ECF | (2) Ottawa Senators vs. (2) Pittsburgh Penguins | Pens lead series 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
Ottawa hasn't missed a single key player this series - Unless you're going to refer to Stalberg - who has 2 points these playoffs and had 16 points all year.

Pittsburgh is missing (or has missed): Letang, Schultz, Hornqvist, Rust, Ruhwedel, Sheary and Hagelin. Outside of Ruhwedel those guys are all key players for us.

Columbus, no. Simply because other than their 17 game hot streak, they were pretty much meh for the season and were playing like crap down the stretch. There was never really any fear that Pittsburgh would lose that series.

But yes it's embarrassing that Washington (the Presidents trophy winners) could not beat a Pittsburgh team who was missing their #1D and with Crosby missing essentially two games. And it will be embarrassing if Ottawa cannot do the same - especially after they took out Schultz too, who's the only guy we have close to a Letang replacement (and he's no Letang).

Some of the wins have been based on luck - no different then lots of teams. I mean it's not like Pittsburgh hasn't picked up a few wins this year based on luck. But lets not pretend that injuries didn't play a part in the Boston series and if Pittsburgh loses this that they won't have played a part here. If Ottawa needs 7 games to beat a Letang/Schultz less Pens... (on top of their other injuries) that is plain and simple, embarrassing.

So Columbus, a team that finished with 108 points is given a pass in a 4-1 series loss, while Ottawa, with 98 points in the season, being down 3-2 = embarrassing? And now you've pointed out that not only is it embarrassing if they lose the series to a team with Crosby, Malkin and Kessel, but even winning is 7 is embarrassing. Right...

Your other "great" point: Sheary= key Pittsburgh player with his 3 playoff points in 15 games, but Stalberg, Ottawa's leading penalty killer in the playoffs cannot possibly be a key player for Ottawa. Nor could Burrows, who doesn't even get mentioned despite having missed the last two a half games. Or Boro, who's been out for the large majority of the playoffs. And Karlsson playing on a broken foot is nothing serious, it's not like skating is a big part of his game. Brassard leaving early in game 4 and then not being able to even take faceoffs gives a good indication that he's hurt, too, among others.

If Ottawa wins, it's well deserved. If Pittsburgh wins, same for them, and nothing to be embarrassed about for either team if they lose. There's plenty of great players still playing for both teams and depth players have stepped up.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Well they did target the head. They were both deemed unfortunate good hockey plays because they kept their elbow in apparently. But both hits made contact with the head and resulted in concussions.

You watch the Wingels hit and he makes a conscious effort to keep his elbow in while he lined up Wilsons head. He saw Wilson wasn't going to come into him or maybe got a little excited and chicken winged/exploded thru Wilsons head. If Wilson would have skated into him while he lined up then it would have been the same excuses as the last two. Bobby Ryan knew what he was doing.

My point was, Sens are clearly teaching this or it's in the gameplan. They have been targeting heads all series. Pathetic.

:shakehead:shakehead:shakeheadWhat a well informed statement....
Don't see how you can take issue with Phaneuf's hit on Rust. If anything blame Crosby for the suicide pass.

Last edited:

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
Well they did target the head. They were both deemed unfortunate good hockey plays because they kept their elbow in apparently. But both hits made contact with the head and resulted in concussions.

You watch the Wingels hit and he makes a conscious effort to keep his elbow in while he lined up Wilsons head. He saw Wilson wasn't going to come into him or maybe got a little excited and chicken winged/exploded thru Wilsons head. If Wilson would have skated into him while he lined up then it would have been the same excuses as the last two. Bobby Ryan knew what he was doing.

My point was, Sens are clearly teaching this or it's in the gameplan. They have been targeting heads all series. Pathetic.

Well your point is a terrible one. Ottawa's not a dirty team, don't think anyone would call them that. Wingels made a dirty play at the end of a frustrating game where his team got beat down. Earlier this year Malkin made a dirty play on Wheeler. Ryan went hard into a player in vulnerable position. Earlier this series, Kunitz did the same thing to Burrows. You could come up with examples of these types of plays from every team in the league. It hasn't been happening consistently through Ottawa's year, or even through this series.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think the Sens are done personally. They craped the bed bigtime in Ottawa in game 4. That loss is purely on them and was the turning point of the series. The Sens beat themselves. A 3-1 lead going in Pittsburg would have still afforded them some breathing room. Even with a giant goose egg like the one laid today would of still had them in the driver's seat 3-2 heading home. Now the Sens have the daunting task of winning two straight games and I don't like those odds.

Don't think the Ottawa bench didn't notice the way the Pens coach had his "stars" on the ice at the end trying to run up the score. IF the Sens had any balls what so ever they will be pissed off enough to try and settle the score. Not saying the Sens will win Tuesday but a quick goal or two, a few rocking hits and maybe even a fight, a loud Ottawa crowd and we're going back to Pittsburgh!

Run up the score?

Pens kept attacking. What the **** do you want them to do? Sit back and trap when it's 4-0? Pens play Pens hockey, not Sens hockey. Penguins wanted to make sure the Senators were snuffed out the entire game and did just that. Are you suggesting the Penguins should have taken it easier after they were up a decent amount? This is playoff hockey. You don't take your foot off the gas for nothing. Nothing. If you're mad at that, you need to watch a different sport.

Sens also took runs at Pens players and tried that extra crap after the whistle. Wingels did the most gutless thing to end the game.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Well your point is a terrible one. Ottawa's not a dirty team, don't think anyone would call them that. Wingels made a dirty play at the end of a frustrating game where his team got beat down. Earlier this year Malkin made a dirty play on Wheeler. Ryan went hard into a player in vulnerable position. Earlier this series, Kunitz did the same thing to Burrows. You could come up with examples of these types of plays from every team in the league. It hasn't been happening consistently through Ottawa's year, or even through this series.

But they are and not only Pens fans. So save the "We're not bad guys, trust me on this!" without having the proof all over the ice to prove you wrong.

Ryan's supposed clean play targeted a player in a vulnerable position that was already battling another player, that's gutless and dirty.

Wingels specifically went after Wilson's head at the end of the game, so late in the game that a big hit would have done nothing at that point but to go beyond that and just flat out be dirty to a player that was playing a clean hard game all game long, that's dirty.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
But they are and not only Pens fans. So save the "We're not bad guys, trust me on this!" without having the proof all over the ice to prove you wrong.

Ryan's supposed clean play targeted a player in a vulnerable position that was already battling another player, that's gutless and dirty.

Wingels specifically went after Wilson's head at the end of the game, so late in the game that a big hit would have done nothing at that point but to go beyond that and just flat out be dirty to a player that was playing a clean hard game all game long, that's dirty.

Who else is calling Ottawa a dirty team? I've heard boring and lucky a lot, not so much dirty.

Where's all your proof? Is it the two hits being talked about? That's it? I just gave two examples of similar plays by Pittsburgh players, are they considered a dirty team league wide too? I'm really struggling to see where you're coming from. I could see saying that Anaheim plays a dirty game, not really the case for Ottawa. Just two games earlier it was Wilson running around at the end of the game trying to lay a big hit "so late in the game that a big hit would have done nothing at that point but to go beyond that."

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Who else is calling Ottawa a dirty team? I've heard boring and lucky a lot, not so much dirty.

Where's all your proof? Is it the two hits being talked about? That's it? I just gave two examples of similar plays by Pittsburgh players, are they considered a dirty team league wide too? I'm really struggling to see where you're coming from. I could see saying that Anaheim plays a dirty game, not really the case for Ottawa. Just two games earlier it was Wilson running around at the end of the game trying to lay a big hit "so late in the game that a big hit would have done nothing at that point but to go beyond that."

:laugh: What?

Show me the Kunitz one. You guys have created such a weird narrative for yourselves. I really hope the Pens buck their trend and finish this tuesday. Then good luck with your off season and the injury excuses.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
:laugh: What?

Show me the Kunitz one. You guys have created such a weird narrative for yourselves. I really hope the Pens buck their trend and finish this tuesday. Then good luck with your off season and the injury excuses.

I provide a logical argument and the reply is...

":laugh: What?"

Very well thought out...

Anyway, I'm not sure saying that Ottawa is not a dirty team would classify as a weird narrative.

The Kunitz hit was in game 1 I believe, went hard into Burrows who didn't have the puck along the side boards in Ottawa's zone. There was also the Dumoulin hit on Ryan in game 1 from behind as another example of a questionable Pittsburgh hit.

I guess the difference is I'm aware that hockey is a fast game where these types of things can happen, it doesn't make a team dirty. Wingels' hit was dirty, but again, it was one hit by one player. That doesn't make a whole team dirty.

Edit: It was Hornqvist on Burrows. Burrows was reaching for the puck as he was being hooked by Rust and Hornqvist hit him before he touched the puck, although it was right as he was reaching for it.

Last edited:

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
There's no doubt that Wingels hit today was easily the most blatant dirty hit and intentional headshot in this series so far. Phaneufs was perfectly within the course of play and a bad situation for Rust to be in. Ryan's was a little dirty to me given the going by the puck and stuff but there is no way to really stick that with intent to injure so clearly and he at least is in the vicinity of the puck battle on the boards and trying to do something that impacts the game.

Wingels went out of his way to get in position with seconds left in a blowout and clearly got his elbow straight at Wilsons head with zero regard or interest in where the puck was or what was going on. That is an intentional headshot and intent to injure and he just decided to take out some frustration with zero hockey impact.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yes pictures of contact. Never said he didn't get his head, but prove that he targeted it.

How fast do you think their reflexes are? They're humans.

Ruhwedel is already leaning and Ryan has time to either go after the puck or make the hit. He chose to hit a player in a vulnerable spot. But moving on from that hit, the Wilson hit is such a joke, the league has to do something there. Constantly finding excuses to not do anything about head shots is why they are going to be sued to a record pay out.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If Ottawa wins, it's well deserved. If Pittsburgh wins, same for them, and nothing to be embarrassed about for either team if they lose. There's plenty of great players still playing for both teams and depth players have stepped up.

Yeah, winning against a team with multiple key injuries to key players is always "well deserved". :laugh:

For your sake you'd better hope they do. Because it will be embarrassing as **** if they don't. You lose to a team with the amount of injuries Pittsburgh has right now, and that's just brutal.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

I remember reading this when the playoffs started. Hindsight I know, and the series is far from over, but maybe working on the PP between games might have been a weapon as well?

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
We heard the same after Game 4 vs the Rangers. Wouldn't shock me at all to see the Sens Sens this one back to Pittsburgh.

I wouldn't be "shocked" either. Mildly surprised and disappointed though.
Much more so if we don't finish the job and move on to the final.
At the end of the day I think Ottawa are what I thought them to be. Ie. good but not great. Anderson was great for the first three games and you got the OT win in game 1, and with the kind of injuries we've had, Ottawa had their chance. Ultimately I think we are just better though, and now it would be very surprising if an experienced team like the Pens don't get it done.

deepelemblues

May 25, 2016
Pittsburgh

I remember reading this when the playoffs started. Hindsight I know, and the series is far from over, but maybe working on the PP between games might have been a weapon as well?

part of the pens offensive success in the last 2 games has been ottawa being more aggressive itself and making a ****ton of turnovers trying to do so but the pens have also clearly been working on ways to mess ottawa's groove up in practice

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
part of the pens offensive success in the last 2 games has been ottawa being more aggressive itself and making a ****ton of turnovers trying to do so but the pens have also clearly been working on ways to mess ottawa's groove up in practice

No, Game 4 the Sens were ready to repeat what they did in game 3. They underestimated the Penguins in Game 4, thinking they lost enough players and the 5-1 win was enough to come back and give it to them again in the 1st period, except the Pens made the correct/necessary line-up changes, adjusted their system accordingly, and then controlled about 90% of that Game 4. Then Game 5, it was pure and utter domination, Pens usually go up a few goals and then sit back on their heels, they didn't do that this time, they attacked in waves, they did not let up, they showed the killer instinct of last year for the first time this year's playoffs.

That Game 3 was a pivotal game for the Penguins. They lost some very key players but made the right call for adding the right ones back in. Can the Sens force a Game 7? Of course they can, nothing is 100%.

But the Penguins can also come out with the same killer instinct they were starting to show in Game 4 and what came to fruition in Game 5. The only issue is, in those games where the other teams have been blown out, tempers flared and they let off steam near the end.

Ottawa's Wingels went and did the single most stupid thing he could have done. His team could have been heading back home, showing some life in the end of that Game 5, with something to build off of. Instead, they poked a team that was already flying high and basically gave them even more of a reason to buck their trend of not being able to finish on the first chance.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad