Game Analysis: EC Round 1: New York Rangers vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (PIT wins 4-1) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
"Somehow outlasted Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist"... How does **** like this get published? Outlasted him? Dude took a stick in the eye from his own teammate...

When Game 1 ended with a 5-2 Penguins victory, the 18,588 inside ear-splitting Consol Energy Center were chanting “Zat-koff, Zat-koff!†for a third-string goaltender who backstopped a shutout through 43 minutes and somehow outlasted Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist.

http://www.tsn.ca/zatkoff-a-surprise-but-his-success-is-not-1.471530

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
Hey look, the team with the better possession numbers lost out to goaltending and timely goals! Too bad we were on the wrong end of that. I miss the days when we were merely winning on luck. I'll gladly have those back, thanks.

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
Losing to Zatkoff is a travesty. All of those easy chest shots early on helped him settle in. And those empty net misses... wow.

Get out of Pittsburgh with a win on Saturday and there might be some hope. If not, **** off.

park rangers

Optimist
Feb 7, 2009
NJ
Sam and Joe stated a few times that Skjei had a fantastic game (for his 1st playoff game).

I thought he was a liability on defense and I wonder if I'm the only Rangers fan who thinks that..

He left his post a couple of times and was a turnstile for Schultz late in the game.

What do you guys think of his performance?

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Sam and Joe stated a few times that Skjei had a fantastic game (for his 1st playoff game).

I thought he was a liability on defense and I wonder if I'm the only Rangers fan who thinks that..

He left his post a couple of times and was a turnstile for Schultz late in the game.

I think he looked like a rookie who is not ready for this yet.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Following up on the Lundqvist injury and why he was pulled...

He's fixated on the puck and he gets blindsided by friendly fire in an almost impossible way (stick has to be angled a certain way to even peak through the cat eyes of a goalie cage). Once he was down, I said he's going to be *SHAKEN* up completely, that can mess with a psyche so bad, I don't care how good the player is.

After they scored ~30 seconds later, esp on that kind of goal, I knew he was shaken up as I called prior. Management probably pulled him because if Hank let in 5 goals last night and it spiraled from a freak accident, that can weigh in on a goaltender's mind. It's better for him to have a fresh psyche than to possibly get beaten to a pulp over some acident Hank couldn't control, a snowballing effect.

I thought the decision is rather smart because there's a *TON* of hockey to be played still, a ton.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Sure the Rangers showed signs of hope at times last night. But if can only pot 2 on Zatkoff, arguably the worst goalie in the league, then how do we expect to beat MAF? Feel like we didnt even have many grade A's. 1st goal under 30 left in the 1st punched us in the gut, and when Crosby somehow gets a breakaway with a minute left in the 2nd (wtf? How?) i knew this game was over. Weve made 2 deep playoff runs and the experience didnt show jack s*** last night. Disgusted

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Skjei was good last night to me. I thought the Skei-Boyle pairing in general did a great job yesterday

Maineice11

Dec 7, 2006
Maine
I think he looked like a rookie who is not ready for this yet.

I thought having Boyle as his pairing was a huge mistake, Boyle wanders so much and puts so much pressure on his d pair to cover up, that's a lot for a rookie in his first NHL playoff game and only a handful of regular season NHL games. With that taken into consideration, I think he did pretty well.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Years worth of idiotic roster moves have dragged a cup contender back down to the mediocrity from whence it came. Yea its fun to point out what an idiot Girardi was on the breakaway but ultimately everything you see out there is not on the broken down geriatrics on the ice, it's on the idiot GM's who thought it was a good idea to construct a team with nothing but them.

8 years of smart building and sometimes brilliant acquisitions all ruined in less than 3.

Couldn't even remotely fool myself into thinking this team was anything but a waste of time as is.

Throw in a prideful, inept coach who has zero roster management abilities.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
First period they had plenty of zone time and tons of opportunities and shots to put the puck behind an unproven goalie. They didnt. All they did was build up the goalies confidence. We've seen it so many times in the playoffs. They have to play the same but just find a way to bury the puck

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
On the 2-1 Goal how is it possible that Nash is going off the ice for a change? ?? At the exact time that Dan Boyle is fumbling the puck again...?

Lundqvist or not... this team cannot overcome mental errors like this.

Too many players making the same mistakes over and over.

hawthorne*

Why does AV call out Yandle when Girardi and Staal were far worse??? Yandle made a mistake, but makes up for it by still playing well. Girardi makes mistake after mistake and does NOTHING positive, yet he escapes criticism from coach and beat writers alike. How is that even possible? He's the worst defenseman in the league, if this were a Canadian team he'd get **** on by reporters on the daily.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

He looked like Chris Pronger in his prime compared to Staal and Girardi

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
At this point, I'm so disgusted over this season and last night I'd rather see McI and Diaz play from here on out.

Let McI go back with yandle and let Diaz play with Skjei, klein with Staal.

We're going to lose this series, and I don't mind losing. But the thought of losing with the exact same major problem thats been dragging us down since opening night in Chicago is simply stomach churning. I'd rather go down swinging with the kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad