Game Analysis: EC Round 1: New York Rangers vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (PIT wins 4-1) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawthorne*

No way, bro. Top shutdown d-pair in the league...

defenders-1516-NYR-shots.png

this is just depressing. what is wrong with AV? on the ice they suck, on paper they suck ... :shakehead

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
After a decade of dragging this organization through playoff series, it's be nice to see this team rally and stay alive for Hank.

But there's a lot of things that would be nice.

BarbaraAlphanse

Steal a game Saturday. You don't need to be better, just luckier. They were playing better or equivalent to the Pens up until the Hank injury. They played better or equivalent up until the random blocked shot that went right to a pens defender and then a break away. They had all the momentum in the 3rd until the pens player somehow barely got to a puck a second before Boyle would've had an open net, blindly chipping it barely missed clearing the glass for a 2nd 5-3, and somehow the puck redirected to a pens player for a 2 on 1 3rd goal.

Steal game 2.

Even if we don't, did everyone forget the year where the Pens actually had a powerhouse team, the Rangers had a far worse team than they now have, pens went up 2-0 at home and Rangers tied the series the next 2 games?

We aren't out of it.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
After a decade of dragging this organization through playoff series, it's be nice to see this team rally and stay alive for Hank.

But there's a lot of things that would be nice.

Making an AHL goalie look like an AHL goalie would be nice too.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
God AV, Staal and Girardi were sooo bad last night.

The first goal Girardi slowed down on the dump in, Staal was caught with his head up his *** while the puck was sitting right there and then his man beat him to said puck.

Then Girardi with the most pathetic shot attempt and terrible awareness by not knowing Crosby was getting in behind him.

On the PPG he was basically caught in no mans land, just screening Raanta and doing nothing.

The biggest no no in hockey is giving up goals in the final minute of a period. The Rangers did that twice tonight. It's got to be on the coach.

Then this idiot has Glass out there down 2 goals with 4 minutes left.

It's as if AV was the only one who did not know pairing Girardi and Staal was a horrendous idea.

And to cap it off Boyle caught just staring at the puck and a wide open net, then the Penguins turn it up ice for the 2-on-1 shorty. changed the entire game because Boyle is way too slow to react. But how does AV not know that?!!

The only positive I can take out of this is that the Penguins weren't all that great last night. Maybe they changed things up to protect Zatkoff (which they did marvelously), but I really feel as if the Rangers lost this game more so than Pittsburgh won it.

The first 3 goals were so damn avoidable, it was like watching mites on ice out there with the mistakes they made. But good teams make you pay for them.

So despite us losing the game for ourselves, the same problems will still exist, so I really don't see thing changing in this series.

Last edited:

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Coming in this thread be like:

23a42149f138cd4c0887b75e45d88c02.jpg

Glad we have so many positive pollys around here :laugh:

Unfortunately it will hurt the most for you when you realize this team is not going to be able to do anything this series.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
this is just depressing. what is wrong with AV? on the ice they suck, on paper they suck ... :shakehead

He's too invested in giving his vets the benefit of a doubt and allowing them a chance to rise to the occasion, etc etc. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but by the end of the season he was running Klein out with McDonagh more often than Girardi which says to me he realized how poorly Girardi was playing, but now he's trapped into having to play those guys somewhere so it's hope they can turn back the clock or bench them and he's not going to bench them.

It's super frustrating and I can only hope management is trying to figure out a way to overhaul the defense. Hell, even if they don't keep Yandle, they need to find a way to change things up. Boyle and Yandle out, Skjei and McIlrath in just is not enough, Girardi has to go one way or another at this point if this team wants to remain competitive.

This team still makes the same mistakes they were making at the beginning of the season which is really the big kick in the ass. The defense is getting worse and the forwards don't help out enough because they're trying to play like the defense is competent but it's just not working anymore. I think a lot of us held out hope that they would manage to tighten things down by now but it's not happening.

It's just that when you're a team like the Rangers that's relying on depth with the forwards and who don't have a superstar forward, you need all parts of your team playing well and the defense falling apart makes it impossible for them to match up against elite teams in the league. Even when they overall play well last night, you can't make those huge gaffs and mental lapses that result in goals against at this point in the season, but it's been a consistent occurrence all season long.

Gorton better see that changes are needed especially on the blueline and make moves accordingly this summer. I don't even care if they buy out Girardi at this point, just having him off the roster and a smaller cap hit is a net win even if they're taking a hit for it for the next 8 years

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
If the buyout is 1.25 mil a year for 8 years, you do that all day and every day till the cows come home. Give him a nice old retirement ceremony and thank him for his service.

It's not. That buyout cost doesn't factor in the signing bonuses he's owed. RB posted it recently, but I think the buyout in years 2 and 3 is close to $4M against the cap.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I don't know about anyone else, but I thought the Rangers were the better team by far yesterday. Zatkoff was playing on a ridiculous level of adrenaline. If they play every game like they played last night, they'll win this series, Hank or not.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I don't know about anyone else, but I thought the Rangers were the better team by far yesterday. Zatkoff was playing on a ridiculous level of adrenaline. If they play every game like they played last night, they'll win this series, Hank or not.

I don't know about better by far but we were the better team.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
again, you can complain all you want about Girardi, Staal, etc. But who makes the decision to put them TOGETHER, and then match them up against one of the best players in the history of the game?

who decides that?

you can say that he doesnt have options, etc...thats fine..but does he have better options? even if they arent good options...are they better options?

I dont blame staal, girardi, etc for their play...i really dont...because any coach with any sort of ability to read how his team is going would have adjusted by now...sure, maybe you give them 20-30 games to snap out of it...maybe you ride them thinking they just need to work themselves out of it. but its been since the effing preseason that this crap has been going on. 10 games in i made a post about how worried i was with what i was seeing...got railed...50 games in i said this team needs to blow it up and be sellers...got railed....start of the playoffs i said they would be swept by the penguins...got railed...

at least each time the railing was quieter. not saying i told you so...im saying this was clearly predictable. you dont need to do any of the analytics stuff. you dont need to be a professional hockey coach or a general manager...you just have to understand hockey at the basics to see this was coming.

wins and losses mean nothing. they can be statistical abberations. teams can win games over a season where they simply dont deserve to win by a combination of luck, goaltending, timely scoring, etc.

but what ive said for a decade now is that if you play good hockey...sound defense, aggressive offense, cycle the puck, work the other team down low, crash the net, set screens, get pucks through..you know...basic hockey 101 crap...then wins will happen in the long run.

rangers have been a smoke and mirrors team this year. significantly worse than any team Torts ever had except for maybe the year the lost to carolina.

and id argue that this may be one of the most talented teams on paper that we've had in a looooong time....and its been relatively healthy.

our GM made a lot of mistakes before he turned the reigns over to Gorton...Gorton made more mistakes with the Hagelin trade (what he got...not making the trade) and the Talbot trade (should have gotten more imho). The Staal trade was foolish but in a vacuum i can understand why it was done.

our coach...well ive gone over that a million times.

lots of players ice cold...Nash, Kreider, etc.

A godawful penalty kill and a god awful powerplay (at least in part due to our coach not understanding that...*gasp* if you play your best point man on the PP, you score more PP goals! last night non withstanding).

so many things wrong with this team.

I think you start with the coach, and completely gut it. i posted my plan elsewhere where the team could be competitive next year, and incorporate a lot of good young assets.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

I don't agree because the breakdowns that were the difference in the game aren't rare occurrences but things that the Rangers have been allowing almost every game for the entire year, and you're not going to beat good teams when you give them so many good scoring chances like that.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I don't agree because the breakdowns that were the difference in the game aren't rare occurrences but things that the Rangers have been allowing almost every game for the entire year, and you're not going to beat good teams when you give them so many good scoring chances like that.

See, I don't think you're assessment is accurate only in the sense that, even that number of breakdowns rarely leads to 4 GA.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Andrew Gross
‏@AGrossRecord
AV is considering lineup changes (McIlrath). Says MStaal played better than Girardi. Says some of Girardi’s rough game b/c of rust.

Rust? RUST!??!?!?

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

A "challenge."

On top of the other challenge which is playing against a superior team who is already 1 game up in a 7 game series, whilst also being down your top defensemen.

Why stop there? Maybe they can all play with only one hand on their stick or only score by deflecting it in off of an opposing player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad