Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
Going to be a much closer series. Gotta give Caps credit and Holtby is playing amazing.

Bolts in 7.

Reactions: Sk8M8

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
This is great. Not only are the Caps free of the monkey on their back but it seems to be concensus here that they have no shot against TB. That's a perfect set up

Well, anyone saying that is wrong. The Caps just beat the 2x Cup champions, and not just the 2x Cup champions but a team that has utterly tormented them and destroyed their soul time and time again. They finally got one over on a team that's done that to them.

I know, the obvious argument is "they can't possibly get that kind of intensity again" after beating a hated rival like that. My argument would be that if they can get over a mountain like that, there isn't a mountain they aren't capable of climbing over (whether they actually succeed is a totally different story).

I'll take my chances with Washington. Preferred them to Pittsburgh sure. But it's gonna be a difficult series and wouldn't be surprised at all if Washington steals a game in Tampa and really starts making the Lightning sweat this one. The Lightning won in Washington in February; it was their first win in Washington since the night Bin Laden was killed. Washington is not an easy place for the Lightning over the years; of course, neither was Boston and we saw how that went.

Reactions: Aliceanna and Sk8M8

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
I think Bolts fans are relying on what they saw of Holtby a month ago. I'll say it again different goalie. I think you guys will still win, but i think you will be surprised when you see Holtby.

BoltsFanPinellasPark

Apr 18, 2018
I'll take Bolts in 6. They've been amazing on the road this season, but I can see a home and home split or and even split through game 4, then Bolts take home and road in 5 and 6. That's my gut feeling, that's how I thought Boston would go tbh. Can't advance on home ice every time, can we? Love those game 5's and here is to the end of those crazy weekend afternoon games.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Overwhelming favorite too apparently. Jeez. You'd think we were playing the Devils again or something silly like that.

I think it's because we were underdogs against Boston. Feels like a lot of people thought Boston was coming out of the East. And then we handled them so easily it was shocking.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Different goaltender than he was a month ago

I mean, yes, but wasn't it around the ASB, when Kucherov did that to Holtby then, that sent him into that tailspin that he didn't get out of until the end of March? I'm all in favor of Kucherov sending Holtby into another tailspin right about now.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Tampa won the east and we are pretending to be surprised they are favorites? Against a perennial playoff disappointer. Nobody is buying it, bolts fans

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Washington beat a weak Columbus team and the ghost of the Pittsburgh Penguins. Unimpressed.

People keep saying "This is a different Holtby" which is great, but this isn't Columbus or Pittsburgh and this isn't the same Lightning team, either.

Congrats to them for getting over that hump, but it ends in the ECF.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Well, anyone saying that is wrong. The Caps just beat the 2x Cup champions, and not just the 2x Cup champions but a team that has utterly tormented them and destroyed their soul time and time again. They finally got one over on a team that's done that to them.

I know, the obvious argument is "they can't possibly get that kind of intensity again" after beating a hated rival like that. My argument would be that if they can get over a mountain like that, there isn't a mountain they aren't capable of climbing over (whether they actually succeed is a totally different story).

I'll take my chances with Washington. Preferred them to Pittsburgh sure. But it's gonna be a difficult series and wouldn't be surprised at all if Washington steals a game in Tampa and really starts making the Lightning sweat this one. The Lightning won in Washington in February; it was their first win in Washington since the night Bin Laden was killed. Washington is not an easy place for the Lightning over the years; of course, neither was Boston and we saw how that went.

Your putting too much stock into Pittsburgh being the 2x champs. This year's version of the Pens were not good.Their D is bad. They had one line...and yet...it took till game 6 OT for the Caps to win.

Beating Pittsburgh isn't going to magically make these guys more inspired. They're already inspired. What can't be ignored is that Tampa has better forwards, much much better D, better coaching, and goaltending is about even.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
I think it's because we were underdogs against Boston. Feels like a lot of people thought Boston was coming out of the East. And then we handled them so easily it was shocking.

To no one more than me. I expected Boston to beat us and only doubled down on that after the Game 1 fiasco. After yesterday's game I was ready to pull up one of my posts and quote it but the thread was locked and I wasn't able to do it. I was never expecting us to do that to Boston.

But need to be careful to not drop the intensity now that it's not a division rival. Easy to up the intensity when playing a team we hate like the Bruins. The Capitals are a long-gone division rival of years gone by. Different story now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad