anything, Ottawa can do to stop that.

Early in the series the Penguins would get possession, get the puck into Ottawa's end, and after a pass or two, throw it to the net. It would be blocked by the collapsing defense, and Ottawa would go the other way. They wouldn't do much, but it gave them more possession then before. You have the no-show of the entire penguins team in game 3 for about 12 minutes, but since that - the penguins have taken their time in the Ottawa end.

It's made a huge difference. They know they can win the board battles, cause turnovers.. so if nothing is there the pens are just sending back down into the boards and using their speed.

Thanks, Moe. I appreciate that. I've been busy with work (and the time difference is brutal over here) so I didn't really catch game 1 and 2.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Wrong word? Ya think?

That's absolutely fine. You have a guy who can lay out big hits? Absolutely use it. As long as they are clean and legal, light them up. As I said in my previous post, it won't work but its still awesome.

Some hits are clean until they are dirty. Boro plays on the edge of that line, clean player, but when you hit as much as he does they aren't all 100% black and white legal hits. So if it's clean it's clean, if it's not, he'll get suspended, either way as long as he's targeting the Pittsburg stars and standing up straight and moving forward I'm okay with the result, he's a clean player that targets people for splatterings and that will Sens Pitt fans into a rage

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Columbus and Washington have tried that and it didn't work out too well for them. Many of you seem to think these are the same Penguins from 2012, even though the last two playoffs have clearly proven otherwise.

Hey, hopefully opposing teams' coaches still haven't learned, because they keep getting beat. ;)

3rd times a charm I guess, if it didn't work for CLB or the Caps it has to work eventually.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Some hits are clean until they are dirty. Boro plays on the edge of that line, clean player, but when you hit as much as he does they aren't all 100% black and white legal hits. So if it's clean it's clean, if it's not, he'll get suspended, either way as long as he's targeting the Pittsburg stars and standing up straight and moving forward I'm okay with the result, he's a clean player that targets people for splatterings and that will Sens Pitt fans into a rage

Rage? Ok. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad